News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I've had Presto Errors before. It was often caused by a newbie presto mistake like messing up tap-on / tap-out randomly. Sometimes it resolves itself overnight (after the penalty is automatically applied) but you should haul ass to a GO wicket, that's when you can easily get a refund: ASAP after your mistake. TTC/Shoppers cannot help with refunds, but GO cashiers are very flexible in giving your refunds for Presto mistakes if you're quick to visit the wicket.
I checked last night and the GO trip from Port Credit to Union was now charged correctly. I wonder if when I tapped at Port Credit one of the card error taps got through.
Over the years, see how much your car use decreases. Maybe when your car wears out (e.g. Time to replace car) you might instead use carshare
My car is almost 18 years old, so yes, I have been thinking of not replacing it. That's one of the reasons I gave the bikeshare/GO route a feasibility test. Why wife's car is brand new, so she can drive me to Union in the winter. It's that TTC hit that I want to avoid, even with the announced savings when combined with GO.

Most annoying part of the trip was the return BikeShare. I'm standing at the NE Bay/Front station, but my Transit App keeps trying to release a bike on the SE Bay/Front station. I suppose the GPS gets thrown off, but the app is supposed to show you the options of what's nearby, and it wouldn't list the NE Bay/Front station. So, after five mins I figured out I could zoom into the map and force it to release a bike at my station. No biggie, still learning.

Congrats on experiencing your first #etiquettefail! There will be more.
Thanks. I do very much value the quiet zones in airports and trains. When I watch people yapping at high volume in one sided conversations, sharing personal info, oblivious to the looks on their companions' faces I want to cringe, but usually just walk off.

I'm standing at the NE Bay/Front station, but my Transit App keeps trying to release a bike on the SE Bay/Front station. I suppose the GPS gets thrown off, but the app is supposed to show you the options of what's nearby, and it wouldn't list the NE Bay/Front station. So, after five mins I figured out I could zoom into the map and force it to release a bike at my station. No biggie, still learning.
I just like using my bikes share card. Insert in slot at the station, bike unlocks immediately. I use TransitApp when I forget my bike share card. They're backups of each other.

Some love to go wallet-less and use Apple Pay, Transit App, and whatnot, but not me -- I still carry a wallet!

Last edited:
I just like using my bikes hare card. Insert in slot at the station, bike unlocks immediately. I use TransitApp when I forget my bike share card. They're backups of each other.

Some love to go wallet-less and use Apple Pay, Transit App, and whatnot, but not me -- I still carry a wallet!
Thanks. Yep, I activated my card and tested it yesterday, released a bike and then immediately returned it.

I see you can leave your car in GO lots for 48 hours at no charge. That makes me want to keep a beater car at Port Credit just for going back and forth to the office from the station in winter.

The sad reality is that this makes eminent sense - today.

Capital cost of said beater car - $500/yr
Insurance - $1,000/yr
License plates - $100
Oil change and safety inspection - $100
Tire wear - $75

Compared to
MiWay cofare - $1.50 per day x 200 working days/year

Clearly the differentiating factor is not economics. Miway could make you an offer at a higher fare, if they could resolve the other differentiating factors - time, convenience, comfort.

PS - could we offer you a free bike to save the cost of the parking space?

- Paul

The YRT page regarding the TYSSE extension has been updated and expanded.

Under the Highway 407 Station tab, the platform map shows 16 (!) bays for GO. There must be big plans for this station.

An obvious, near-term move is for GO to redirect buses from York University to this new station. I understand York University is eager to see a reduction in the number of buses traversing their campus, but AMA is quoted as saying: "Nothing is going to happen at this point in time. Their buses will continue," And I'm sure there will be unhappiness at the forced connection and potential extra fare, even at the reduced rate of $1.50.

Has there been any info released on if/how GO will restructure services in-light of the subway opening in December? Or will it be status quo? Pending better fare integration?

The YRT page regarding the TYSSE extension has been updated and expanded.

Under the Highway 407 Station tab, the platform map shows 16 (!) bays for GO. There must be big plans for this station.

An obvious, near-term move is for GO to redirect buses from York University to this new station. I understand York University is eager to see a reduction in the number of buses traversing their campus, but AMA is quoted as saying: "Nothing is going to happen at this point in time. Their buses will continue," And I'm sure there will be unhappiness at the forced connection and potential extra fare, even at the reduced rate of $1.50.

Has there been any info released on if/how GO will restructure services in-light of the subway opening in December? Or will it be status quo? Pending better fare integration?
This has been discussed quite a bit already on the TYSSE thread. Today there is still no agreement with TTC on reduced fares. Based on lack of forthrightness on Metrolinx's part, I assume they're still trying to negotiate. Whether that's true or not, I believe that ML does not want to be embarrassed about not accomplishing that as their goal, so expect them to wait till the very last minute before opening to announce that there will be no route changes. That 16 bays are allocated to GO is very old info. It's been clear for a very long time that ML thought they'd have this matter settled years ago already.

This has been discussed quite a bit already on the TYSSE thread. Today there is still no agreement with TTC on reduced fares. Based on lack of forthrightness on Metrolinx's part, I assume they're still trying to negotiate. Whether that's true or not, I believe that ML does not want to be embarrassed about not accomplishing that as their goal, so expect them to wait till the very last minute before opening to announce that there will be no route changes. That 16 bays are allocated to GO is very old info. It's been clear for a very long time that ML thought they'd have this matter settled years ago already.
And now it won't even be available on opening day. TTC co-fare for GO is starting on January 1st, let alone free transfers.

I've heard a number of complaints over the years about the fact that GO's system map doesn't actually show bus routes, it just shows where [unspecified] buses go.

So I tried making a system map myself. GO's routes change significantly by time of day, so to actually show routes you need a separate map for each period (Weekday Peak, Weekday Off-Peak, and Weekend). Here's my shot at a weekend map (PDF here):

GO2017.png

The map is really cluttered, and this is just the weekend when most routes are simplified and many don't operate at all. A weekday system map would be absolute chaos, so that's probably why GO doesn't bother with one.

Attachments

• GO2017.png
    GO2017.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Wasn't sure if article this should be in the GO Construction thread or this one, but I found this article interesting - and current - on the issue of adding more GO train service to the Milton Line and CP Rail's position. Might be relevant for other lines where GO doesn't own the tracks, how municipalities react, advice for senior political leaders. Headline only below.

All-day Milton GO stopped in its tracks by CP, says Metrolinx

any word on when 12 car trains come to the KW line? In one of his series of "Platform Press Conferences", the Minister of Transportation announced in May 2015 (at the Bramalea GO station) that 12 car trains would come to this line by the end of 2017.

Anyone know if this is happening or is Brampton about to see a year where two major Ontario Gov't GO transit promises were broken in the same year?

Back