News   Jul 18, 2024
 816     1 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 730     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 566     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

How long do you think it would take to get from Niagara Falls to Downtown Toronto on a GO train? It currently takes almost 2 hours on VIA. 1:15 From Niagara to Aldershot.

Once you get out to Niagara Falls and St. Catharines, I wonder how many people will be using GO to get to places other than Toronto. How many people live here who work/go to school in Hamilton, for example, or vice versa? Expanding service here might make Hamilton more attractive for business and help it transition from a manufacturing centre into something more viable in the long run.

In no way do I deny this, and it would be a great catalyst for Hamilton. However, there is still a need for proper inter-city rail service in Ontario. Commuter rail sounds good for politicians, but it really is no substitute.

Last edited:
There's still the persistent rumour that GO Transit will be testing weekend trains to Niagara this summer. Though it's a bit late right now to not have already announced it

EA to do what? Run a passenger train on a railway line that they have been running passenger trains on for well over 100 years?

You don't need an EA to add service.

Don't they need the EA to build station and layover facilities? The GO extension to Kitchener is also an addition of service on a railway line that they have been running passenger trains on for well over 100 years. It has an EA, which is why I'm curious.

Don't they need the EA to build station and layover facilities? The GO extension to Kitchener is also an addition of service on a railway line that they have been running passenger trains on for well over 100 years. It has an EA, which is why I'm curious.

If they need to build new facilities, then yes, they would. The stations along the Kitchener line are unsuitable for regular GO service as the platforms are too short, among many other reasons.

But, they may not need to do an EA if they didn't need to build new facilities (but they wouldn't be able to open all coaches as VIA only opens a single door at places like St. Catharines).

Easy loophole is to pay VIA Rail Canada to accept GO tickets and add extra runs. This would probably not be considered an undertaking under the EA Act.

Don't they need the EA to build station and layover facilities?
Why would you neel to build stations and layover facilities. There have been passenger trains running this route for many, many years. Stations exist, as well as sidings. One or two trains on weekends aren't going to require any new construction.

The GO extension to Kitchener is also an addition of service on a railway line that they have been running passenger trains on for well over 100 years. It has an EA, which is why I'm curious.
It proposes a significant increase in traffic, and in particular the construction of new stations, new sidings, and laying a second track over significant distances. Nothing like that is currently proposed past Hamilton.

I would at least expect there to be a public information centre/consultation regardless of whether or not a full EA is required.

GO Transit is going to have fun with its zone fare system - they still use old paper tickets that's based on a two-digit zone - and they're all taken up. Not only that, GO hasn't even bothered to correct the fare discrepancies on its current zone fare system.

GO Transit is going to have fun with its zone fare system - they still use old paper tickets that's based on a two-digit zone - and they're all taken up. Not only that, GO hasn't even bothered to correct the fare discrepancies on its current zone fare system.
Expect a complete revamp of the fare system as part of Presto. Problem is, the Peterborough/Niagara services will come before Presto rolls out in full.

Back