News   Aug 14, 2024
 855     1 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 691     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 558     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

In my perfect hindsight 20/20 contingency plan, I would hold the first train at Bramalea to accommodate the remaining passengers, then let it fill up as the following trains arrive, dump passengers, and turn back east. The unknown is how long it takes to fill up completely (and how many people can grab a bus, etc). The other question would be how many trains have to hold because they need to tie up at the outer ends. There is enough platform capacity at Bramalea for a 'shelter' train plus the turnbacks, but that may not be the case at all stations.

Under no (avoidable) circumstance should a GO train hold between stations for an hour or more with passengers on board.... a health and wellbeing issue. But I could buy one staging at Malton, the next at Etobicoke North, etc once Bramalea is full.

Definitely something that should be planned out ahead of time, and not attempted on the fly.

- Paul
other than the people heading for Georgetown and further west (which is really a small number of the people on the trains)....there is really no need for anyone to wait around for any great length of time on a train at Bramalea.....as I said before, the next two busiest stations on the line are Brampton and Mt.Pleasant....even if every single person headed for those stations decided they needed to go to the stations (as opposed to getting a ride or cab from Bramalea) I would bet you that BT/Zum could move them all and get them to their destination within an hour.....add in any augmentation to that by GO shuttle buses and I can't see the value in any of those people hanging around Bramalea.....the people going further west might be more confortable in the station/shelters than staying on a train.

Have you seen those stations/shelters?? Especially in the winter, the trains themselves are much more comfortable, imho! :)
Since I did not use plural I was refering to "station" and, yes, I have spent a lot of time at Bramalea station and stand by my suggestion that there is enough room in the station or in shelters or under sheletered areas of the station to accommodate the percentage of people that would not find a way from Bramalea to their final destination until GO did it for them.

If your suggestion is that it would not be so in Winter....then that could be part of the branch decision tree but in the situation we were in the other day....I would definitely ship all trains out to Bramalea.....serving the majority of customers on the line "as normal" and use that station as the launching/distribution point for people going further west.....people would still be free to make this personal decision "nope, I am headed for Georgetown and don't want to be figuring out what to do at Bramalea...so I am going to stay at Union"....but I don't think the majority of people would do that.

upload_2016-6-11_11-20-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-11_11-20-36.png
    upload_2016-6-11_11-20-36.png
    810.8 KB · Views: 641
people would still be free to make this personal decision
This is a crucial point being missed. You don't have to be a full-on Libertarian to realize the *individual* is quite capable....and has *every right* to decide for themselves *given as much information is available and provided* in their own best interests.

Are we all wards of the state?
cbrown2009 said:
the trains themselves are much more comfortable, imho! :)
So stay in them if passengers are forced to. You make a point that defeats your argument. Do you not understand the ability to supply Hotel Power with the separate head-end generator even if the prime motor is shut-down? Meantime, the passenger, if at a station, or on a siding adjacent, has the choice to use an alternative at that point, or stay on the train until such time as other events determine.

There was some sort of photo shoot involving one of the Toronto to Kitchener GO Trains in the vicinity of KW station on Friday evening. Maybe stock photos for this event.

- Paul

Patrick Searle ‏@Patrick4ONT 43s44 seconds ago
#KitWat: Premier @Kathleen_Wynne & Transport Minister @StevenDelDuca are in town Tuesday. It's GOnna be big. #onpoli
I just found out digging on the Twitter link that Brantford gets hourly bus service to Hammer starting September. This is excellent news for taking newbies down the Cambridge to Brantford rail trail, the section between Cam and Glen Morris is spectacular, and I can continue to Hammer or Port Dover, but newbies might want to call it quits at Brantford. So this gives them a way back to TO on GO (presuming they came out on 25 bus to Cam).

Back