News   Jul 15, 2024
 211     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 519     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 622     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I think it's a "next day" type of informative article that will cover more information of the cab cars, such as an interior tour of the cab cars. Those kinds of articles take more time to write.

There's never been any wide media coverage of the interior yet, and presumably this may have been the first opportunity but that they decided it wasn't worth livetweeting, but needed work to make a full comprehensive article to bypass the repetitive nature.

The other shovelnouncements (I hereby coin thee new word, by my sword), while some of us are excited, are a bit repetitive at this stage. We already know about the increased LSW service, with the coming GO RER era, with Lakeshore trains every 15-minutes. This would explain the 50% more trains, since we already have a massive surge of LSW trains during peaks, so adding 15-minute offpeak would only increase total daily LSW train trips by 50% if they're referring that PowerPoint slide to that (though it referred to the whole GO network). So it is perhaps declared, LSW 15-min, by 2020, but details would be nice, if it's just a rehash or anything subtle that's new.

Last edited:
This is on Del Duca's Twitter;

CGf8Bz4VIAA7jfC.jpg

At GO Transit's Willowbrook Facility in Mimico to unveil new modern cab cars & announce more LSW GO Service! #onpoli

Attachments

• CGf8Bz4VIAA7jfC.jpg
    CGf8Bz4VIAA7jfC.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 722
So it is declared, LSW 15-min, by 2020? That's a very aggressive timeline. Electricified or diesel?

Can't imagine the Oakville to Union stretch be anything but electrified - if they can't do it for that stretch, they should just pack up and go home on the electrification file.

AoD

Can't imagine the Oakville to Union stretch be anything but electrified - if they can't do it for that stretch, they should just pack up and go home on the electrification file.
No kidding. But there'll soon be enough trainsets to possibly do diesel 15-min service on Lakeshore west, if they're still working on electrification. At least up to Oakville, since there's enough rail capacity to do 15-min all day Oakville using today's diesels, as it's already being done during peak. Though that doesn't make much sense, as that would potentially conflict with electrification construction. Better to keep it 30-minute during construction.

Christ, how many ties must Del Duca go through with all his press conferences?
Well there's 63 GO stations ... :)

Looks like this "more LSW service" announcement boils down to 10% more offpeak service by 2020 and 6 more trains (from 47 to 53) by 2020. i.e. another reannouncement

Well there's 63 GO stations ... :)

Looks like this "more LSW service" announcement boils down to 10% more offpeak service by 2020 and 6 more trains (from 47 to 53) by 2020. i.e. another reannouncement

I am in "too lazy to do the math so I will ask someone who probably has a good explanation mode"......if they are already on 30 minute off peak on LSW and they are going to 15 minutes....how is that not a further doubling (ie 100% increase) in off peak service?

I am in "too lazy to do the math so I will ask someone who probably has a good explanation mode"......if they are already on 30 minute off peak on LSW and they are going to 15 minutes....how is that not a further doubling (ie 100% increase) in off peak service?
Lol, perhaps they are announcing that ... but that's not until 2023/2024.

Yes, but it's only a 50% increase in total daily trains, when you account for the peak train surges.

Today, the Lakeshore peak surge sends almost as many trains incoming/outgoing (in a compressed time period) as the total number offpeak 30-min service (for the rest of the day and evening).

Wow, look at this! Remember those firstrenderings with totally redesigned seats? you know how the chairs so far are the same, with redesigned cushions? Well here's a look inside the new GO cab car...

Untitled.png

But just as I was at the peak of being impressed, then I saw the downstairs...

Untitled 2.png

What the hell?! It's a wood-like look, but the lighting makes it look pink. Reminds me of the older cars in the system.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    427.9 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Untitled 2.png
    Untitled 2.png
    279.5 KB · Views: 704
View attachment 47444

What the hell?! It's a wood-like look, but the lighting makes it look pink. Reminds me of the older cars in the system.

At first glance my thought was honestly "wow GO did one heck of a seat upgrade in their old coaches". I agree, the wood panels look weird.

Ahhh, those will be better sleeper seats!

That'll definitely bring a few people to the York concourse from the TTC-heavy Bay concourse; all GOtrain cabs are on the westward end of the train at Union.

Last edited:
Ahhh, those will be better sleeper seats!

That'll definitely bring a few people to the York concourse from the TTC-heavy Bay concourse; all GOtrain are on the westward end of the train at Union.

I find a lot of people just come up the stairs from the Bay concourse and then walk west along the platform. It's easier than navigating through the maze down below to get to the York concourse.

That's very true, however, there's now a long straight corridor to the York concourse in Union that has now opened. Also, when the moats gets redone, we can also walk east-west along the moats, too. Also, when the retail level, there'll be additional fast east-west route, between the two concourses. And the TTC will connect directly to this retail level.

Back