News   Jul 15, 2024
 318     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 462     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Finally. This is what we've been waiting for, what everyone has been bitching about.
What many have been saying is likely starting in September 2015.

GO has said they'd restore mid-day off-peak service once construction ends. Looks like they'll do it.

My money is on September 2015.

What many have been saying is likely starting in September 2015.

GO has said they'd restore mid-day off-peak service once construction ends. Looks like they'll do it.

My money is on September 2015.

local media here is speculating it is more than that and using the words "all day"

The crash standards are the driver for the new cab cars. There were several accidents in Los Angeles which established that BBD could improve its design. This isn't just a crew issue, it affects the passenger space also.

Definitely. And after the recent spat of in train cab car fatalities in grade crossing collisions(Valhalla, Oxnard) I just don't feel comfortable operating those tin cans anymore. Different equipment sure, but the Bombardier bi levels are no better. It was disgusting how that locomotive tore through that coach in Chatsworth like it was nothing more than a piece of paper.

Patrick Searle ‏@Patrick4ONT 8m8 minutes ago
9AM FRI: @StevenDelDuca to annc #MoreGOService at #Bramalea GO w @HarinderMalhi @AmritMangat_MPP @dhillonvic & Mayor @LindaJeffrey #brampoli

god I hate twitter lingo, can someone translate that into actual english please

local media here is speculating it is more than that and using the words "all day"
I'd assume it's all day. I'd assume it the 18 weekday trains (9 in each direction) that Metrolinx announced last month would be added in the current fiscal year.

It's not exactly a secret. Those with inside knowledge have been hinting at this for many months. The ministry and Metrolinx quantified it last month. The only remaining surprise is the start date, and the schedule.

Though they could surprise me by running even one of the reverse peak trips to Kitchener.

9 AM Friday (tomorrow), the Minister of Transportation will announce more GO service at Bramalea GO with 3 Liberal MPPs and the Mayor of Brampton.

Thanks, I was being half sarcastic/half serious - "AmritMangat" sounded more like the name of a company then a person and I still have no idea what "brampoli" is suppose to be. Yeah I realize could find out by going on twitter(obviously don't use it, hate the idea of a 160 character limit), but things should be clear enough that one shouldn't have to.

Last edited:
I still have no idea what "brampoli" is suppose to be.
#brampoli is (I assume) a hashtag for Brampton politics. It's just a keyword so those searching for such a tag (which start with the hash '#' symbol) find it. Similarly #TOpoli #ONpoli #UKpoli #CDNpoli , etc.

As tweets go, that one was less clear than many.

Announcement was just recommitment to the entire idea of 15 minute RER service to Bramalea. They even dodged a question about when actual service would start.

Even GO Media person (who is very helpful) said this to my question on Twitter: "Wish we had more final details. We're still negotiating with CN but hopefully news soon."

Announcement was just recommitment to the entire idea of 15 minute RER service to Bramalea. They even dodged a question about when actual service would start.

Even GO Media person (who is very helpful) said this to my question on Twitter: "Wish we had more final details. We're still negotiating with CN but hopefully news soon."

Not disputing the first part (never heard the announcement) but to be fair.....her bolded answer above was in response to your question on when additional service can get to Brampton....not the Bramalea announcement today.

I hope these speeds will be far more frequent with RER.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

As we move to RER over the next 10 years, we will not need 10-12 trains on all lines all the time. As we move to EMU equipment, you will be able to break trains down or up faster and cheaper than trying to do it with today equipment.

How do you figure? Unless there's going to be some huge regulatory change in the next couple of years - and I've certainly heard nothing of the sort in the works - EMUs are not going to drastically affect how the actual operation of the system runs on a day-to-day basis. Will they need a bit less equipment? Perhaps. But breaking up trains on the fly isn't going to happen.

Based on my travel between PC and Burlington, you still can get away with 5 cars off peak.

Based on my travel around Union during the day, a 5 car train would be leaving people behind.

As we know, faster run and turn around with EMU will require less train sets to be on the line to maintain better service.

Again, how do you figure? For one, there is absolutely, positively no information whatsoever on what form these supposed EMUs will take. Hell, we don't even know if Metrolinx will choose EMUs at all. And beyond all that, as I wrote above, EMUs aren't going to change how the railroad operates.

Look at AMT in Montreal - do you really think that how the Deux-Montagnes Line runs is any different than their Lakeshore Line, or our Lakeshore Line for that matter?

It was disgusting how that locomotive tore through that coach in Chatsworth like it was nothing more than a piece of paper.

In its defence, the closing speed of the two trains was what, 80+mph? I'm surprised that all of the locos fared as well as they did.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Based on my travel around Union during the day, a 5 car train would be leaving people behind.
Not necessarily during offpeak, if the trains are frequent (15-minute-and-better). Frequency can compensate. Consider the 6-car single-level TTC subway moves far more people in one hour at peak than Lakeshore West does at peak (8 trains 4:45-5:45). Some European cities have run commuter trains at subway-like headways (3-minutes!) at peak.

Again, how do you figure? For one, there is absolutely, positively no information whatsoever on what form these supposed EMUs will take. Hell, we don't even know if Metrolinx will choose EMUs at all. And beyond all that, as I wrote above, EMUs aren't going to change how the railroad operates.
This is very true, but look at the large number of planned frequent services planned for the Georgetown Corridor. If Metrolinx intends to run express trains AND allstop trains (UPX, diesel Kitchener trains, SmartTrack GO RER or just GO RER) in both directions, then it starts warranting EMU performance to reliably slot trains between trains (e.g. between UPX trains). Otherwise, Metrolinx would have to scale back the Georgetown corridor plans. UPX is already a Multiple Unit, and it dramatically outperforms the existing GOtrains, so the performance profiles make it difficult to slot UPX and pre-existing GOtrains together on the existing tracks. I've made a long post in regards to this respect (two pages long). Simply put, the railroad mathematics of the Georgetown Corridor points to at least one more EMU-route, if UPX continues to stay a MU (EMU) and they intend 15-min bidirectional service with multiple trains. At peak there would be 15-min-or-better service in five directions contending a 4-track corridor; involving SmarTrack/GO RER 2-way, UPX 2-way, and Mt Pleasant peak-direction diesels, all 15-min-or-better). We haven't even talked about corridor capacity used up by Barrie RER or Milton peak trains, which presumably will use separate tracks (cramming 6 tracks through Bloor will be needed). Only EMUs allow you to tightly slot train services between trains with short headways. There's a big reason why nearly all subways use EMUs

And we haven't even merely *thought* about potential future HSR service increasing pressure towards EMUs (There is an feasibility/EA under way for this corridor now and Libs want this to happen in ten years, it's more realistically 2030s+ (delays+density+viability) to the point where HSR might replace UPX during its end-of-life as a London-Kitchener-Pearson-Kitchener route (HSR to Pearson is presumably accomplished in theory via a Woodbine Racetrack stop to a discontinued UPX spur that is converted to run a LINK extension to all Pearson terminals). This requires two of the tracks to be dedicated to HSR, bumping or mergeing services to the remaining track per direction, and EMU performance required to slot services with sufficient performance for frequent service on all.

Even without HSR -- the Georgetown corridor mathematics is going to either cause EMUs or broken promises (e.g. greatly scaled-back RER as an example). Very predictable two possible outcomes.

Last edited:
Press events and "announcements" like today drive me nuts.

There was absolutely nothing new "announced" no timeframes, no dates, no schedules. In fact there was nothing that was not in the election platform and/or the budget. Just another "over the next 5 years" statement.

I would love some media outlet to have the guts to just report this as "today, GO and the MoT gathered a bunch of politicians and media at a suburban rail station to announce nothing."

The service, when it gets there, will be appreciated.......but, at some point, the government has to realize the election is over and people want to see trains.....not re-announcements.

I would love some media outlet to have the guts to just report this as "today, GO and the MoT gathered a bunch of politicians and media at a suburban rail station to announce nothing."

Media has thousands of hours of content to fill with irrelevant garbage like this. They are the ones who actually want endless rehashing of the same thing over and over.

Media has thousands of hours of content to fill with irrelevant garbage like this. They are the ones who actually want endless rehashing of the same thing over and over.

I actually don't mind something like this. Yes, it would have been more useful if there were a few more details to pass along, but the average joe doesn't watch for announcements like this like a hawk. Repeating announcements, especially when the previous announcement was packaged in with other stuff, is useful for the average person.

It's a lot like hearing an audio announcement on an airplane in 2 languages when you speak those two languages. To you it seems repetitive and pointless, but to someone who only speaks the 2nd language it's being announced in, or was focused on something else the first time it was announced, it's useful to them.

Back