News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 427     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Quick question about GO, hope it is appropriate for this thread.

Last spring we were at a friends house near Kingston and Eglinton, walking distance to the GO station. We were going to take the last train downtown at around midnight but the automated kiosk would not sell us tickets. Is there a way to buy a return ticket from Eglinton GO while still downtown?

Thanks.

other than the obvious "get a presto card".....yes you can buy a day pass between two locations which GO describes as follows:

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/fares/tickettypes.aspx said:
Definition

Unlimited travel in one day between two specified fare zones
Sold at a rate of two times the fare that would be payable by an adult, child, or senior for a single, one-way fare
Other important info

Valid on the day of purchase only; cannot be purchased in advance
Keep your ticket handy for inspection
Not refundable or transferable

I don't think there's anything new from today's press conference with Minister Del Duca. Here's the graphic they used. Looks like they will keep using those electrified bi-level train graphs. I think someone mentioned they resemble trains currently used for commuter rail in Germany?

GOSto.jpg

Attachments

• GOSto.jpg
    GOSto.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 2,499
If you're really worried, carry your back pack in your hand. You're also less likely to smack other commuters.
Not worrying on myself, but for the public as a whole, including the gradual increase in students using GO, as service frequency begin to better cater to them. And indirectly, the concern for Union's reputation especially post-revitalization.

Those look like low floor bilevel EMUs. Do those even exist?
Edit: Yes, the image is the Stadler KISS EMU trainset. 17 inch floor height. One step up from today's GO low platform, fully compatible. Plus optionally allows rampless near-gapless level boarding when platform height is optionally raised. All cars accessible. Perfect train for metrolinx, IMHO.

Not surprised at all GO is tooting EMUs in several of their new artworks.

EMUs are a nobrainer though for efficient corridor sharing with UPX and other services, for the merged Kitchener-Stoufville route, as many already know I have been saying. "SmartTrack" (even if using Bramalea instead of Eglinton) using these bilevel EMUs, nicely simultaneously merges the needs of GO RER and SmartTrack, into one train fully capable of meeting the capacity needs of the route.

Last edited:
Doesn't the RER in Paris use bi-level coaches, with the door at the height of the lower floor?

Several cities use this type of design with the doors on the middle-level and stairs leading down/up to the level below/above.

Boarding seems fairly rapid even with large crowds, largely due to being able to use 2 sets of internal stairways instead of everybody going up one narrow set.

One huge pro of Metrolinx's pictrogram of Stadler KISS EMU is that it is a 17 inch floor with no stairs. This allows it to be only one step up from current GO platforms (possibly with a slight one or two inch yellow-caution-line riser ramp to meet maximum leglislated step height ot 7 inch) while optionally allowing a platform raising to level boarding for near-gapless faster boarding and shorter dwell (all cars accessible, small gap, no ramp needed, no new accessibility staff needed). This type of train is capable of subway-short headways and strong subway-style fast acceleration so easily slottable between UPX trains when corridor allows (resignalling...)

These trains are REALLY fast at boarding. Four stairs instead of two! Cheap longterm migration to level boarding for GO! Doors are double file like current GO. But both sides can go upstairs simultaneously with separate stairs on both sides of the train! Great choice of a train for GO RER, IMHO.

Last edited:
Yes, RER line C uses these. So do a number of regional and S-Bahn lines in Germany.
Not only in Germany, Austria, Sweden, France and so on.

Stadler to me have both the best LRT and EMU on the market as well DMU. Been on all 3 of them as well other manufacturers.

I doubt Metrolinx will be allowed to use the Stadler KISS here.

Since Metrolinx outright owns the corridors it intends to run RER service on, can't it simply say we run EMUs and our tracks are commuter only?

Not sure how CN or CP would react.. VIA would be fine with it...

Ahhh FRA-compliant trains are hideous. Could someone explain the reasons behind it, the ramifications, and is it outdated? How does Europe operate? Their freight trains are just as bulky, but electric.

Back