News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The Kitchener line has had significant on-time difficulties. I expect that tightening of the schedule will be entirely reliant on real-world performance, once they see that trains are reliably holding at stations waiting for their scheduled departure times.

I would be very leery of analysing this data. We don't know how much of the added time is dwell time as opposed to running time. Also, I would look further into the past for a baseline. By January 2014, running times were already largely distorted by the construction en route.

Over the longer term, more 12-car trains may be a factor.....the line is largely uphill going west and downhill going east. Just speculating.

My baseline was specifically a point where we were deep in construction and the line was a complete mess. It's why I was surprised that it's still pretty much as slow in May 2015, even though construction is now wrapping up.

Longer trains was my guess for the 9:39 departure from Bramalea, at the moment it uses a 6-car trainset that does nothing else all day but with more tracks in operation they could go back to running it with a 10-car trainset from another line run counter-peak from Union.

I think there is generally an increase in schedule padding across the network, Barrie line trains got slowed down at the same time too. I also seem to recall that Aldershot-Union used to take 60 minutes, not 70 minutes as it does currently. Maybe there is a decreasing average skill of drivers (new trainees) or a higher focus on reliability rather than speed (perhaps related to ticket refunds).

As a minimum, new grade separation projects, the addition of the fourth track, and the construction of the Mount Dennis GO station will continue to cause construction delays east of Brampton. If and when additional trackage is constructed west of Bramalea, that will add issues also.

Something that hasn't got much attention here is the new set of crossovers that have been installed between Bathurst and Strachan Aves. As GO adds additional trips as promised, the interlocking zone between Strachan and Union will just get more and more congested. Managing the flow of movements will get more complicated; some relief may come when more trains run through Union instead of terminating and having to deadhead to the various storage yards. The USRC plant itself seems to be a lifelong construction and upgrading zone.

So, all in all, I would not use the phrase "wrapping up" to describe work on this line. It's more like there is a "new normal" of disruptions and challenges. In a few years we may look back and think of the past year or two as the "peaceful period".

- Paul

Something that hasn't got much attention here is the new set of crossovers that have been installed between Bathurst and Strachan Aves. As GO adds additional trips as promised, the interlocking zone between Strachan and Union will just get more and more congested. Managing the flow of movements will get more complicated; some relief may come when more trains run through Union instead of terminating and having to deadhead to the various storage yards. The USRC plant itself seems to be a lifelong construction and upgrading zone.
Though haven't they already upgraded the switches to allow for speeds to increase from 15 mph to 30 mph, with plans to upgrade again to 45 mph?

Yes - it's a much faster plant, and hopefully when the platform refurbs are all done they will be able to move trains in and out of the depot with less concern about routing conflicts. If trains get off schedule and all arrive at once, though, there is more potential for slowing or stopping altogether in the approaches to the depot.

- Paul

So a Barrie stop is coming to Downsview (@ Spadina Line) and Eglinton (@ ECLRT)? What about at Lansdowne station on Line 2?

Either way good announcement, these kind of things are what will lead to us having a bona fide transit network.

Great idea! At 300 m, it's one of the more feasible connections anywhere to the subway. There's even undeveloped land on Wade Ave., according to streetview.

Man dies after being dragged by GO train at Union Station

Police believe victim’s bag or clothing got snagged on the Barrie-bound train as it pulled out of the station.

Someone I worked with who witnessed this said he was walking dangerously close to the train as it passed, directly on the yellow strip. That is very common to see on the extremely crowded platforms.

I've always worried about that. I'm surprised at the risks people routinely take on Union (walking on the yellow line and not turning around to see where the train is).

The platforms are way too narrow to begin with and with all these new stairs and elevators it is made even worse. Biggest dropped ball during this reno (IMO) is not having consolidated platforms and tracks to make them wider and safer.

Ie: platform-track-track-platform etc

I've always worried about that. I'm surprised at the risks people routinely take on Union (walking on the yellow line and not turning around to see where the train is).

The platforms are way too narrow to begin with and with all these new stairs and elevators it is made even worse. Biggest dropped ball during this reno (IMO) is not having consolidated platforms and tracks to make them wider and safer.

For all the improvements we've had, it is important to bear in mind that this is still a relatively cheap project with extremely limited scope - a temporary band aid of sorts that barely catches up to existing demand but really left no room for fundamentally rejigging the station. The platform width is an issue since day one and there was really no attempt to resolve it (other than the "you really are just supposed to wait in the concourse" refrain).

AoD

For all the improvements we've had, it is important to bear in mind that this is still a relatively cheap project with extremely limited scope - a temporary band aid of sorts that barely catches up to existing demand but really left no room for fundamentally rejigging the station. The platform width is an issue since day one and there was really no attempt to resolve it (other than the "you really are just supposed to wait in the concourse" refrain).

AoD

That refrain really makes me laugh... We are dealing with humans here, not sheep. We all like to wait at the platform so we are guaranteed our favourite seats!

This would have cost two billion - relocating all pillars and demolishing the shed.

Another is when inevitably eventually getting the EMUs for the Kitchener route, is smoother trains with fewer snag points. Like typical subway trains but bilevel.

Even modifications of existing trains wil help; I see dangerous snag points on the older Bombardier BiLevels, hook shaped things that could be removed or rejigged. The newer coaches do not have as many.

That refrain really makes me laugh... We are dealing with humans here, not sheep. We all like to wait at the platform so we are guaranteed our favourite seats!

The problem is they tried to control the flow by persuasion and that's never going to work. If they want to get serious, design a system that is fool-proof instead (e.g. lock the access doors until designated boarding time, etc)

This would have cost two billion - relocating all pillars and demolishing the shed.

Another is when inevitably eventually getting the EMUs for the Kitchener route, is smoother trains with fewer snag points. Like typical subway trains but bilevel.

Even modifications of existing trains wil help; I see dangerous snag points on the older Bombardier BiLevels, hook shaped things that could be removed or rejigged. The newer coaches do not have as many.

Or just have some kind of ATC and waist high barrier system in place - the yellow line is wide enough for that I think.

AoD

Last edited:
The problem is they tried to control the flow by persuasion and that's never going to work. If they want to get serious, design a system that is fool-proof instead (e.g. lock the access doors until designated boarding time, etc)

Which won't always work when trains board at both sides of the same platform, also GO passengers are notoriously pushy and stubborn - I could see people trampled in rushes up the platforms if locked platform access doors were ever implemented.

Or just have some kind of ATC and waist high barrier system in place - the yellow line is wide enough for that I think.

AoD
More inexpensive:
Making platform edges more scary like yellow-black diagonal stripes. And maybe a flashing orange LED ribbon (industrial strength kind) (that flashes when a train is approaching or departing), even cheaply mounted on the platform edge wall, both sides of track. It will not be 100 percent but it would reduce the number stepping into the yellow zone during critical times, even by sheer peer pressure of people stepping back the moment they see the flashing. (1Hz slow flash). The same color as for school and construction yellow lights. The flashing light strip works well in some metro systems like the Washington Metro... (lightly enforced, as secondary responsibility of fare inspectors waiting for their trains) Fine if you are on the hazard zone during the flash.

Last edited:

Back