News   Aug 16, 2024
 344     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 378     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 302     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Was additional service recently added to the Barrie line? I noticed there is a train that now leaves at 18:45 from Union...

Apologies if this was covered elsewhere in this thread

The 18:45 and 15:40 northbound, and 7:47 and 8:19 southbound runs appear to have added on June 28, 2014, based on my archived schedules.

Definitely missed that piece of information until it was just mentioned here in the past few days. This is astonishing news, that they're actually using configs other than 10/12.

I'll say!

You can imagine the double-take I did when I looked back having gotten off the 18:45 for the first time.

The news that the 9:18 eastbound Bramalea train is a 6-car consist too means that we've got three 6-car sets in operation!

Last edited:
The 18:45 and 15:40 northbound, and 7:47 and 8:19 southbound runs appear to have added on June 28, 2014, based on my archived schedules.

I'll say!

You can imagine the double-take I did when I looked back having gotten off the 18:45 for the first time.

The news that the 9:18 eastbound Bramalea train is a 6-car consist too means that we've got three 6-car sets in operation!

I think it is a 9:39 train.

I am pretty curious: Was the decision to use 6-car trainsets based on demand (12-car trains were mostly empty), or based on limited coach allocation (needing to split a 12-car train into two)?

I am pretty curious: Was the decision to use 6-car trainsets based on demand (12-car trains were mostly empty), or based on limited coach allocation (needing to split a 12-car train into two)?

Smallspy explains it above in post 6077

It was a fairly underused train but it does not seem to be the main reason for the shrinkage in number of cars.

System-wide electrification tender closed in February with expected project start in Spring 2015, completion in 2018

To me this quote implies that the entire system will be electrified by 2018. Is that right?

that is the environmental assessment work. What it means is that the studies for electrification will be done by 2018, and after that construction can start on electrification of all lines.

Work on some lines may be done earlier, as well.

that is the environmental assessment work. What it means is that the studies for electrification will be done by 2018, and after that construction can start on electrification of all lines.
Presumably they don't complete detailed design until after EA is finished. Though I guess they can start before hand.

The biggest surprise to me in that report was the ridership number for the Milton line....especially in relation to the number of trips. Headways are already fairly tight....more trains will be an interesting challenge.

- Paul

The biggest surprise to me in that report was the ridership number for the Milton line....especially in relation to the number of trips. Headways are already fairly tight....more trains will be an interesting challenge.
It's the same ridership they reported last summer - http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...0140905_BoardMtg_Regional_Express_Rail_EN.pdf - when there was only 16 trips per weekday rather than 18.

Yes, very impressive. In reality, they should be prioritizing this line for full-day service first - not Lakeshore, Georgetown, or Stouffville. But they seem to want to not deal with CP too quickly.

It's the same ridership they reported last summer - http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...0140905_BoardMtg_Regional_Express_Rail_EN.pdf - when there was only 16 trips per weekday rather than 18.

Yes, very impressive. In reality, they should be prioritizing this line for full-day service first - not Lakeshore, Georgetown, or Stouffville. But they seem to want to not deal with CP too quickly.

I think i have said it before....if you were designing our GO network from scratch and not bound by the plethora of issues that go with "inheriting" a bunch of freight corridors....the corridor that runs through the middle of Mississauga would be the one that would be the one developed first and fastest.....but that is not the case.

To me this quote implies that the entire system will be electrified by 2018. Is that right?
You got to be kidding?

It will take a decades to get to get most of the system electrified and it will not be all end to end.

Not many contractors in NA who can do this work in the first place. The NEC line between Boston-Washington is being upgraded and San Francisco is about to covert their rail system to electrification. Then California is about to start building their HSR system. Manpower going to be short. Then there is the cost of doing it.

The goal is to get UPX up and running by 2018/19 first. Lakeshore is supposed to be next, but things keep changing. We will have a better understanding come 2016 when the full Big Move is updated, but the government is pushing for 2024 at this time.

I think i have said it before....if you were designing our GO network from scratch and not bound by the plethora of issues that go with "inheriting" a bunch of freight corridors....the corridor that runs through the middle of Mississauga would be the one that would be the one developed first and fastest.....but that is not the case.

Essentially, you have two options: 1) Find some space to build around CP on the same corridor, or 2) Find some space for CP to relocate to a new corridor. Both are daunting challenges, and it will take a lot of money and negotiations to see either of them through. I understand Metrolinx's hesitation, even if it is a major ridership corridor, there's just lower hanging fruit in the face of those options.

Back