News   Jul 17, 2024
 68     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 702     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 611     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Do a lot of university students use GO Trains? I'd think only a few McMaster and students downtown would.

The Stouffville line has a huge contingent of UofT, Ryerson and other (OCADU, GBC, etc.) students. The 9-10 PM buses are also full of students returning from night classes. It's much less busy once May rolls around. I would assume most other lines are at least similar, especially the Barrie line that has stops at York U as well as downtown.

Hopefully the prognosis for the Skyway is "not as bad as it seems" but that's not the case I hope consideration will be given to running even 1-2 trains from Niagara into Toronto on weekdays should it persist beyond Monday. I realise with rostering and train positioning that's easier said than done but 80000 vehicles a day is a lot to absorb onto neighbouring routes.

Hopefully the prognosis for the Skyway is "not as bad as it seems" but that's not the case I hope consideration will be given to running even 1-2 trains from Niagara into Toronto on weekdays should it persist beyond Monday. I realise with rostering and train positioning that's easier said than done but 80000 vehicles a day is a lot to absorb onto neighbouring routes.

Interesting idea. However, aside from the manpower, qualified personal, equipment, running rights issues and no schedule guarantee due to the canal, another major problem is that neither St. Catharines & Niagara Fall's are designed to serve as commuter stations at this time i.e lack of parking poor access/egress to handle surge traffic flow. At this time they'd most likely be better served by increased bus service.

As this would only be pending repairs I think the local municipalities could be asked to show some inventiveness - shuttle buses to remote car parks etc. The canal is an issue, granted, but it didn't stop at least some people commuting with VIA for years. There are qualified personnel from the existing NF trains which will be running today through Monday - just possibly not enough to stretch that. I just find it unfortunate that GO and other mainline systems can so rarely respond to breakdowns in the road network, even when some notice is available like when no Richmond Hill or Stouffville trains are run on weekends when DVP is closed. Instead it's just "more buses and stretch the schedule".

Brampton is putting in its building for the New Canada Building Fund...and all day GO service on the Kitchener Line is there. LINK Page 12.

Apparently the city is estimating $240 million?

Brampton is putting in its building for the New Canada Building Fund...and all day GO service on the Kitchener Line is there. LINK Page 12.

Apparently the city is estimating $240 million?

From page 12: "City of Brampton Involvement: Brampton's components will include contributions to the infrastructure update, updated transit facilities and improvements to the connection and transfer to the city's transit and active transportation system."

It would be awesome to see a map of all of the proposed train extensions/new lines for GO Transit, without all of the mess of that Metrolinx Progress map.

Does anyone know of a map that shows the expansions of the lines, plus the Bolton, Peterborough, Seaton, Midtown lines?

Would be nice to see.

Something like this: http://i35.tinypic.com/15oe04z.jpg

But more up to date.

EDIT: I did a quick and dirty edit of the Metrolinx map by removing the bus routes, so this is only GO Train expansions/extensions. However, some things are still missing, like details such as the two new Oshawa stations.

image.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LeSLQHZ.png

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Fall Service Changes are up: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx

Its a snooze, not one new train run on any line.

So much for the forever rumoured new trains on the Milton corridor. Or material movement towards all-day service for Barrie or Stouffville.

Maybe in 2015! (optimism being good for the soul)

Fall Service Changes are up: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx

Its a snooze, not one new train run on any line.

So much for the forever rumoured new trains on the Milton corridor. Or material movement towards all-day service for Barrie or Stouffville.

Maybe in 2015! (optimism being good for the soul)

The Special Event things are getting confusing.

If you can run special trains on the weekend just do it every weekend! I am sure the special event trains are underused because no one knows about them.

Just make a weekend train service run on all lines and stick to that.

Presumably, the next bump in rail service is on the KW line once the $1.3B GTS project is finished in 2015.

There might be some bump in service but there needs to be a Georgetown North of some type; at very least purchasing the corridor (due to happen `within weeks of the budget`).

There might be some bump in service but there needs to be a Georgetown North of some type; at very least purchasing the corridor (due to happen `within weeks of the budget`).

Even without a "GTN" they promised "up to" 10 more daily GO rail trips after completion of GTS

Back