News   Jul 15, 2024
 474     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 627     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 576     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

It's not rocket science.

Regular service = substantial established ridership base = extra demand for special events that overloads existing trains = gets service added.

This is not rocket science either......regular service = they already have an ability to get to the event by rail.....no regular service not so much = add special service.

I am not saying that Lakeshore should not get additional trains for events....but this "we have had better service for decades....we have had that time to prove our use....so we should get more..".becomes a self fulfilling prophecy in terms of ridership.

People not on the Lakeshore have had all that time to adjust to not having trains...so if one summer of a few events produced lower than expected ridership is what is leading to a fall back to "well, see it only works on the Lakeshore" that is a bit weak (IMO).

Haha, sarcasm well noted!

It would be really nice if GO was able to run 'Jays Trains' on all lines, but that's even less likely to happen than just trains on Lakeshore. And yes, Platform 27's answer is pretty accurate.

As a stop-gap measure though, I'd at least like to see dedicated Jays Buses for the other lines.

Dedicated buses is not the answer......how many people per line can that serve? So people are expected to build their family "day out at the Jays" around a bus that, if their lucky, they might fit on after the game? The lakeshore train may get crowded but the folks know that it holds, what, 1,500 - 2,000 (not sure on the exact number) and if (for some bizarre reason) they don't fit on that special train, there will be a regular train leaving in a few minutes that can move a similar amount of people.

It is also a bit frustrating lining up for a bus that you may or not get into that you know is going to face the exact same traffic that you would have faced had you just driven.

EDIT....what surprises me is that GO and Rogers have not come up with the notion of Rogers sponsored Jays trains....maybe even some special fare involved that combined with tickets to the event.

Last edited:
Schedule changes are now online: http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/updates/schedulechanges.aspx#April

I'm surprised that one of the new Stouffville morning trains is so close to a modified existing run (I can now take a 6:57 or 7:06 run from Markham) and not at 8:30ish (making one of these express like the 5:18 run would have also been awesome!), but I won't complain. The 19:18 northbound will be fantastic though!

Dedicated buses is not the answer......how many people per line can that serve? So people are expected to build their family "day out at the Jays" around a bus that, if their lucky, they might fit on after the game? The lakeshore train may get crowded but the folks know that it holds, what, 1,500 - 2,000 (not sure on the exact number) and if (for some bizarre reason) they don't fit on that special train, there will be a regular train leaving in a few minutes that can move a similar amount of people.

It is also a bit frustrating lining up for a bus that you may or not get into that you know is going to face the exact same traffic that you would have faced had you just driven.

EDIT....what surprises me is that GO and Rogers have not come up with the notion of Rogers sponsored Jays trains....maybe even some special fare involved that combined with tickets to the event.

I agree it's not a great solution, but it's better than no special buses at all. Until they can get more train crews available, there isn't really much of an option.

And I really like the 'sponsored' idea. Even if it's just a discounted fare, I'd love to be able to show up at my GO station, show my ticket, and get a discount for the train.

If that isn't possible, just even have Ace or some Jays Crew people on the train handing out t-shirts, cards, coupons, etc, getting people excited for the game. Especially for weekend games, having Ace on the train would be a big thrill for the kids. Kids (and their parents) line up to see him, so if they can see him while they're taking the train to the game, the kids will be much more likely to want to take the train.

Some interesting, good changes.

Finally, there will be buses leaving Brampton for Union after 9:30PM (at 10:30, 11:30 and 0:30), and a bus leaving at 0:30 from Hamilton on the 16, long overdue.

Plus there's late night buses from Union to Brampton now at 1:30 and 2:30 AM daily- Actually, there's buses leaving after 2AM on all the main Union train-bus routes now - 21, 31, 65, 71 (Monday-Friday only on 61 Richmond Hill). And a new 02:30 bus on Lakeshore West.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place, but GO has acquired more of the Lakeshore West corridor, between Oakville and Burlington. Here is a current ownership map:

go%20ownership%20march%202013.jpg

Last edited:
More GO Bus service on the Milton line - this is long overdue. Service is increased to 15-20 minutes most of the day on Saturday, and 20-30 minutes on Sunday. I still don't understand why there is an hour-long gap between the 8:20 and 9:20 westbound departures on weekdays, at least GO got rid of a similar gap between the 18:20 and 19:20 eastbound on weekdays. More reverse commute service on weekdays is needed, there seems to be more service on weekends than in rush hour. Also, I hope that GO will reroute some buses via the Mississauga Transitway when it opens, thus serving the Airport Corporate Centre area where a lot of people are going.

Especially between Lincolnville and Uxbridge!

I've been lead to believe that section of track is essentially garbage. What they own is a corridor where track could be built.

But yes, the railway ownership map around the GTA is very different than it was 4 years ago.

That Georgetown-Burlington line looks so tempting for a north-south service. The west end of the GTA could certainly use it!
I've often wondered whether there could eventually be a north-south service in the west end: Niagara Falls / Hamilton / Cambridge / Waterloo? At least, a GO bus service between Hamilton and Waterloo might make sense.

Back