News   Jul 02, 2024
 589     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.1K     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 686     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Screenshot_2024-05-25_185842.jpg

I know it's a common and reoccurring problem, but I was surprised how many people (at least 5) got caught by the door closures at Guelph Central GO. Two of the doors on 12-car trains are hanging off the west end of the platform, but they're not opening doors west of the accessibility coach.

They should have included a 12-car extension in the 2nd platform contract, but that aside, is it really that inconvenient to have one of the front end engineers walk down and manually open between coach 10 and the accessibility coach?

It would be for eastbound movements.
Very true, good point. I guess it would necessitate the CSA doing it eastbound, adding dwell time to the schedule.

Still seems like a big problem, especially in an era of a million advisories and headphones. It means less on the lakeshore when it's 5-30 minutes to catch a train back, but on the Kitchener line, those people have have no other option but wait until 8:45 (2-3 hours).

I know it's a common and reoccurring problem, but I was surprised how many people (at least 5) got caught by the door closures at Guelph Central GO. Two of the doors on 12-car trains are hanging off the west end of the platform, but they're not opening doors west of the accessibility coach.

They should have included a 12-car extension in the 2nd platform contract, but that aside, is it really that inconvenient to have one of the front end engineers walk down and manually open between coach 10 and the accessibility coach?
Wouldn't the easiest, least-resistance solution be to just block access to the half of the platform that doesn't open? No idea why ML wouldn't do this.

CSA doing it eastbound
The CSA can’t do it either, because they need to deploy the ramp at the raised platform for people to get on/off.

In the past they had a second CSA staged at Guelph to literally board trains and operate the doors from the 10th coach, then get off and wait for the next train to do it again, which is a waste of resources

Spotted Barrie Line departure board at Bramalea :D
This is funny, but somewhat not too surprising considering some Kitchener line trains actually become Barrie line ones after arriving at Union. Regardless, this departure board makes no sense being here at Bramalea.

Back