News   Jul 11, 2024
 440     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 570     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 711     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The Business case was the base standard Metrolinx used in the bidding process from my understanding, but the plan with OnCorr is actually to have a much higher, undisclosed service level.

Wikipedia is claiming 5-minute frequencies for Burlington.

It's source is this Metrolinx blog post, which mentions frequencies of up to 18 trains per hour, which is roughly 3 minute frequencies, as well as the 5-minute Burlington frequencies. I imagine this is planned as the peak-hour frequency:

ONxpress’ international team has far surpassed the reference concept service levels outlined in the GO Expansion Full Business Case published in 2018. The ONxpress proposal can deliver three times more trips than the 3,500 weekly trips Metrolinx ran in 2019.

On Metrolinx’s busiest routes, between eight and 18 trains per hour will run, meaning customers can arrive at a station and be on a train within minutes.

Metrolinx and ONxpress will now start working through a proposed timetable, and associated required infrastructure, that could ultimately see train service stopping at stations like Exhibition, Bloor and East Harbour GO stations as frequently as every three minutes in the future and stations like Burlington and Pickering GO every five minutes.

On evenings and weekends, services to most stations could be as frequent as between every six to 15 minutes, meaning customers no longer need to worry about missing a train.

GO Expansion will reduce commuter times by an average of 10 minutes per trip and as much as 20 to 30 minutes for other trips. Some key stations on high density routes will get services that can be up to 40 per cent faster, such as Bramalea, Pickering, Unionville and Oakville GO Stations.

Interestingly, in terms of travel time, it suggests travel times to Pickering and Oakville equal to travelling to York Mills station on the subway, which suggests ~20 minute travel times.

It also suggests destinations like Hamilton being equal to drive times in no traffic, which suggests a 45-50 minute travel time..

Interestingly, in terms of travel time, it suggests travel times to Pickering and Oakville equal to travelling to York Mills station on the subway, which suggests ~20 minute travel times.

It also suggests destinations like Hamilton being equal to drive times in no traffic, which suggests a 45-50 minute travel time..
Yes, GO Expansion is pretty exciting if its potential is realized. It's like an express subway to the suburbs. Port Credit and Oakville should both pop significantly. I'm not sure Mississauga can really hold back the immense development pressure there will be in Port Credit (including their ludicrous suggestion that Mineola can't support any additional density).

Yes, GO Expansion is pretty exciting if its potential is realized. It's like an express subway to the suburbs. Port Credit and Oakville should both pop significantly. I'm not sure Mississauga can really hold back the immense development pressure there will be in Port Credit (including their ludicrous suggestion that Mineola can't support any additional density).

I don't see much happening in Mineola, at least not in Mineola West. Mineola East is kinda meh so it could be intensified. The only part of Mineola West that I could see densifying would be directly fronting onto Hurontario. Otherwise, it would get NIMBY'd to death.

I don't see much happening in Mineola, at least not in Mineola West. Mineola East is kinda meh so it could be intensified. The only part of Mineola West that I could see densifying would be directly fronting onto Hurontario. Otherwise, it would get NIMBY'd to death.
It's an MTSA, one we are spending billions to provide world class transit access to. If the NIMBYs don't like it, tax 'em.

Didn't realise the dividers were being removed, glad to have the armrest back (or the ability to move it).

View attachment 503760
In relation, Metrolinx has confirmed that the dividers are being removed on its trains. However, they are also getting rid of the hand sanitizer dispensers and decals.

In relation, Metrolinx has confirmed that the dividers are being removed on its trains. However, they are also getting rid of the hand sanitizer dispensers and decals.

I'd like to see some retention of access to hand sanitizer in public locations; but I have no issue with it be dialed back. There is some evidence that over-use of sanitization products, aside from giving people w/sensitive skin some issues, can also reduce immune system effectiveness over time. Your immune system learns from minor exposure, to minor things.

That said, I see a logic to offering this type of thing in healthcare settings, where bacterial exposure risk and vulnerability are higher, or in settings where food is sold, for consumption, but public hand-washing facilities are not present.

Though, I'd be inclined to store surplus equipment, rather than have to have it made anew when the next pandemic arrives.

Last edited:
I'd like them to keep the hand sanitizer. It's useful when the bathroom sink isn't functioning correctly.
I feel like they should actually put them in the bathrooms and maybe also near the garbage bins between the set of stairs. Their location at the doors are a little infuriating when you're on a crowded standing room only train and the automatic sensors keep going off in them releasing sanitizer near or even on you or your things.

I’m sure this will interest someone here, the new Metrolinx ticket machines dispense redesigned tickets that are larger and easier to read for people with accessibility needs
IMG_0757.jpeg
IMG_0818.jpeg

Funny those tickets from the new Ticket Vending Machines are the same size as the ones issued by an attendant through a ticket booth.
Too bad passengers with mobility needs had no choice but to purchase the smaller tickets through a machine instead of at least having the option of purchasing from an attendant.

Funny those tickets from the new Ticket Vending Machines are the same size as the ones issued by an attendant through a ticket booth.
Too bad passengers with mobility needs had no choice but to purchase the smaller tickets through a machine instead of at least having the option of purchasing from an attendant.
I actually think these ones might be a bit smaller, but yeah they use pretty much the exact same design as the old ones:
IMG_5089.jpeg

The full all day trips to Barrie and Stouffville reinstated again on the weekends makes this change the first time that all 5 currently planned GO RER lines (+ UPX as a bonus) are running all day minimum hourly, 7 days a week. That is one step closer to getting more services on each of the lines and shows that progress is actually being achieved.

Even if this is kind of the bare minimum its still better than having no trains at all, as shown with what the Barrie and Stouffville line passengers had to deal with for months and the Kitchener line dealt with it worse for years before its weekend service started.

Just counted 55 people getting off the 25L (from Square One) at Toronto Premium Outlets. I'd say that's a pretty big success.
Interesting. I've come across a lot of advertising for the Niagara Outlets recently on TV (during Jays games) and streaming (Spotify).
Must be the time of year for a drive to get their chunk of the Back to School shoppers, or is there a full blown outlets war happening out there?

Last edited:

Back