News   Apr 25, 2024
 154     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 529     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Cooksville GO: Bus service will replace 8:16 a.m. and 8:59 a.m. trains to Union Station​
Cooksville GO passengers: Starting Monday, May 4, GO bus service will replace the 8:16 a.m. and 8:59 a.m. eastbound trains to Union Station. Replacement buses will run express from Cooksville GO to Union Station Bus Terminal and depart your station at 8:21 a.m. and 9:04 a.m.

If you’re using PRESTO, please tap on the device when boarding and exiting the GO bus. Don’t tap on the machines at the station.

Regular service will resume in early June. This service change will help us make progress as we transform your station and upgrade infrastructure along the Milton corridor. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

^ what work are they doing at Cookeville that requires this?
No idea, but the last train is at 7:30 am with a bus at 8:31 follow by bus at at 9:04 an and then comes a dog breakfast for headway. Only 2 trains a day as of Monday eastbound, with 2 bypassing the station and 4 trains westbound.

The last I saw of the station, pouring of concrete for the new platform, landscaping on the north side still has to be finish that would require trucks to cross the track. Unless they are replacing track and ties for track 1, can't think what would cause the removals of trains, other than low ridership. Trains bypassing the station must be using track 2 (south track).

^ Interesting. So they are picking individual stations with very low ridership and replacing it with a bus trip?

Strange - those trains continue to make all other stops on the line. I can't see any other reasons to skip Cooksville unless there was work that could be done during that time, taking advantage of the reduced ridership.
I can based on what I have seen there first hand,

If you only got 6 cars sitting on 4 levels of a parking structure that normally full as well 4 surface lots that are empty as well, how many are getting drop off or pickup, let alone using Transit??

Going out on the limb, you may get 20 riders for each of those 2 cancel trains and easy to put on a bus.

By having the other 2 trains skip Cooksville and use track 2, it allows EllisDon crew not having to stop work on the new platform, unless they are near the track. RR safety crew on site while work is being done and warning is given up to 5 minutes when a train is coming to either stop work or watch out. EllisDon own safety personnel on site to make sure workers follow RR safety crew instruction as well their own standards.

Since the construction zone is fence off, EllisDon doesn't have to worry too much about riders in large or small numbers.

Come June, other than the elevator at the east end and access there to the new surface lot, the platform would be almost ready to be put back into service.

Don't know about other stations on line, but Meadowvale station only had 3 cars when I saw it over a week ago during a weekday. Saw only 3 riders get on buses there and 2 got off the 5 buses I saw arriving at the station.

I can based on what I have seen there first hand,

If you only got 6 cars sitting on 4 levels of a parking structure that normally full as well 4 surface lots that are empty as well, how many are getting drop off or pickup, let alone using Transit??

Going out on the limb, you may get 20 riders for each of those 2 cancel trains and easy to put on a bus.

By having the other 2 trains skip Cooksville and use track 2, it allows EllisDon crew not having to stop work on the new platform, unless they are near the track. RR safety crew on site while work is being done and warning is given up to 5 minutes when a train is coming to either stop work or watch out. EllisDon own safety personnel on site to make sure workers follow RR safety crew instruction as well their own standards.

Since the construction zone is fence off, EllisDon doesn't have to worry too much about riders in large or small numbers.

Come June, other than the elevator at the east end and access there to the new surface lot, the platform would be almost ready to be put back into service.

Don't know about other stations on line, but Meadowvale station only had 3 cars when I saw it over a week ago during a weekday. Saw only 3 riders get on buses there and 2 got off the 5 buses I saw arriving at the station.

So there is platform work at Cooksville happening? @smallspy said above no work was happening.

So there is platform work at Cooksville happening? @smallspy said above no work was happening.
There been platform work going on for close to an year. They first close the west section off and extended it to the west along with a new tunnel, elevator as well a new walkway bridge with elevator. That new extended and fully rebuilt platform open late last year to allow the east section to be fully rebuilt. The look had the roof on the new platform with snow melting system been place for the platform. A new elevator to the old tunnel is being built where the new Kiss & ride lot will be and part of the mechanical/electric building.

Landscaping taking place on both side of the corridor.
April 17 photos and all photos are in the Cooksville thread
49787412837_a45d20e48c_b.jpg

49786555998_023de7c160_b.jpg

Strange - those trains continue to make all other stops on the line. I can't see any other reasons to skip Cooksville unless there was work that could be done during that time, taking advantage of the reduced ridership.

My understanding was that they are cancelling those runs altogether. So needless to say, I'm confused. I've asked one of my contacts at Metrolinx for more information.

Dan

My understanding was that they are cancelling those runs altogether. So needless to say, I'm confused. I've asked one of my contacts at Metrolinx for more information.

Dan
GO Trip planner show 4 trains from Erindale and only 2 from Cooksville in the am. PM see 4 trains stopping at Cooksville.

Effective May 13 and until the end of June, buses will replace trains on the Barrie line midday on weekdays and all day on weekends. Official reason is maintenance and upgrades, but we all know it's due to Covid (low ridership).

Back