News   Apr 26, 2024
 506     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 208     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 677     0 

GO Transit Midtown Corridor

If the Midtown Corridor becomes an eastwards rerouting of the Milton Line, then there are only a handful of stations I would say are absolutely essential: Jane/Runnymede, Dupont/Spadina, and Crosstown. Jane/Runnymede for redevelopment, Dupont/Spadina to shift commuter traffic onto the University subway line, and Crosstown to interchange with Line 5 or the Ontario Line. I'm skeptical that the North Toronto station would be able to handle all downtown-bound traffic on the line.

Other important stations would be between Symington and Dufferin (serving either the Dupont/Dufferin neighbourhood or to interchange with the Barrie Line), the Summerhill/North Toronto stop, Ellesmere/Warden (lots of redevelopment potential), and a Markham Park-and-Ride somewhere south of the 407. It could also be extended to the future Pickering Airp- just kidding.

I think service to Peterborough is more appropriate for Via HFR than GO, since Peterborough is large and distant enough that encouraging Toronto-bound commuting just isn't economically viable.

With the Galleria development at Dupont/Dufferin, that neighbourhood would be a good draw for a GO station nearby. See link.

43187-127281.jpg

Let's say that the proposal for Pickering airport does go through. The midtown line does run close to the proposed airport site. A spur could be built to provide service to the airport.

1604816187768.png

Let's say that the proposal for Pickering airport does go through. The midtown line does run close to the proposed airport site. A spur could be built to provide service to the airport.

View attachment 281469

Before an airport in the middle of nowhere gets built, why not connect the other existing airports of the GTA by rail? This would include the ones in Hamilton and Waterloo.

Before an airport in the middle of nowhere gets built, why not connect the other existing airports of the GTA by rail? This would include the ones in Hamilton and Waterloo.
The middle of nowhere? You have no idea what you are talking about. You don't build airports at Young and Bloor

The middle of nowhere? You have no idea what you are talking about. You don't build airports at Young and Bloor

Did I say that? No. I am referring to the fact that 2 airports that are underutilized, and are close to the GTA should be utilized better, including building an airport rail link prior to building the one in the farmland out. For the cost of building that airport, the other could be well built up to handle the future demand.

Is there going to be future demand for a pickering airport? I mean the island airport covers a lot of regional customers and Pearson is for international or more national travel. We also have Hamilton not more than an hour away.

Why not upgrade the Oshawa airport? Rather than build a new one.

Is there going to be future demand for a pickering airport? I mean the island airport covers a lot of regional customers and Pearson is for international or more national travel. We also have Hamilton not more than an hour away.

Likely because the Oshawa Airport is already surrounded by houses and the locals lost their shit when they tried to extend the runways...it's not in "the middle of nowhere" as some claim Pickering to be. Pickering is not built up yet. Some fantasize that somehow they will stop building houses ...etc in Pickering and will continue to farm there. It's just fantasy. Same people who want to raise crops and chickens in the Anex. The build-up will continue along the 407 next to the airport site, just as it is in York Region. Seaton in Pickering is just the beginning.

Likely because the Oshawa Airport is already surrounded by houses and the locals lost their shit when they tried to extend the runways...it's not in "the middle of nowhere" as some claim Pickering to be. Pickering is not built up yet. Some fantasize that somehow they will stop building houses ...etc in Pickering and will continue to farm there. It's just fantasy. Same people who want to raise crops and chickens in the Anex. The build-up will continue along the 407 next to the airport site, just as it is in York Region. Seaton in Pickering is just the beginning.

What about building out Waterloo and Hamilton airports? I'd bet the money to build a GA airport in Pickering would be more expensive than to bring the necessary infrastructure to those other ones. Leave the Picking site till we actually need another one to support all the aviation, not just the rich folks with their little planes....

A main runway of only 4250' and almost completely hemmed in (sorry - don't know how to do a screen grab of Google maps).

^An airport rail link is always welcome, provided the airport in question is generating a volume of passengers in the first place. One has to have the business case for the airport first....then plan how to connect it to the communities it serves.

It's quite premature to conceive a rail link to an airport that hasn't been justified (yet)(despite being on the books for what - 50 years?).

The issue for the North Toronto line will be: one needs to displace CP and/or to squeeze GO tracks in alongside the existing freight tracks. The cost of that will be very high. The business case will demand a fairly high ridership, more than an airport alone can provide. Remember, even UPE was piggybacked onto a massive expansion of the Georgetown Corridor for GO and VIA use (and I have never believed the actual accounting on that one). It could not have justified the investment without that shared purpose.

An airport link across the North Toronto line is unlikely to generate enough ridership by itself to justify the investment. There would have to be a regional/local transit component to absorb some of the cost. Perhaps that demand might emerge once Union Station reaches capacity, but that won't be for 20 years or more. It makes perfect sense to bank all the pieces against that future opportunity, but it may not be justifiable in our lifetime.

As for Hamilton, if passenger volume grows, the airport is a perfect end point for a second LRT line, and the airport connectivity's share of the cost/benefit of that line would be a fairly easy sell. (If there were a first LRT line, that is). One can create a fantasy rail connection along the old Rymal right of way, but the cost of that versus the cost of an LRT would probably argue for the LRT.

I find the idea of a North Toronto regional line really appealing, but sufficient demand will only emerge after we have built cross-city transit on Eglinton, and Sheppard/Finch, and reach the point where those lines are full and/or the travel time is recognized as excessive and demanding a regional-type corridor. Sorry, maybe in your lifetime, but certainly not in mine.

- Paul

The only stops I would add in addition to those on the Metrolink map shared above would be Dufferin (because of Galleria and other redevelopment, as well as the fact that I expect higher order transit on Dufferin eventually), at the planned St. Clair Smartrack stop, which will service the stockyards as well as provide a transfer, and at Jane, where there eventually will be higher order transit, and currently is an extremely busy bus route.

To add more than these three stops will take away from the express nature of the line, but to fail to add those would be to miss out on potential positive network effects.

100% there will be. Pearson airport will approach overcapacity in the early 2030s, and with the Toronto area growing so fast there needs to be more runways for cargo planes as well as domestic flights. Don't quote me on that but there is a few articles about runway demand in the GTA and what would determine another airport. It won't be needed until the mid 2030s. It also comes down to location and local politics, which connects Toronto's east suburbs and east end of the city.

Back