News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

What sort of regulations would have changed? I’ll buy it, just curious.
Solely off of the top of my head:
- Headlights
- Cab intrusion (this one has affected numberboards and their locations on new and rebuilt freight locos)

Granted neither is insurmountable (assuming that any other regulatory changes have been far more minor in scope) in the grand scheme of things, but they are changes that have nonetheless affected the loco builders.

Kassel are building ALP-45As for NJT so presumably the expertise and tooling is still there to do an ALP-46, and changes in regulations of less concern. Certainly more of a proven family in North American conditions, given how the 45As were ordered (last 8 added to order in 2020) so NJT could get rid of Alstom built PL42ACs.
Despite the appearances, and a commonality of some mechanical components, I wouldn't assume that just because they're building more ALP-45s that the -46s are just around the corner. There are some major structural differences between the two of them. But then again, the ALP-46As were built concurrently with the first batch of -45s, and so may already incorporate the requisite changes.

Dan

I imagine the new electric won’t have dual ended cabs, since GO has all the consists have the cab car face west and loco face east.
That can change down the road from what exist in the fleet today and what the fleet will look like in 10-15 years as equipment is retired or sold off base on the requirements at the time.

In Europe, you find 3-5-7 car set with duel power well at the same time having 6-10 car train like GO current setup. At times, you can find 2-5 set MU together to meet ridership needs or to be separated at X point as the demand is not there or breaking a part to service a few branch line with low ridership.

Having the flexibility of 3-7 car sets allows not having the one fit all fleet base on ridership and the routes.

If we are moving to 15 minutes or less service, I can see 5 car set being use on various lines, especially after 7 pm as well trains running all night.

07AA2B65-E8E3-4C31-8CC7-9FEA5220AA3F.jpeg

So with the London service ending. I'm assuming that means the F59s will be repurposed for their original role of pulling the smaller 6 car trains?
Or is it possible that we may finally see the end of the F59s on GO service?

I mean they’d have to go eventually, and even though Metrolinx stated the F59s would not get replaced by the 13 locos they are planning on acquiring, plans could have changed now that the London Service is going to end.

Or is it possible that we may finally see the end of the F59s on GO service?

I mean they’d have to go eventually, and even though Metrolinx stated the F59s would not get replaced by the 13 locos they are planning on acquiring, plans could have changed now that the London Service is going to end.
I expect the F59's will be around until the final plan what the system needs to meet the 2025-50 service needs. That plan maybe completed by 2025 with the F59's been use on 6-10 car trains until their end date is known.

Need power to add more service as well having a spare ratio to do it.

I expect the F59's will be around until the final plan what the system needs to meet the 2025-50 service needs. That plan maybe completed by 2025 with the F59's been use on 6-10 car trains until their end date is known.

Need power to add more service as well having a spare ratio to do it.
This has me curious about the 13 diesel locos Metrolinx is supposed to be acquiring by 2024-2025.

I'm assuming the reason why GO is rebuilding the old cab cars to lead trains again is so that they can be used in conjunction with the new locos. Yet there has been no news on them since the deadline closed in September of last year.

Did you happen to get the numbers of any of the GO BiLevels?
No but there were 5 un touched coaches on top of the one cab car I mentioned and the repainted one in the picture, I didn’t get them but were definitely the first generation bilevel design

Back