News   May 07, 2024
 276     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 298     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 301     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Yesterday, I overheard this conversation by the crew of the 16:38 train to Allandale. It had classic cab car 251 at the head of the train.

Conductor: Man I already hate this.

Engineer: Hate what?

Conductor: The cab car.

Considering how on top of 200-214, there is the possibility of the 242-250 batch being restored as leaders, I wonder how the crews must feel?
Well I guess they would consider the refurbed cars ad a downgrade since the new cabs are so much more spacious and ergonomic

GO 2629 is on CP being delivered, not sure if towards Thunder Bay or coming from as it is painted in the Metrolinx scheme.
108ADD8C-FCBA-4E4A-8EFB-BB6BF45F0472.jpeg
Image credit to Nicholas Kasim.

Yes. Most of the crews vastly prefer the new cab cars because of that and the other reasons mentioned above.
And the conductor doesn't even have a desk ... which reminds me of the standard cabs that we have at CN and why I don't like them...

And the conductor doesn't even have a desk ... which reminds me of the standard cabs that we have at CN and why I don't like them...
I thought that was a debate - probably between generations of operators, a while back. Some preferred that traditional 'pedestal' controls over the 'desk' style.

Edit: I just realized you said "conductor", not 'engineer'. Makes sense; they used to have an entire unit (caboose) to work out of!

255-257 from what I’ve seen do have a conductor desk. And the refurbished ones from NB have had them installed.

Some hints about GO’s new electric locos from OnXpress. Looks like Alstom is designing something new from the ground up for GO. Link.

The ONxpress vehicle supplier, Alstom, will design and build new e-locomotives that will meet the changing face of public transit through the Metrolinx On-Corridor GO Expansion program. The vehicles will be made from a platform approach that will integrate design-proven sub-systems, solutions and technologies. With specialized development centres across the globe, in all domains necessary for the mastery of the rolling stock applications such as traction motors, traction chains, bogies, car-shells, and train control, the supplier will provide vehicles that can handle the demands of daily travel with the passenger experience to match.

Some hints about GO’s new electric locos from OnXpress. Looks like Alstom is designing something new from the ground up for GO. Link.

Hmmmm, could go well; but I'm not sure why can't we just buy off-the-shelf, proven tech.

Being the innovator means having to deal w/the associated pains of getting the kinks out......

Hmmmm, could go well; but I'm not sure why can't we just buy off-the-shelf, proven tech.

Being the innovator means having to deal w/the associated pains of getting the kinks out......
could go both ways... it could make Alstom look like a hero for a beautiful bespoke loco but it could make them a zero if theres significant teething issues a la the confederation line debacle.

In fairness, I read it quite a bit differently than you.

I read it as being off-the-shelf, proven technology that is being used elsewhere. It's just that there is no off-the-shelf solution for the North American sphere of operations, and so they're going to have to design a custom shell to house all of these off-the-shelf components in.

Dan

wonder if Alstom could do the same for the 13 diesel locomotives that GO wants to acquire?
Speaking of, kind of surprised we haven't heard much else about them, since the very first ones are supposed to arrive next year.

In fairness, I read it quite a bit differently than you.

I read it as being off-the-shelf, proven technology that is being used elsewhere. It's just that there is no off-the-shelf solution for the North American sphere of operations, and so they're going to have to design a custom shell to house all of these off-the-shelf components in.

Dan

Fair enough, I only gave the post a superficial once over, w/o any detailed examination.

At the same time, electric locomotives are not a new propulsion or other drivetrain system. It's not like they're going to put out a 2020s version of a TurboTrain or Intermediate Capacity Transit System. Electric motors will be set on a frame with (relatively) standard bogies and wheels. Of course it's more complicated than that, but that's the foundation of the system. Then you have former Bombardier and existing Alstom facilities with experience building a frame and other components.

I think if there's going to be kinks, it'll be the computers or the supply chain, much like what we saw with the Flexity Outlook.

Back