News   Mar 28, 2024
 285     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 255     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 291     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Amen. If the vision for RER is something packed to the gills, standee laden, well, count me out. I don’t mind standing from Union to Kipling or Mimico, but I won’t be happy standing all the way to Mount Pleasant (although, already, too many do). Let’s not equate RER totally with subway, the modal RER rides will be longer.
If frequencies increase and trains stay long, I don't think crowding will be a huge issue beyond legs 30 minutes (I'd estimate something like 15 minutes, unless it's an express train) from the core. That seems to be fair to me, and you could reach Bramalea, Kipling, and others with the increased acceleration and lower dwell times. Getting a seat beyond those areas will likely be really easy. In the case of express trains, I feel like the winner will likely want to have express services with DD rolling stock for those trains avoiding the core altogether, especially since there will still be many areas without electrification. In this case, you get the best of both worlds.

I too believe that double-deckers are excellent for a commuter system and GO should use them for their commuter services in rush hour and longer distance hauls. My concern is for the RER service. For RER speed is of the essence and DD are simply too slow :{due to dwell times} and cumbersome.

Shirley there must be EMUs available that can be used on standard commuter rail platform heights? Many cities have changed their systems from GO to RER like Sao Paulo sure this must have come up before.

The Dallas DART LRT system {which is much more like RER due to it`s frequency levels and station distances} runs 2 types of vehicles on the SAME train. Most are high floor where a small step is required but the middle trains are lower and platform level for accessibility.

This thread is for GO's fleet, but VIA's awarding of a fleet contract to Siemens should be mentioned, especially given the great platform height debate. 32 new bi-directional trainsets, powered by Charger locos. Not too many details on the coaches, but they look to be high floor.

This thread is for GO's fleet, but VIA's awarding of a fleet contract to Siemens should be mentioned, especially given the great platform height debate. 32 new bi-directional trainsets, powered by Charger locos. Not too many details on the coaches, but they look to be high floor.

They are high floor - 51" off of the top of rail - but will include traps and steps for low-level platforms.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I too believe that double-deckers are excellent for a commuter system and GO should use them for their commuter services in rush hour and longer distance hauls. My concern is for the RER service. For RER speed is of the essence and DD are simply too slow :{due to dwell times} and cumbersome.

One option to solve the unload issue for DD is pricing. Have a subway type feel on the first level with no/very little seating. On the stairs to the second floor have a second tap point. For those travelling long distance they can go to the top floor for free. But for the shorter distances there is a cost (variable to ensure the majority of upper floor users are for the long-distance travelers).

Plus people aren't stupid. After a couple of times missing their stop because they didn't get off their seat in time they will make sure they move towards the door prior to the stop. GO train users already do so for certain stops.

Depends on the rolling stock they purchase. Some trains like the Silverliners in Philadelphia have stepped access for low platforms and step free access for high floor stations. View attachment 167076
There is also the prospect of a dual level railcar, such as those KISS EMUs being ordered for CalTrain:
View attachment 167077
Of course, if we didn't go with the dual platform option, I don't really see a huge problem with increasing platform heights across the network. Assuming it costs something like 20 million to do it at each station (and with many stations coming up for renovation, this might not even be an issue) there are ~70 stations in the network (Union station would be prohibitively more expensive), the extra costs associated with the addition are around 1.5 Billion dollars. Given that RER is supposed to cost some 20 Billion, 1.5 for decreasing dwell times by a factor of around 30-50%, in my eyes, is worth it. Even then, there are many stations (ie Guelph, Acton, St Catherines, the Bowmanville Extension, Bradford, Newmarket, Old Cummer, Langstaff, Centennial, Lincolnville) that won't need an entire 12-car high floor platform. Since these trains will likely be connected EMUs, the middle of the train could stop on a smaller platform that can accommodate 3-4 cars (Which is still a fairly long platform) at these lower ridership stations, bringing down costs.
Something a little closer to home:

1544718931238.png

Those trains are horrible and would be nothing but trouble for RER. The hallways are incredibly thin as are the door. Just 2 wheelchairs would practically bring the entire exit/entry to a halt. If they are intent on having 2 levels then they should have complete 2 levels and not where you enter and then either go up or down stairs. The entry level should be completely open with subway style interior, exits, windows, bike racks, wheelchair spaces etc and then the second level should be more traditional RER/Commuter layouts for travelers going larger distances. Basically much like the current double-decker buses.

^Not that much different than the diesel powered version, which is quite well used in Montreal and NJ.

The amusing touch I noted in the video was the traditional clip on the seat backs for paper tickets - no high tech fare card/POP honour system on NJT!

I imagine a GO style bilevel fitted out as EMU would look much the same. Wonder how the relevant dimensions (Interior seat width, interior cabin height and width, aisle and door width) compare.

- Paul

They remind me of the layout of the Warwata fleet in New South Wales, Australia.

MEDIA=youtube]no22_KPp5oI:0[/MEDIA]
I think you mean this:
[...]
Ordered from Downer EDI in December 2016 under the New South Wales government’s A$1·5bn ‘More Trains, More Services’ programme, the Waratah Series 2 EMUs are similar to the 78 eight-car Waratah sets delivered in 2011-14 by the Downer-led Reliance Rail consortium under a PPP contract. Construction has been outsourced to CRRC Changchun Railway Vehicles which manufactured the bodyshells for the original Waratahs. [...]
Waratah Series 2 EMUs enter service in Sydney - Railway Gazette

1544885921811.png

Waratah Trains - Railway Technology

Last edited:
That would be very interesting and could potentially significantly lower the cost of electrifying the fleet?

I think so but I'm not sure. I don't know how much they are paying for those powered cars. The contract is valued at $670m USD for 58 power cars, 33 cab cars and 22 trailers. I don't know the price of each part.

Back