News   Apr 17, 2024
 868     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 317     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

I kinda had a feeling it would enter service for the first time this way. GO has tested the older cab cars this way in the past.

Here’s cab cars 251 and 252 as the last car of the train back when they were first delivered in 2008.
2E4FCFDC-22D0-4F1F-A872-0709FE6F12E6.png
5CA99E7C-A16B-480A-9A7E-1DAAC540CF40.png

How do they test it behind the locomotive? Using a spotter?

"Test" needs to be clarified.

They are not using it as a control car from that location, at least not in service. They may be able to isolate the rest of the train and do static testing of the MU and communications with the loco.

Putting it next to the loco saves a lot of walking if there is troubleshooting needed, and most importantly if the car needs to be set off, it's an easy switching move to just double it away from the rest of the train.

I suspect the "test" is simply putting it on a train as a non-controlling coach and running it as such for a few trips to verify non-control functionality, ie do the brakes, HVAC, comms, doors, HEP work properly. Marshalling it next to the loco may simply have been a convenience - simplest switching move to get it onto a train.

- Paul

So apparently 206 was placed into service.(image not mine)
View attachment 456906
It was not in service.

It was shuttled to the Whitby Maintenance facility with a bunch of other equipment last night. It's currently sitting with all of those other cars - and still pointing backwards - along the bad-order track on the south side of the facility.

Dan

It was not in service.

It was shuttled to the Whitby Maintenance facility with a bunch of other equipment last night. It's currently sitting with all of those other cars - and still pointing backwards - along the bad-order track on the south side of the facility.

Dan
aww too bad... our esteemed former GO employee wouldve been jumping for joy haha... 🤣

It was not in service.

Dan
Yeah just went by Whitby and saw it
FD7AF183-97CA-47E7-BB49-35CA8A46ABE4.jpeg

Although it seemed that people were allowed inside of 206, if it was just a shuffle should they have not just equipment moved it?

It was not in service.

Dan
Are you sure it wasn’t in service? It’s at West Harbour in this photo:

062F73DB-8550-431B-A13A-C53223D2F719.png

View attachment 457038
With a locomotive that is clearly shown in that photo in front of the cab car, how would the the cab car crew see what is in front of them to operate the train other than being in the locomotive itself??

With a locomotive that is clearly shown in that photo in front of the cab car, how would the the cab car crew see what is in front of them to operate the train other than being in the locomotive itself??
Do you think I’m saying that they’re driving from in there? No, I’m saying that I think it ran on a consist that was in service yesterday as a regular coach.
Why else would they bring the train all the way down to West Harbour if it wasn’t acting as a coach in the train? Wouldn’t be for fun or for the foamers.

Do you think I’m saying that they’re driving from in there? No, I’m saying that I think it ran on a consist that was in service yesterday as a regular coach.
Why else would they bring the train all the way down to West Harbour if it wasn’t acting as a coach in the train? Wouldn’t be for fun or for the foamers.
As it been point by other, it been tested or maybe to see how all the new changes are doing along with break-in to make sure there are no issues and if so what has to take place before the car return to normal duty. Any issues and fixies that take place will have to happen on the other cars being rebuilt like any production runs. In service and testing are 2 different things as well being in service.

There could be equipment in the diver close off area measuring various things that can't be seen by the public. Being a coach allow for various testing and metering to take place and not being in the way of riders using the car..

Sit back a few week and you will see it back in real service again

View attachment 457038
There is no way that they would have run the train in service for just a couple of hours, and then put it in the line of bad-ordered equipment in Whitby.

They do sometimes run equipment trains to do additional mileage to get the wheels to turn a bit more, or to pick up additional equipment from Lewis Red. That's likely what happened here.

Dan

Back