News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 637     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Because condos are going up on that lot.

While you are right that the GO use of that lot is "temporary" pending future development of condos......it should be noted that the future development of condos was first proposed there in, either, the very early 1990's or the very late 1980's.....not sure when it will ever actually happen (I recently heard about some guys assembling the lands south of Railroad and east of Mill (over to George) for condo development) that would be a better site.....since Brampton seems to have a limited capacity for condo absorption (always seems to lag the other markets) I would think the Dominion Skate site (and the adjacent lot we are talking about) have definitely missed the last cycle/market.....by the time we need more, the site on the east side I mention above will be a better site and more suited to development (IMO) so Dominion will miss again....translation....I don't know when (if?) we will ever see condos there!!!

Of course none of that impromptu market analysis changes the basic thrust of your answer....why would GO (or any other of the plethora of government agencies/levels throwing public money around these days) build a tunnel to a parking lot with an undetermined lifespan?

While you are right that the GO use of that lot is "temporary" pending future development of condos......it should be noted that the future development of condos was first proposed there in, either, the very early 1990's or the very late 1980's.....not sure when it will ever actually happen (I recently heard about some guys assembling the lands south of Railroad and east of Mill (over to George) for condo development) that would be a better site.....since Brampton seems to have a limited capacity for condo absorption (always seems to lag the other markets) I would think the Dominion Skate site (and the adjacent lot we are talking about) have definitely missed the last cycle/market.....by the time we need more, the site on the east side I mention above will be a better site and more suited to development (IMO) so Dominion will miss again....translation....I don't know when (if?) we will ever see condos there!!!

Of course none of that impromptu market analysis changes the basic thrust of your answer....why would GO (or any other of the plethora of government agencies/levels throwing public money around these days) build a tunnel to a parking lot with an undetermined lifespan?

For what it's worth, The Little Train Shoppe which occupies part of the Dominion Skate building is closing on June 21st. Could be economics, could be the condo project moving forward.

For what it's worth, The Little Train Shoppe which occupies part of the Dominion Skate building is closing on June 21st. Could be economics, could be the condo project moving forward.

The condo is moving ahead and been closed at the request of the landlord.

GO 407/10 BRT Station is completed with opening in the fall.

There will be parking for 100 cars as well 4 bus bays.

The shelter has an overhead heater in it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
There is now a flow chart at Old weston Rd crossing showing how many piles have been installed as well the total number require. Up to 500 and forgot to get a picture of it on Sunday.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Crews are now working on the embankment at Port Credit Station at the crossing to get ready to put in the retaining wall for the new 3rd track.

Less than haft the piles been installed for the retaining wall support from the Credit River.

The west-south side of the tracks at Mississauga Rd is now ready to start work on the extension of the new tunnenl under the current 2 tracks.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Work is 100% complete for Meadowvale station for elevator and overhaul.

In other news, construction of the second tunnel to access the platform at Streetsville seems to have bogged down again. This project was originally due to be completed in October 2008, then revised to December 2008, then February 2009, then April 2009, then "by end of May 2009", then "early June 2009".

I wonder if there are penalties to the contractors who fail to complete work in the agreed time?

I wonder if there are penalties to the contractors who fail to complete work in the agreed time?
Depends on how the contract is written. And normally such clauses are only valid if it is the contractor at fault. A delay that long sounds more like an external cause.

407-10 BRT Station

IMG_may-31-09-0248.jpg

IMG_may-31-09-0254.JPG

IMG_may-31-09-0256.JPG

IMG_may-31-09-0257.JPG

My guess it will be Zone 33 (Brampton, including Shoppers World), which will probably mean a rip-off GO-fare wise to get to York U, more expensive that farther-away Meadowvale!)

(Zone 33-19 = $6.45, Zone 22-19 = $5.65)

Last edited:
Malto and Brampton Station

Had a looked at the Malton Platform construction today and got a shock.

The new west/south side of track 3 is seeing a new platform being built that will be supported by precast floor plating that will see sand and asphalt place on top of it.

Everything is in place and waiting steel for it.

Haft of the existing platform has steel framing in place, but will not be completed.

I see GO is ahead of the game on the east/north side of the current track one as they have built the new tunnel long enough to support 2 more tracks or another track and platform.

The shock I got was when I looked at the new entrance for the new tunnel as it had a ramp in place of stairs of all things. Long over due and need to be added to other station where they can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjVvDfz4lzQ

Brampton Station.
Under stand there were a number of engineers mistake on this project and has put this station another year behind schedule. Summer or late fall 2010 for completion now.

The new platform on the south side could be haft completed by end of the year and is been built the same way as Milton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMLizKPWajs

Last edited:
Brampton Station.
Under stand there were a number of engineers mistake on this project and has put this station another year behind schedule. Summer or late fall 2010 for completion now.

What kind of mistakes?

GO is still showing a "winter 2009" completion date on their web page.

What kind of mistakes?

GO is still showing a "winter 2009" completion date on their web page.

Look at the first 4 photo's and tell me how they plan to have a platform built east of the tunnel by year end for that area????

The east end retaining wall is been cut down for the support of the new platform and then will have to be rebuilt and this was not in the drawings at tender time.

There are a number of errors I will not go into at this time for legal reasons.

I have said all this year that this project will not be finish as plan based on what I was seeing. Elevator for sure for both platforms, especially the south side since it missing at this time.

I take GO timetable with a gain of salt.

The 3rd track between PC and Clarkson was to be completed this year and only parts could be used by year end if at all. Cannot use Clarkson since work has yet to start west of it as well Mississauga Rd. Oakville yard has yet to be touch.

You know, these GO stations should have a Tim Hortons instead of a crummy little shelter like that.

Tims would salivate at the captive audience, there could be ticket sales, and it brings a new level of comfort and security.

Hi Metrolinx, if you're reading this, please steal my idea.

Back