News   Aug 23, 2024
 890     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 513     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Ottawa's line 2 is single tracked and it runs every 12 minutes. More frequent passing tracks enable more frequent service.

The number of km of track added according to the press release indicates that the corridor will have a considerable amount of quad track, albeit with some triple track pinch points (presumably Brampton station and the Credit River bridge). There have been actual Metrolinx track maps posted in this thread.
Understood, thanks, just as long as there is more capacity.

Better factcheck against the 2021 Business Case Analysis for the Kitchener line.

The service plan headway was only hourly 2WAD west of Mount Pleasant, and 30 minutes headway east of there. Intensive 2WAD only begins at Bramalea, because that's as far as ML is permitted to electrify.

I'm sure this plan has been revised, and one way headways at peak especially will be better....but this is a case where ML's publicity arm is creating an expectation way beyond what the track designers and funders are committed to.

- Paul

PS; As someone who regularly spends 2 hours on the 401 trying to travel between Waterloo and Etobicoke, all I can say is, we could have had, and ought to have had, 30 minute or better 2WAD headways a long time ago. They have come - but you haven't even built it yet.

Sick, very cool. Metrolinx loves Hamilton eh?
It actually blows my mind how underserved Hamilton is. It's the third largest city in Ontario, within 50km of Toronto, tons of commuters, two downtown stations. Little service, and poorly taken care of stations. Come on Metrolinx.

Welcome to UT!

There is a great amount of information that may answer your question in this thread - suggest you “read up” through the previous pages and see if that gives what you are seeking.

- Paul

Thank you! I did read through a few posts after searching, but it should be clear that I didn't know what search terms I was looking for with regards to rail plans. I'm more of an outsider looking in when it comes to transit, especially trains and such.

In short, yes, they want to do a flyover between the Credit River and Mount Pleasant. Here's the latest:

Metrolinx is pursuing it appears option 3 for the long term. Visualization here created not by Metrolinx, but by the Brampton Board of Trade from this file:

I appreciate you sharing the visualization and the file. It answers a lot more questions that I had. I'm definitely bookmarking this so I don't lose it. My only questions now are what happens when we hit Railroad Street in downtown Brampton, the grade crossings at Mill/Railroad and John/James, and the bridges around Main, Union, Queen, above the Etobicoke Creek, and Centre Street. Obviously I don't expect answers if it's not known, but I'd like to imagine that they'd try to create some sort of bridge or flyover or something of the sort, but I can't imagine what they'd do given just how small that whole area is.

^ what happens in downtown Brampton is a third track and the likely full closure of Railroad Street between Mill and George. The design contract was awarded for the third platform on the south side at the Brampton Station.
Is there no way they can do a 4th track with some expropiation? Would be significantly more expensive but long term would have way more capacity and options...

Is there no way they can do a 4th track with some expropiation? Would be significantly more expensive but long term would have way more capacity and options...

Yeah, if it were my decision I would do the fourth track at the same time and be done with it. It will however have to go on the north side, which means moving the heritage station and twice as much retaining walls etc. So I can understand (sort of) the decision to leave that for another day.

It's doubly complicated because of all the redevelopment Brampton is considering around the station.

- Paul

1000010284.jpg
1000010285.jpg
1000010287.jpg

Back