News   Aug 23, 2024
 888     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 513     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I don't know Oshawa well, but it seems like a lot of money is being spent to shift GO onto the Belleville sub for a small gain in distance for commuters from north Oshawa. If the shift actually brought GO to downtown Oshawa (in the same way that West Harbour brings it to central Hamilton) I might buy it, but the CP and CN are just not that far apart. So long as the line switches to the CP before reaching Courtice, I would say there is no compelling reason to wind around central Oshawa as planned.

Surely it must be cheaper to extend GO along the CN and build a grade separation under/over the 401 out at McLaughlin Bay where the two lines are within sight of each other. The added distance to a Ritson station on the CN line is only 900 meters.

- Paul
Whilst the CP station isn't that much closer to downtown than the CN station, it is still somewhat closer, and more importantly its not separated from Downtown Ottawa by the 401. This means that the area around is theoretically more developable, and more importantly it is more walk-able to more potential destinations.
To add to this, no more transfers at Oshawa Centre to get to the go station by bus.

The saga continues.

This month, a farmer near Georgetown requested a judicial review as he continues to fight the expropriation of his land for the flyover. That’s after an independent tribunal ruled against him and in favour of Metrolinx, the government agency that operates GO trains and wants his land."

The saga continues.

The saga is unfortunate........

In the piece a local transit advocate rightly critiques Mx for being secretive and vague on what projects are in the works, when they will be delivered, and what level of service will follow.

We do get this tiny bit at the end of the linked article which isn't generally new to UT'ers, but may still have utility:

1721918407210.png

Last edited:
The saga is unfortunate........

In the piece a local transit advocate rightly critiques Mx for being secretive and vague on what projects are in the works, when they will be delivered, and what level of service will follow.

We do get this tiny bit at the end of the linked article which isn't generally new to UT'ers, but may still have utility:

View attachment 583215
While Metrolinx is definitely too secretive, especially when it comes to imminent service changes, this is the one case where I think that secrecy is warranted. Revealing details of their plans to the public is sort of like making promises, which could undermine their negotiations with private parties like CN and land owners which could result in rail projects costing more than they already do.

But west of Georgetown or east of Bramalea they already own the line so this argument does not apply there.

While Metrolinx is definitely too secretive, especially when it comes to imminent service changes, this is the one case where I think that secrecy is warranted. Revealing details of their plans to the public is sort of like making promises, which could undermine their negotiations with private parties like CN and land owners which could result in rail projects costing more than they already do.

I can cut ML some slack on this one - except - the negotiations have gone on for so many years (and have been reported as progressing well so many times in ML Board reports) that one loses all trust.

I would have at least expected an announcement that CN and ML had reached agreement on a high level plan. Except - have they?

One wonders if the parties had periods when the parties were some distance apart and negotiations simply stalled. If so, one wonders why there was no lever to force them to reach agreement - in the same way that lots of pressure is exerted (mostly in private) when collective bargaining reaches an impasse. Far to easy to just say nothing and hope for a miracle.

As for west of Georgetown.... one hears enough about weekend work windows that are scheduled but then the results don't come off. Except that, with no agreement or forward motion with CN on the Halton Sub, the improvements to the west are not needed.... the absence of any sense of urgency has spread to the entire ML culture and is pervasive.

- Paul

I'm going to argue here that the promise is already public.........15 minute, 2-way, all-day service on the central portions of each corridor (excepting Richmond Hill/Bala) has been out in the open since the mid 2010s at very least, and is being pushed, openly by the current government in unending ads I see on social media.

The long-haul (outer terminal points) of most of the same corridors is promised as hourly or better.

There's no secret, CN/CP know exactly what's been promised.

The only things not public are the schedule and the price.

Though, arguably Wynne did post a schedule suggesting the majority of improvements would be in place by 2024-2025.

I'm fine with some private discussion for a few weeks/months while Mx/The province haggle with CN/CP on the details, but thereafter, certainly within a year or two of the initial promises, those deals need to be wrapped up and done.,

At which point they need to be public.

Once the government knows what it needs in terms of expropriation, it can move to buy that land before or at the same time as any public announcement. It can also ensure that the price of the land doesn't inflate by using MZO authorities to freeze the zoning of the sites in question pending acquisition.

But west of Georgetown or east of Bramalea they already own the line so this argument does not apply there.

Mx/GO owns the vast majority of their rail, so as a general principle I'm going to say they have little excuse on openness and transparency.

I was going to write a snarky post about how Metrolinx's 2019 IBC for Kitchener Line expansion made negotiating with CN sound easy but there's been no progress....

But on reflection, there must be at least the framework of an agreement in place now because Metrolinx is expropriating land for the grade separation (Credit East?) and it was stated at a Metrolinx Board Mtg that CN had invited tenders for design work on the Halton sub. Before these $ commitments could be made you'd think an agreement of some sort would need to be signed.

Mx/GO owns the vast majority of their rail
Here’s a ownership map for anyone not familiar with what parts of the network are owned by Metrolinx:
You_Doodle+_2023-07-12T03_34_49Z.jpeg

The spur on the Lakeshore East Line should be pointing down not up, and should also be to the left of Pickering, that was a mistake I did when I made this

Here’s a ownership map for anyone not familiar with what parts of the network are owned by Metrolinx:View attachment 584273
The spur on the Lakeshore East Line should be pointing down not up, and should also be to the left of Pickering, that was a mistake I did when I made this
I wish someone would edit this map to show the dedicated CP & CN tracks as well. This would give people a better layout of the land.

I was going to write a snarky post about how Metrolinx's 2019 IBC for Kitchener Line expansion made negotiating with CN sound easy but there's been no progress....

But on reflection, there must be at least the framework of an agreement in place now because Metrolinx is expropriating land for the grade separation (Credit East?) and it was stated at a Metrolinx Board Mtg that CN had invited tenders for design work on the Halton sub. Before these $ commitments could be made you'd think an agreement of some sort would need to be signed.
Yeah I think it's safe to assume that some agreement has been signed with CN regarding future GO service levels otherwise they wouldn't have proceeded with the upgrades west of Bramalea

I wish someone would edit this map to show the dedicated CP & CN tracks as well. This would give people a better layout of the land.
I think that adding lines that GO doesn't use would undermine the purpose of this map, which is to show the ownership of the railway lines that GO uses. The stations already give plenty of geographical information about where the ownership changes.

For a general lay of the land, what you want is a GTHA railway map including all railways (not just CN, CP and GO). Which is fine but that's a different type of map.

The Railway Atlas of Canada already provides a great railway map for the GTA:
Capture.JPG

Rail Atlas still shows the now-defunct YDHR owning the Stouffville corridor to Uxbridge, which has never been the case. Metrolinx has always owned the corridor since they bought the rest of the corridor from CN years ago. YDHR was responsible for maintenence of the corridor as it was the only user, but Metrolinx owns it and will likely rip up the tracks over the next few years now that YDHR is no longer operating.

Back