News   Jul 30, 2024
 255     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 392     1 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 1.1K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Rail Atlas still shows the now-defunct YDHR owning the Stouffville corridor to Uxbridge, which has never been the case. Metrolinx has always owned the corridor since they bought the rest of the corridor from CN years ago. YDHR was responsible for maintenence of the corridor as it was the only user, but Metrolinx owns it and will likely rip up the tracks over the next few years now that YDHR is no longer operating.

I believe the Atlas is intended to show the current operator as opposed to the owner of the asset. Certainly YDHr has folded and the map needs updating to reflect that, but the correction should really be to show "inactive" rather than "ML".

- Paul

Rail Atlas still shows the now-defunct YDHR owning the Stouffville corridor to Uxbridge, which has never been the case. Metrolinx has always owned the corridor since they bought the rest of the corridor from CN years ago. YDHR was responsible for maintenence of the corridor as it was the only user, but Metrolinx owns it and will likely rip up the tracks over the next few years now that YDHR is no longer operating.
I feel like this is a mistake, MX should keep the corridor ready with a provision for a potential Uxbridge extension. Maybe that is just wishful thinking and me not wanting to see any rail removed, and it isn't even viable.

I feel like this is a mistake, MX should keep the corridor ready with a provision for a potential Uxbridge extension. Maybe that is just wishful thinking and me not wanting to see any rail removed, and it isn't even viable.
It was listed as a potential future corridor in various late 2000s studies, but I imagine whatever plans they had are shelved.

So long as ML retains ownership of the corridor, in railbanked state, nothing is lost.

"There are still rails in place" is irrelevant. Should GO decide to extend the Lincolnville line eastwards, 99.9% of the track materials that are in place today will have to be replaced. The current track is useless for anything more elaborate than a museum train.

- Paul

Last edited:
With @crs1026 's post above, I know the railbed and tracks will need major upgrades, but in my humble opinion, I would think an Uxbridge extension would be a realitive "quick win" project. I'm not an expert but compared to other GO expansion projects, I would think it would be a realitivly easy and inexpensive project..

With @crs1026 's post above, I know the railbed and tracks will need major upgrades, but in my humble opinion, I would think an Uxbridge extension would be a realitive "quick win" project. I'm not an expert but compared to other GO expansion projects, I would think it would be a realitivly easy and inexpensive project..

I think it will happen one day, that's why ML is retaining ownership of the row. The question is where it sits in the priorities and available funding. Uxbridge does not have that big a population, and any ridership already drives to Lincolnville - the roads are not full yet. So (picking a project at random) rebuilding Guelph to Cambridge would score higher in ridership and revenue. I can think of others. So this one is not mission critical at this moment.

- Paul

Back