News   Mar 28, 2024
 374     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 366     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 714     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

If there was an equivalent skywalk (like near the CN Tower), but with shops between Main Station and the GO Danforth Station, would people use it? Yes!
No people would not use it because the subway and GO stations are both below grade. People would continue walking along the sidewalk to avoid the hassle of going up and down from that skywalk.

Are the Dundas West platforms really that far east? I mean I've only ever used the station a handful of times at most so I'm far from an expert, but for some reason I always figured they were a bit further west.

Are the Dundas West platforms really that far east? I mean I've only ever used the station a handful of times at most so I'm far from an expert, but for some reason I always figured they were a bit further west.
When you go down the stairs from the mezannine you head eastward and still end up off the west end of the platform. Therefore the platform is fully east of the station building.

Here's a diagram from 2011. The existing platforms end at the west edge of the orange area.
dundas-west-2-jpg.131420

Looks like I was a bit off north/south, but east-west I was pretty accurate, in fact the platforms are even further east than I drew.

Last edited:
When you go down the stairs from the mezannine you head eastward and still end up off the west end of the platform. Therefore the platform is fully east of the station building.

Here's a diagram from 2011. The existing platforms end at the west edge of the orange area.
dundas-west-2-jpg.131420

Looks like I was a bit off north/south, but east-west I was pretty accurate, in fact the platforms are even further east than I drew.
The diagram is unfortunately out of date. Does not meet the AODA standards of today. The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) is a law that sets out a process for developing and enforcing accessibility standards. Needs elevators. Unless Doug Ford enacts the notwithstanding clause, which he has a bad habit of doing.

dundas-west-2-jpg.131420

Thanks. Clearly I was wrong, and really shows how much low hanging fruit the connection really is. It'll also make the subway a lot easier to access for those on the east side of the rail corridor.

The diagram is unfortunately out of date. Does not meet the AODA standards of today. The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) is a law that sets out a process for developing and enforcing accessibility standards. Needs elevators. Unless Doug Ford enacts the notwithstanding clause, which he has a bad habit of doing.

Uhhh, AODA does not require every entrance and exit to be accessible. It requires every station to have one accessible entrance or exit.

The diagram is perfectly up to date for the purpose of my post, which was to show the position of the existing platform.

Uhhh, AODA does not require every entrance and exit to be accessible. It requires every station to have one accessible entrance or exit.

It's not technically required under AODA, but for this particular case I would certainly expect it to be accessible given that it's an imporant regional transit connection. And anyway, that irrelevant diagram from 2011 does show elevators, though two of them seem to be directly in the path of subway trains...

Last edited:
It's not technically required under AODA, but for this particular case I would certainly expect it to be accessible given that it's an imporant regional transit connection. And anyway, that irrelevant diagram from 2011 does show elevators, though two of them seem to be directly in the path of subway trains...
While you are both correct about the AODA, the diagram also extremely clearly shows a series of elevators - one from each subway platform, one one from each GO platform.

What we really need to do is just stop engaging Walter.....

Dan

While you are both correct about the AODA, the diagram also extremely clearly shows a series of elevators - one from each subway platform, one one from each GO platform.

What we really need to do is just stop engaging Walter.....

Dan
Sorry. Assumed they were pillars. They didn't indicate what they were in the diagrams.

The pedestrian tunnel from the mainland to Billy Bishop Airport is 853 feet or 260 metres. Almost double the distance mentioned above (148.25m). However, since the rich & elite use it, the movator there stays. See link.
Tunnel-Movators.jpg

It's also under water and has no underground infrastructure to speak of in the way

The diagram is perfectly up to date for the purpose of my post, which was to show the position of the existing platform.

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that. Theoretical or not, how did a diagram like that ever get approved??

Back