News   Apr 18, 2024
 677     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I honestly thought the Milliken Station and Steeles underpass construction will be completed by now... The construction started way before the pandemic hit more than two years ago. From the pics, it appears it will take another couple of months to get the job done. I won't be surprised this time if it takes another year.

The whole project is running about 2 years (or maybe more now) behind. There have been a number of issues with the contractors, some of which is their doing and some of which isn't.

Dan

Sunday 6th, from walking path along the LSE (south side), between the Monarch Park underpass/Rail Garden and Coxwell Avenue, looking north at the aftermath of tree removal operations for the fourth track. Picture location moves east between frames.

IMG_3749.JPG

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3753.JPG

At the Planning & Development Council Meeting on Feb 15th (quite a while before this news broke), Mayor of Oakville Rob Burton asked the Clerk to prepare for exactly this outcome. I can't upload it to the forum so I'll transcribe it (emphasis mine):

Mr. Charles, could I ask you to add one more issue to the list please? I'd like you to cover the impact on the proposal if Metrolinx reneges on the grade separation at Kerr. And I ask that because Metrolinx has a sad history in Oakville of not doing what it promises. So I think we have to be aware that we could be let down yet again. The most spectacular failure being their announcement in 2006 that there would be a BRT operating by 2016 up and down Trafalgar Rd. So I fear continued disappointment from Metrolinx when I see the province coming up with money for cancelled Square One loops in Mississauga of an LRT... and I just fear that we could be left holding the proverbial bag -- or maybe it's the Provincial bag -- yet again. So if you could add that, that would be great.

I guess he had an inkling where things were going, if he didn't know outright.

Possible land expropriation for Kitchener Line grade separation?
Halton Hills newspaper includes an expropriation notice from Metrolinx for the following properties:
Part of 25059-0026, NW 10th Line & Railway Corridor
Part of 25059-0027, SW 10th Line & Railway Corridor
Part of 25059-0063, NE 10th Line & Railway Corridor
Part of 25059-0065, SE 10th Line & Railway Corridor
Part of 25059-0066, NW Wanless & Winston Churchill Blvd
Part of 25059-0067, E 10444 Winston Churchill Blvd
Part of 25059-0150, W Wanless & Winston Churchill Blvd, road allowance
Part of 25059-0151, N 10444 Winston Churchill Blvd, road allowance
Part of 25059-0190, 10444 Winston Churchill Blvd, Lots 12, 13, 14, 15
Part of 25059-0415, 10852 Winston Churchill Blvd

The Notice doesn't include a map. I don't have access to a map layer with property PINs but the Town of Halton Hills map site does include ownership boundaries, so I've starred the parcels I think are mentioned in the attached map.

Attachments

• CreditGradeSeparation - LandExpropriationParcels.JPG
    CreditGradeSeparation - LandExpropriationParcels.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 80
Possible land expropriation for Kitchener Line grade separation?
Halton Hills newspaper includes an expropriation notice from Metrolinx for the following properties:
Part of 25059-0026, NW 10th Line & Railway Corridor
Part of 25059-0027, SW 10th Line & Railway Corridor
Part of 25059-0063, NE 10th Line & Railway Corridor
Part of 25059-0065, SE 10th Line & Railway Corridor
Part of 25059-0066, NW Wanless & Winston Churchill Blvd
Part of 25059-0067, E 10444 Winston Churchill Blvd
Part of 25059-0150, W Wanless & Winston Churchill Blvd, road allowance
Part of 25059-0151, N 10444 Winston Churchill Blvd, road allowance
Part of 25059-0190, 10444 Winston Churchill Blvd, Lots 12, 13, 14, 15
Part of 25059-0415, 10852 Winston Churchill Blvd

The Notice doesn't include a map. I don't have access to a map layer with property PINs but the Town of Halton Hills map site does include ownership boundaries, so I've starred the parcels I think are mentioned in the attached map.

Hmmm, while that could be a project............

I can't see why they would need land anywhere near that far south merely for work related to the railway.

10444 is about 1.25km south of the railway crossing for Winston Churchill.
Is there a plan to re-align and/or widen Winston Churchhill here?

10th Line currently dead ends at the tracks. That seems more like a need for fencing that a grade-separation to nowhere.
Again, unless there's project to extend 10th L to the south somewhere.

There is a rail yard proposed for the lands just to the east of Heritage Road:

1647124390187.png

1647124430141.png

By itself and even w/adding a 3rd track, I'm challenged as to the taking of land as far south as seems to be proposed.

The design of the yard doesn't give any indication of the needs we're seeing here:

1647124571880.png

Hmmm, while that could be a project............

I can't see why they would need land anywhere near that far south merely for work related to the railway.

10444 is about 1.25km south of the railway crossing for Winston Churchill.
Is there a plan to re-align and/or widen Winston Churchhill here?

10th Line currently dead ends at the tracks. That seems more like a need for fencing that a grade-separation to nowhere.
Again, unless there's project to extend 10th L to the south somewhere.

There is a rail yard proposed for the lands just to the east of Heritage Road:

View attachment 385116

View attachment 385117

By itself and even w/adding a 3rd track, I'm challenged as to the taking of land as far south as seems to be proposed.

The design of the yard doesn't give any indication of the needs we're seeing here:

View attachment 385118
Maybe it's for the silver grade separation?

That's what I'm hoping. This snip (from a Metrolinx presentation to City of Brampton, I think) calls it the Credit g/s and locates it between the new layover and Georgetown Station. The lands detailed are the only significant usable stretch between Winston and Gtown Station, immediately west is the Credit river valley, then developed lands in Gtown.

The only case I can see for taking part of the Lot 12 - 14 is for an access road. Interestingly, parcel 10444 WCB belongs to Upper Canada College - its their Outdoor School.
MtPleasant-Georgetown FullBuildOut 2019.png

That's what I'm hoping. This snip (from a Metrolinx presentation to City of Brampton, I think) calls it the Credit g/s and locates it between the new layover and Georgetown Station. The lands detailed are the only significant usable stretch between Winston and Gtown Station, immediately west is the Credit river valley, then developed lands in Gtown.

The only case I can see for taking part of the Lot 12 - 14 is for an access road. Interestingly, parcel 10444 WCB belongs to Upper Canada College - its their Outdoor School.
View attachment 385123
I'm surprised there hasn't been any further renders, info or maps regarding the grade separation.

Back