News   Apr 16, 2024
 308     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.5K     6 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

This posted on Merx:

Tender No. RQQ-2021-ERNA-571

Metrolinx is issuing this Request to Qualify and Quote (RQQ) to retain the services of Vendor(s) and establish a Vendor of Record
(“VOR”) Agreement to provide the goods and/or services described herein.

Metrolinx is accepting Submissions for the provision Design Consulting Services to be delivered on as needed basis for Request No. RQQ-2021-ERNA-571.

Metrolinx is a crown agency of the Government of Ontario under the Metrolinx Act, 2006, reporting to the Ministry of Transportation. It was created to improve the coordination and integration of all modes of transportation in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA). The Metrolinx mandate includes delivering the best possible transportation services today while leading the way to an even better, more convenient service tomorrow; making the best possible use of public transportation investment dollars; and measurably improving the quality of life in the region.

The Stations Capital Delivery Unit, part of GO Expansion in the Capital Projects Group at Metrolinx, is responsible for capital improvements to existing GO Stations and net new stations on the GO Rail Network.

The objective of this Request to Qualify and Quote (RQQ) is to solicit proposals from Proponents for the provision of the Existing Stations Renovations (ESR) project, to complete the detailed design for the renovation of existing GO Rail Stations, as well as engineering services during construction (an option exercisable at the sole discretion of Metrolinx). The requirements are more particularly described in Scope of Work of this Request Document.

This project is to complete the detailed design for the renovation of existing GO Rail Stations across the GO Transit network, in order to improve accessibility, customer experience, safety and overall increased demand for the future. The scope of work includes, but is not limited to; parking lot, bus loop and PUDO expansion, accessibility improvements throughout the entire station footprint, platform works such as snowmelt and edge tiles, and all aspects of station building rehabilitation (electrical, HVAC, mechanical, interior renovation and one new station building structure). The project currently has a reference concept design completed, including Environmental, SUE and Geotechnical Due Diligence for all stations, except for Oakville GO, which can be used to progress the design efforts.

The objective of this Request to Qualify and Quote (RQQ) is to solicit proposals from Proponents for the provision of Design Consulting Services and optional engineering services during construction on an emergent basis over a two-year term, with three additional option years. The requirements are more particularly described in Scope of Work of this Request Document.

ELECTRONIC BID SUBMISSION will be accepted until 3:00 p.m. on March 23, 2022.

***NOTE: ELECTRONIC BID SUBMISSION
Your Submission for this opportunity must be sent to Metrolinx through the use of MetrolinxMERX EBS. Bidders shall be solely responsible for the delivery of their Submission using MetrolinxMERX EBS by the Closing, in accordance with the Instructions to Bidders.

Only Consultant who possess the following experience and qualifications will be considered for award of this Contract:
(A) The necessary resources to sustain and complete the Services to the satisfaction of Metrolinx;
(B) Fifteen (15) years of experience in design, construction support and project management of railway corridors;
I) Heavy civil works related to railway infrastructure
II) Station buildings
III) Architectural, landscape and structural design of transit facilities
IV) LEED Certified building facilities
(C) Ten (10) years demonstrated experience with construction projects undertaken on a live railway corridor which continues to operate during construction..

I didn't pay for the documents so can't detail which stations this applies to (except Oakville as it's specifically mentioned).

Without seeing the contracts and tenders - I don't know.

I do know that several of the companies that do operate in this part of the world are currently suffering from understaffing and simply aren't able to get enough workers onto the sites. That may be part of the issue and may lead to higher costs.

Dan
Right, but aren't these subcontractors on Metrolinx projects all or mostly unionized? Because if so, their rates are bound by multi-year agreements and contractors spiking selling prices is just artificial, and not a true cost inflation. If not, the non union trades are typically making less coin.

We have this issue right now in building construction. Labour is tight, so we try to price higher to account, but the GCs are all fairly aware of unionized labour costs, so you cannot raise rates too high before they take notice.

To be fair, my knowledge of infrastructure construction is considerably less than building construction.

Last edited:
Another thing that is probably factoring into these costs is procurement contingency. When quoting a multi-year project, you need to account for cost increases in procurement that happens later in the project. Usually, you would be fine estimated 2-3% per year, but with all the uncertainty since the start of COVID, those numbers are likely a lot higher. Raw material costs have sky-rocketted and have high uncertainty, so you need to quote on the high end of the uncertainty to cover yourself.

Feb 27
Kennedy

More up on my site

Like a lot of stations, snow clearing sucks that the accessibility community have a bitch trying to get to/from them as well a skating zone for the rest of the riders. Makes no different what city/town, transit systems, snow clearing for pedestrians is the last thing that comes to mind for who every is responsible for clearing sidewalk snow. Things will not change until there is a major lawsuit over it or when someone is major injury from a fall or kill.
51913523967_d1f698b61c_b.jpg
Curious, did you take this last Sunday (Feb. 27)? If so, we may have said hello to each other.

Feb 27
More up on my site

Starting the sidewalk on the eastside of the bridge on the north side of Steeles.

EllisDon is really spread thin these days for all their projects.

Sidewalk went from accessibly to non accessibly to the point you had to stand to the side to allow someone to pass you going in the opposite direction on a skating rink. Only a foot wide path.
51913501282_c4010583a0_b.jpg

51914464606_d9515471a3_b.jpg

51914464416_e365af9912_b.jpg

51914464196_ba1e22969d_b.jpg

51915082350_9833216e89_b.jpg

51914562338_4f30f696b4_b.jpg

51913500377_6201ba87aa_b.jpg

51914463726_a8059031b2_b.jpg

51914562108_d26eca3982_b.jpg

51914562068_853ba304cc_b.jpg

51914786944_d8d3e30e36_b.jpg

51914561938_2f7a14824b_b.jpg

51914463406_ef054683de_b.jpg

Right, but aren't these subcontractors on Metrolinx projects all or mostly unionized? Because if so, their rates are bound by multi-year agreements and contractors spiking selling prices is just artificial, and not a true cost inflation. If not, the non union trades are typically making less coin.

We have this issue right now in building construction. Labour is tight, so we try to price higher to account, but the GCs are all fairly aware of unionized labour costs, so you cannot raise rates too high before they take notice.

To be fair, my knowledge of infrastructure construction is considerably less than building construction.
There have been a number of cases over the past couple of years when one of the rail-based contractors has had to sub to one of their competitors due to a lack of manpower. That'll increase the effective rate as they are now paying for two sets of overhead, rather than one.

With the ongoing manpower shortages, they may now be factoring that in as an eventuality rather than trying to avoid it.

Dan

Another thing that is probably factoring into these costs is procurement contingency. When quoting a multi-year project, you need to account for cost increases in procurement that happens later in the project. Usually, you would be fine estimated 2-3% per year, but with all the uncertainty since the start of COVID, those numbers are likely a lot higher. Raw material costs have sky-rocketted and have high uncertainty, so you need to quote on the high end of the uncertainty to cover yourself.
This is fair, and I am sure it has happened. Unavoidable that this project would cost more than originally intended.

However, while many material costs have increased substantially, nothing has doubled in price. Same with labour, even if they are seeing increased use of sub-subcontractors and extra 20% overhead & profit. We are talking about an extra $100M here on a $135M project. About an 75% increase in cost estimate overall.

To me, this speaks to either the original cost estimate being totally bogus, major scope creep, or these new prices having a hefty P3 FU premium. The last would not surprise me, since dealing with Metrolinx is a pain.

Last edited:
did we talk??
I was taking pics from the same bridge, and then as I walked away a dude jumped out of a car with a proper DSLR and starting taking some too. As I walked away, he said something to me in a friendly tone, but I couldn't quite hear so I just smiled and waved back.

I was taking pics from the same bridge, and then as I walked away a dude jumped out of a car with a proper DSLR and starting taking some too. As I walked away, he said something to me in a friendly tone, but I couldn't quite hear so I just smiled and waved back.
yep!! that was me...... I said you better get all the shots of the RT as it will be gone sometime next year.

I honestly thought the Milliken Station and Steeles underpass construction will be completed by now... The construction started way before the pandemic hit more than two years ago. From the pics, it appears it will take another couple of months to get the job done. I won't be surprised this time if it takes another year.

I honestly thought the Milliken Station and Steeles underpass construction will be completed by now... The construction started way before the pandemic hit more than two years ago. From the pics, it appears it will take another couple of months to get the job done. I won't be surprised this time if it takes another year.
The Milliken Station is way behind as a make work project. Steeles is another story and about 6 months behind.

Still got 2 walkway bridges to be install across Steeles in the coming months.

Expect Agincourt and Unionville will be finish before Milliken.

Based on seeing a number of P3 projects by EllisDon and others, they are spread very thin and lacking manpower both by themselves as well sub trades due to COVID. They will add more resources where they risk seeing back charges as well get them complete sooner than later..

Will say late fall for completion.

The Milliken Station is way behind as a make work project. Steeles is another story and about 6 months behind.

Still got 2 walkway bridges to be install across Steeles in the coming months.

Expect Agincourt and Unionville will be finish before Milliken.

Based on seeing a number of P3 projects by EllisDon and others, they are spread very thin and lacking manpower both by themselves as well sub trades due to COVID. They will add more resources where they risk seeing back charges as well get them complete sooner than later..

Will say late fall for completion.
well they seem to be more vested in their residential high rise projects. They are involved with the west donlands mega project in the distillery at the moment.

well they seem to be more vested in their residential high rise projects. They are involved with the west donlands mega project in the distillery at the moment.
It been painful watching how slow the new east platform has been built the last 2 years that it still not finish.

Even the new west Platform is not 100% complete at Kennedy that is in service these days.

They did get the 401 ready in time for the next phase to start.

Slow in getting the Kipling Hub open and finish after it open.

Slow on a number of residential projects,

Since GO ridership is down with cut in service, ML is allowing EllisDon to be slow on their project if it means delay paying them as require.

Back