News   Mar 28, 2024
 390     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 367     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 715     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

milton freight yard seems most likely to me.

Freight yard for who?
So, it appears as though its the Milton Line.

But the 'more trains' would, I presume, be GO trains, so odd not to have Mx present and the provincial Minister.

Maybe it'll be capital funding for a rail-under-rail grade separation somewhere near the Humber River. Get the GO trains from the south side of the existing rail line to the north side.

Previous GO documents have conceptually shown this. Not at an engineering level but conceptual. IE MS paint

Freight yard for who?
CN

Maybe it'll be capital funding for a rail-under-rail grade separation somewhere near the Humber River. Get the GO trains from the south side of the existing rail line to the north side.
Ah - very interesting. Piecemeal projects like that seem to be good options for the announcement?

^ If the announcement includes something about the CN Milton Logistics Hub/yard, I wonder what it would be? There are several upset constituents in the LPC Milton MP's riding because of the federal approval for it, so will funding be provided to try to mitigate the impact?

It also may be the same boilerplate announcement for "studies of improved via rail service" - just the local announcement for Aldershot station.

Good news for commuters in Milton was specifically stated.

Here:
1628607181093.png

So unlikely its anything to do with Aldershot.

Just received this press release from Caroline Mulroney's office regarding today's announcement?
The people of Ontario expect all levels of government to work together in the public interest. In the context of public transit, earlier this year, together with the Honourable Catherine McKenna, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, I was proud to join the Government of Canada in announcing a federal contribution of over $12 billion to Premier Doug Ford’s transit vision for Ontario.

To that end, I was very pleased to hear about Transport Canada’s interest in providing federal funds for the Milton GO corridor and formalizing this commitment through a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). As you know, the corridor is the third busiest in the GO Transit system averaging close to 30,000 riders each weekday pre-pandemic.

Ontario has been seeking a federal partner to make the necessary contribution for this congested corridor to facilitate more passenger rail movements, which can only happen safely when there is improved separation between freight and passenger rail services. With federal funds, we can build additional tracks along the corridor so Metrolinx can run more passenger services safely.

Metrolinx has assessed a series of infrastructure changes that, when implemented, will help bring two-way all-day service to these communities. On my direction, Ministry of Transportation officials have provided costing information for these upgrades to Transport Canada.

Minister, I hope you would agree that the importance of this corridor requires an unambiguous funding commitment. Discussions with federal officials to date only speak to aspirational commitments and do not provide the certainly required to move this project forward. In fact, I raised this very issue during our call on August 3, and you indicated that your government is not prepared to commit to a funding amount. Minister, I must again insist on a firm written commitment (in principle) with Ontario. …/2 -2-

Given the significant benefits to the communities along the Milton corridor, we strongly believe Transport Canada has the responsibility to contribute the funding to facilitate these necessary upgrades along the corridor, much like you are planning with other parts of Ontario and Quebec for High-Frequency Rail. Thank you for making your staff and Transport Canada officials available to discuss a MOU between our governments. As these discussions continue, it is my hope that we can formalize a firm federal funding commitment within this MOU that would uphold Transport Canada’s responsibility for safety.

Ontario has been seeking a federal partner to make the necessary contribution for this congested corridor to facilitate more passenger rail movements, which can only happen safely when there is improved separation between freight and passenger rail services. With federal funds, we can build additional tracks along the corridor so Metrolinx can run more passenger services safely.

Oi, @drum118, your extra Milton tracks are finally arriving!

The weird thing I have noticed is that the representatives who attend these events are always inconsistent. For instance, for some reason both the MP and MPP of Aurora-Newmarket attended the announcement of Clark Station being announced (which is far away from either of their ridings).
I think that was because the north York Region pols were fishing for more benefits from YNSE. Demonstrating the flag, if you will.

Something about all day two way GO service! Until the stream cut off again.

Edit: The stream is finally upright. Minister Alghebra through Transport Canada offers up to 50% funding for capacity enhancement (third/quad tracking?) on the Milton Line for the purpose of 2WAD Milton line service. The stream proceeds to die again.

Last edited:

Back