News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 531     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

That's why ML has been noodling on how to rearrange platform allocations at Union to maximise the throughput through the ladders and flyover between Union and Bathurst Street. Several ML documents have shown different layouts and I don't know if there is a final official version. Having the tracks narrow from 8 to something less on the Weston corridor, and merging with the four from the Oakville corridor, isn't a problem per se... provided the number of moves requiring crossing over is minimised.

- Paul
This is the most recent layout I've seen. Not sure if you've seen this one. This is from a noise and vibration pdf released back in December. Pg. 88/89 to save you the trouble.

1620176463936.png

Edit: Added in the TRBOT proposal for comparison.

1620182634130.png

Attachments

• 1620176051484.png
    1620176051484.png
    323.8 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
^Thanks for that! The previous page is also relevant as it shows how the 8 tracks from Weston merge with the 4 from LSW. Note that the Spadina station has been inserted, and the LSW no longer uses the flyunder in the same way.

From the top:
- 2 tracks to Barrie (with stop at Spadina)
- 4 tracks to Bramalea/Georgetown/Kitchener
- 2 tracks to Milton
- the Western Lead aka "back route" to Exhibition - which had been disconnected, last I looked
- 4 tracks to LSW

- Paul

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 9.34.19 PM.png

Last edited:
Any idea what tracks would be used for what lines through union based on those diagrams? The best I can figure is Eastbound trains for the Lakeshore lines and VIA would use TK14&5, VIA would use TK13W&13E, Westbound lakeshore and VIA would use TK11&12. Not sure about the rest.

If they are expanding tracks here, won't they also need to expand tracks further east after Lakeshore West line merges? Otherwise that will become a choke point. I don't see any space west of Union to add more tracks.
It was shown on a TTC plan for the Western Waterfront Plan to have a new track 1 on the north side of Exhibition Station to Mimico Station and the same for a track 6. You can put in the new track 1 with no problem to the point ML has a plan to add that bridge over the Humber River. Track 6 is a questionably.

Last edited:
What if there could be another way to bring 2WAD to Milton by using the Kitchener Line? There is a spur west of Georgetown GO and it could head straight south to Milton GO. I guess there would be some complications with both CN and CP but is there really any traffic that would interfere with freight?

There's not much point with a shuttle service between Milton and Union, though. The talk of Milton RER is predicated on Mississauga ridership, and the operational complexity increase doesn't seem worth the service to one station.

If they are expanding tracks here, won't they also need to expand tracks further east after Lakeshore West line merges? Otherwise that will become a choke point. I don't see any space west of Union to add more tracks.
The thing is.....

From a throughput point-of-view, it kind of isn't much of a choke point when compared to the track to the west.

With the trains all running at about the same speed, and with a dense signal layout, they can run far more trains on each track through the USRC than they can out on the mainlines, where the signal spacing is longer due to the higher speeds (and thus, longer stopping distances).

Of course, this is all within reason, too. If all of the trains were running 10mph, it would be a chokepoint again as the previous train wouldn't be able to clear before the one following showed up. At the 30-to-45mph that they plan on running through the ladders, trains will be able to clear pretty quickly.

Dan

This is the most recent layout I've seen. Not sure if you've seen this one. This is from a noise and vibration pdf released back in December. Pg. 88/89 to save you the trouble.

View attachment 317298
Edit: Added in the TRBOT proposal for comparison.

View attachment 317309
Great find with that Metrolinx Union Station track plan map. I just have some questions/observations in the graphic below (I added in the eastern side on page 89). I annotated in blue numbering the platforms I think I see. cc @reaperexpress @crs1026 @smallspy

1620225331124.png

Attachments

• 1620225117265.png
    1620225117265.png
    201.7 KB · Views: 159
Great find with that Metrolinx Union Station track plan map. I just have some questions/observations in the graphic below (I added in the eastern side on page 89). I annotated in blue numbering the platforms I think I see. cc @reaperexpress @crs1026 @smallspy

View attachment 317358
My uneducated guess for the 4 stub tracks TK10E, TK10W, TK13E, and TK13W is for VIA departures; and potentially other express train departures depending on the platform length. VIA arrivals can unload relatively quickly and then pull forward and back into the stub tracks as they prep and wait for loading as departures.

View attachment 317358
I believe Metrolinx still intends to convert the UP Express to regular GO service and replacing the trains with GO EMUs. Part of that process is to move the UPX platforms to the existing platforms further south.

I believe Metrolinx still intends to convert the UP Express to regular GO service and replacing the trains with GO EMUs.

Metrolinx is expecting Electric Locomotives (hauling existing GO cars) to be the preference of the winning bidder (6-car 1EL, and 12-car 2EL), rather than EMU.

Or, at least they're not ruling it out when planning yards, platforms, noise profiles, etc.

Actually? They've mentioned this internally?

Metrolinx hasn't mentioned it but they have gone to significant effort to ensure it is an option for bidding based on discussion with short-listed bidders. Commuter rail electric locomotives are quite cheap and most existing GO rolling stock is usable for several more decades.

Last edited:
Metrolinx hasn't mentioned it but they have gone to significant effort to ensure it is an option for bidding based on discussion from the bidders. Commuter rail electric locomotives are quite cheap.
It also allows them to continue using their fairly extensive stock of carriages. I expect the final system to run a mix of Diesel Locomotive, Electric Locomotive, and EMUs.

Metrolinx is expecting Electric Locomotives (hauling existing GO cars) to be the preference of the winning bidder (6-car 1EL, and 12-car 2EL), rather than EMU.

Or, at least they're not ruling it out when planning yards, platforms, noise profiles, etc.

They should include acceleration profiles in the bid requirements. If a electric loco can meet the needed acceleration profiles of a subway-like frequent regional system, im all for it. But id be surprised if it could.

Back