News   Apr 25, 2024
 156     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 334     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 531     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Bloomington Station nearing completion:

thumbnail_IMG_6197.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6211.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6237.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6255.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6256.jpg

Electricians are testing the interior lighting, emergency and egress lighting, as well as the real-time parking availability indicator systems.
thumbnail_IMG_6257.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6258.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6261.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6260.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6259.jpg

125204270_1709874009190628_8805140567135156938_n.jpg

New (to me at least) photos of the new Union Bus terminal. It says the terminal will open on December 5th.
The airport style boarding may get pretty confusing to get used to, especially people in a hurry who muscle memory their way to the bus. Now they have to stop, look for their platform and then go

I think people are over thinking this. Its not like the building is going to be the size of an airport. The zones are only there for people who arrive well before departure time. They said in the article that gates will be announced 10 minutes before departure times. I assume the zones is where a consistency aspect will be. A bus route will probably always be in the same zone but at different gates within that zone every time. Just how I inferred the article I could be wrong though.

I think people are over thinking this. Its not like the building is going to be the size of an airport. The zones are only there for people who arrive well before departure time. They said in the article that gates will be announced 10 minutes before departure times. I assume the zones is where a consistency aspect will be. A bus route will probably always be in the same zone but at different gates within that zone every time. Just how I inferred the article I could be wrong though.

I think this makes it easier to accommodate intercity buses should things work out.

I think this makes it easier to accommodate intercity buses should things work out.

Yes, there will be the intercity buses (some or all out of: TOK formerly Can-Ar, Ontario Northland, Greyhound, and Megabus), but I think people are also forgetting that with GO RER, a lot of the GO buses that currently serve Union will no longer exist or will run only in very odd hours (early morning or late night). Milton and Richmond Hill will probably retain their counter-/off-peak bus service due to the issues with the freight railways disallowing additional train service, but buses on most other lines will be practically eliminated.

I just looked through all of GO's full schedules, and while things have slowed down due to COVID, it seems that for most of the day on most lines, there are already very few bus trips servicing Union now that Kitchener, Barrie, and Stouffville have their off-peak AD2W train service, most of those remaining trips are counter-peak as double-tracking is not yet complete on those corridors, but once it is, bus service to Union should practically disappear on those lines. Lakeshore East and West have had no regular buses for many years now outside of odd hours, other than the Hamilton QEW Express. Thinking back personally to many times being at the USBT and finding it overwhelmingly busy in roughly the 2010-2017 period, there were lots of very busy Barrie, Kitchener, and Stouffville buses, which are now trains instead.

So, by roughly 2025, probably the only GO Bus routes with significant service to/from Union outside of the 1AM-5PM window will be the Hamilton Express, Milton, and Richmond Hill lines. These should easily be able to fit into the 7 platforms/2 zones on one of the two floors of the bus terminal, leaving the other floor/2 zones/7 platforms for intercity services. That should keep things fairly simple for passengers.

Yes, there will be the intercity buses (some or all out of: TOK formerly Can-Ar, Ontario Northland, Greyhound, and Megabus), but I think people are also forgetting that with GO RER, a lot of the GO buses that currently serve Union will no longer exist or will run only in very odd hours (early morning or late night). Milton and Richmond Hill will probably retain their counter-/off-peak bus service due to the issues with the freight railways disallowing additional train service, but buses on most other lines will be practically eliminated.

I just looked through all of GO's full schedules, and while things have slowed down due to COVID, it seems that for most of the day on most lines, there are already very few bus trips servicing Union now that Kitchener, Barrie, and Stouffville have their off-peak AD2W train service, most of those remaining trips are counter-peak as double-tracking is not yet complete on those corridors, but once it is, bus service to Union should practically disappear on those lines. Lakeshore East and West have had no regular buses for many years now outside of odd hours, other than the Hamilton QEW Express. Thinking back personally to many times being at the USBT and finding it overwhelmingly busy in roughly the 2010-2017 period, there were lots of very busy Barrie, Kitchener, and Stouffville buses, which are now trains instead.

So, by roughly 2025, probably the only GO Bus routes with significant service to/from Union outside of the 1AM-5PM window will be the Hamilton Express, Milton, and Richmond Hill lines. These should easily be able to fit into the 7 platforms/2 zones on one of the two floors of the bus terminal, leaving the other floor/2 zones/7 platforms for intercity services. That should keep things fairly simple for passengers.

Based on the fact that Greyhound service is still suspended, there's been speculation that they won't make it past the pandemic (or they'll be severely weakened). In that case, I expect/hope to see the 25/29 extended from Square One to Union (with perhaps a stop at Kipling). It's said that the reason these two routes don't go to Union (even though a lot of their passengers are heading to Downtown Toronto) is because GO Transit/the Province doesn't want to cannibalize Greyhound's commuter routes. As for Richmond Hill (Route 61), I hope to see AD2W service 7 days a week. The line is arguably better served by bus than rail because the bus makes on-street stops on Yonge between Highway 7 and Major Mac (lots of condos going up in that area). With the train, the folks living in those condos will first have to make their way to Langstaff or Richmond Hill GO.

The original proposal here, for the site in the sticks; that offered low-cost of land, and construction is also a site for the very same reasons that is of low interest for development.

I'm not sure Grimsby has enough near-term potential for private delivery of a station, but if it does, I expect its with reduced parking in the central location.

I suppose this post could go here or into any one of several threads (Electrification, Rail Deck Park, GO Fleet, for instance) but I will put it here and the mods can deal with it if I'm in the wrong place.

Those interested in what's happening west of Union Station might be interested in the documents in the City of Toronto's Development Application web site for 433 Front St West. Sorry, I can't provide the exact urls - you have to use the search engine. Anyways, the Architectural Plans and the "Linked Documents" contain a great deal of information about how that development would be built on top of the rail lines, and how the structural details will be managed in light of crashworthiness standards for buildings close to rail lines, how a Spadina Station would be aligned, etc.

The one diagram that I found most interesting was the "Plate Diagram" giving the dimensions envisioned for GO equipment clearances under electrification. There are also lots of diagrams showing an impressive array of side by side GO trains (locomotives on the west end of the train, I might add).

Very informative reading.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.03.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 12.12.55 PM.png

Back