News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 866     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

^ Part of the slowness is that the Province directed Metrolinx to work with the private sector to fund station redevelopments. So this could be a case of Metrolinx requiring Province direction to proceed. It's important to understand that Provincial direction piece when considering the progress for openings.

A check of the Toronto Development Applications web site shows that a development proposal for 315 qnd 327 Royal York Road was submitted in 2019 and is currently awaiting a staff review report to be submitted to the Etobicoke York Community Council. The latest correspondence on the file was in late September.
315 Royal York is the GO station, 327 is the previously-excavated hole from a previous failed condo project, which sits waiting for further attention.

I expect we won’t see anything happen at Mimico GO until this project gets a building permit.

- Paul

Well 2025 is fast approaching, so Metrolinx has to meet the provincial target date for the AODA. I dare them to keep dragging their feet on making local Toronto GO stations accessible. If they want to keep on with their dragging, I hope they get sued to the largest extent possible.

Well 2025 is fast approaching, so Metrolinx has to meet the provincial target date for the AODA. I dare them to keep dragging their feet on making local Toronto GO stations accessible. If they want to keep on with their dragging, I hope they get sued to the largest extent possible.

There's no foot dragging, but for a project of this size one has to expect that there will be a planning process. This was the first development focussed site to be approved, and now there is a new building design which is completely beyond what had been planned for the site before. The entire station becomes part of the development. The plans can be found in the development application file here. Assuming the proposal clears the City in due course, construction will likely be done by 2025.

This render, from the architectural drawings in the application file, gives a hint of the scope of the change. (PS: note the lack of catenary)

- Paul
Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 9.59.54 PM.png

This render, from the architectural drawings in the application file, gives a hint of the scope of the change. (PS: note the lack of catenary)

- Paul
View attachment 280641

On the render; there's also no platform lighting, no seating and no canopy.

Maybe we ought not to take that portion of the render literally.

Don't forget there is to be an east tunnel with an elevator that could be in service by 2022 and the main entrance by 2024/25.

On the render; there's also no platform lighting, no seating and no canopy.

Maybe we ought not to take that portion of the render literally.

Yeah, renders are half useful and half fantasy. In this case, one sees the intent of the structure which is helpful. That's why there is a planning process - to flesh out all the little details like location of sidewalks, etc. I do think that this example highlights how developers may be more focussed on their traditional emphases - the building design - than on the station. If we are going down the road of developer-led stations, I think it's fair to insist that developers design the things that go into the station itself with equal rigour.

The east tunnel is shown in the detailed drawings but I am pessimistic that it could be pursued as a standalone. In fact, I wonder what the plan is for a temporary depot during construciton. The construction hoarding is likely to go all the way to the tracks.

- Paul

Further to Mimico GO - the City staff report went before Etobicoke York Community Council on Nov 3rd. Minute here.

Staff recommended that the development application not be accepted. The Community Council voted unanimously to forward the report to City Council “without recommendations”.

Staff report documenting their reservations and outstanding issue is here.

City Council next meets Nov 25th. And of course, a Ministerial Order is always possible.

- Paul

Further to Mimico GO - the City staff report went before Etobicoke York Community Council on Nov 3rd. Minute here.

Staff recommended that the development application not be accepted. The Community Council voted unanimously to forward the report to City Council “without recommendations”.

Staff report documenting their reservations and outstanding issue is here.

City Council next meets Nov 25th. And of course, a Ministerial Order is always possible.

- Paul

" While the Context Plan does provide the basis to resolve a number of issues with the current application, staff also note there are other matters of concern such as tower heights and building densities that are still unresolved (particularly the proposal for two towers on the 327 Royal York Road lands). Further details/materials would be required for review and consideration by City staff. "

City staff is delusional. They expect Vandyk to build the GO station for free? Surely there have got to be tradeoffs

City staff is delusional. They expect Vandyk to build the GO station for free? Surely there have got to be tradeoffs

The tradeoff is Vandyk won't get the high Transit Oriented Development densities approved if they don't build the transit component. It also lets them sell a few hundred million in retail that many in the nearby neighbourhood will be walking past daily.

considering that they are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on this development already and potential revenue spinoff, adding a station thats integrated into the building is like putting an additional $20 bill. The last thing they want is to get on the city's bad list where future projects by them would be given a tougher time

" While the Context Plan does provide the basis to resolve a number of issues with the current application, staff also note there are other matters of concern such as tower heights and building densities that are still unresolved (particularly the proposal for two towers on the 327 Royal York Road lands). Further details/materials would be required for review and consideration by City staff. "

Did you read the linked report?

The City did not ask for lower overall density.

They asked for the inclusion of additional lands, redistributing how that density is built and improving the public realm.

There is nothing unreasonable in what the City is saying, their are no delusions.

^ I won't belabour the overall planning issues. They are typical of the tension between developer profit and sound city building. We know how that usually works out in this city.

What is concerning to me as a transit/rail guy is that the statement that the proposal does not meet the prevailing standards for crashworthiness and setback from a rail corridor. Those standards are not delusional city planning. They have been widely accepted as necessary for safety.

It's stated that the developer has to provide a safety mitigation plan. We'll see how that stands up.

- Paul

Wonder if this complicates the plan to use the CP bridge over the 401 for the GM plant? Or I guess GM would just stick with shipping by CN?

cc @crs1026

That's significant news for the GTA; I'd be fascinated to know where that came from.

The decision to restart a full assembly plant that was destined for abandonment.

If I was being cynical, I might wonder if the closure were always temporary to shake loose the older more expensive workers.

Back