News   Apr 26, 2024
 547     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 396     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 584     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

The place where we need this most is Union station. Trains crawl through that mess of track.

But I think the speed restrictions are because of the archaic signaling system
Metrolinx has been working to address that one for what seems like a decade. I believe the plan is to upgrade the switches to 45mph switches as Dan mentioned though.. which while not 75mph like @reaperexpress has mentioned, is a significant improvement on the existing switches which I'm guessing operate at around 10mph.

Last I heard the switch installation in the USRC is complete, and once the signaling upgrades are done track speeds can improve significantly. I don't think that is scheduled until late 2021 or early 2022 though.

^Upgrading 30 mph to 45 mph gives a very positive.improvement on travel time, given the current signal spacing which would have trains receiving restrictive signals and preparing to slow to 30 some distance from the junction. And of course the accel and decel times and speeds are improved. Given the transition from 4 tracks to 3, plenty of trains will need to cross over there. So it may not be the ultimate, but it’s a good thing.

I would want to see ML do one or two pilot implementations of higher than 45 turnouts before installing them in a critical location such as Canpa. Because snow and ice and the more complicated mechanics of a longer turnout. Yeah, lots of people may have them, but the ML workforce (who are contractors, and subject to change) need learning time.

Canpa is also where equipment moves enter and leave yards. Some of those routes are constrained by 15 mph turnouts and yard operating restrictions. I wonder if the upgrades will improve any of that. A train slowing to 15 mph to enter the yard uses up track time.

- Paul

CTV Kitchener aired a clip on Thursday night that showed the new crossing arms for the sidewalks. They had double bars, a standard road height bar and a second one draped about 0.5m below it to discourage duck-unders. I'm sure the usual suspects that ignored the road gates and crossed on the sidewalk anyway will just avoid these new gates by either going around or ducking under the road arm.

Case in point, the CTV clip showed a pedestrian trotting 15m or so down the tracks to cross ahead of a slow moving freight on the far track. Imagine if it had been on the near track with a fast moving GO coming up alongside? You can't fix stupid.

Last edited:
Construction of new GO East Platform at Kennedy Station
November 9, 2020
What Work is Taking Place?
Beginning November 9, 2020, crews at Kennedy Station will begin construction on the new GO East platform. Excavation will take place for approximately two weeks followed by concrete works, backfill, electrical works and platform construction. Excavation will take place up to the fence line. The construction of platform will take approximately eight (8) months. Updates will be provided as work progresses

That place has seen a lot of construction. I used to take subway from there after a bus ride when Crosstown was under construction. After GO, we will see construction on subway line extension in a few years.

That place has seen a lot of construction. I used to take subway from there after a bus ride when Crosstown was under construction. After GO, we will see construction on subway line extension in a few years.
And then the GO station will be reconstructed again to support level boarding 🤡

Preferred Proponent Selected for the QEW/ Credit River Improvement Project
November 02, 2020
TORONTO –Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) have selected EllisDon and Coco Paving (EDCO) as the preferred proponent to design, build and finance the QEW / Credit River Improvement project.
EDCO team includes:
  • Developer: EllisDon Capital Inc. and Coco Paving Inc.
  • Constructors: EllisDon Capital Inc. and Coco Paving Inc.
  • Designers: AECOM Canada Ltd.
  • Financial: EllisDon Capital Inc
The selection of EDCO is the result of an open, fair and competitive procurement process overseen by a third-party fairness advisor.
IO and MTO expect to reach financial close end of 2020.
Visit here to learn more about the project.
This should be in the Highways thread, no?

The fact that it's taking Mimico this long to get any full station improvements to platform level really shows how badly Metrolinx has neglected Toronto from a station infrastructure perspective. Absolutely pathetic.

Back