News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 568     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 869     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I agree on both comments, the potential usefulness of the station, and the trouble of spread out destinations. I'll also add that people heading up to cottage country are generally carrying at least a trunk full of things (food, clothing, toys, etc) which can be difficult to lug around on a train/public transit.

Would Ontario be interested in developing the main cities in cottage country as destinations unto themselves? Thus drawing people in for 1 - 2 nights at a time. Say for example, Bala, Bracebridge, Parry Sound, Bancroft, etc, etc, etc. Creating a demand for hotel space in those towns which could be used as jumping off points for other activities in the area.

Or would cottagers bemoan the encroaching hoard of "crowds" into their quiet small cottage towns

I'm not sure I see much of a provincial role, beyond the current assortment of regional development/municipal loans and grants. Other than provincial parks, the province has a history of being a fairly lousy tourist operator. Besides, all the prime real estate is privately owned.
There are already resorts and hotels in these areas. They range from pricier ones typically waterfront, particularly on the Muskoka 'big 3' lakes, that come with their own amenities and activities down the chain and ma-and-pa smaller ones, typically not on water and typically lacking much in the way of amenities. The challenge for most business in this area is making enough money in a few months to pay the bills for the whole year. There is a limited off-season market.

Not surprise that plan schedule has now been move to Aug based on what I saw on July 1st

GO West Platform Relocation at Kennedy Station - August 17, 2020
What Work is Taking Place?
As part of GO Transit improvements at Kennedy GO Station, the existing GO Transit platform will be temporarily closed. Pedestrians will use the new GO Transit platform located across the existing tracks as early as August 17, 2020.

Pedestrians will be rerouted through the Kennedy TTC Station to the temporary new GO Transit platform (depicted below). Pedestrians can access the new platform through the south parking lot. Directional signage will be posted throughout the station in addition to on fencing on the platforms.
This configuration will remain in place for approximately one year.
Please expect a pedestrian detour at Kennedy Station and allow extra time for your journey during this period of time.

Bloomington GO Station (Hwy 404 at Bloomington Rd:

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5134.jpg

IMG_5135.jpg

IMG_5132.jpg

Garage Mahal is coming along nicely.
Really a shame that despite the massive mausoleum of a station, the platforms are just a cheap hardly covered afterthought..... you'd think that with such a building the platform would be built inside the station but nope.....they just won't learn from the rest of the world how to build a modern train station

^Check back in this thread and you will see renders of other planned stations from ML's "Delusions of Grandeur" period when Wynne and Del Duca were at the helm. This one actually squeaked through.

For that matter, when I look at the amount of double tracking that happened on this line since it was extended northwards from Richmond Hill, I wonder about the BCA analysis. On a per-rider basis, this line has attracted a lot of investment. How did that happen?

Wasn't it Toronto Councillor Holyday who muttered that anything more than a few concrete block shelters was overkill?

- Paul

I'm not surprised Bloomington has a large garage. Seeing as it is currently surrounded by fields and the in-fill will be slow, if at all depending how the government treats the Moraine, the station is largely going to be fed by the surrounding area that can't be realistically served by municipal transit. I see it being an attractive driving or transit option for north Richmond Hill (Oak Ridges), south Aurora and possibly eastern Newmarket, as well as driving in from Queensville/Keswick, Beaverton, Uxbridge and surrounding rural areas.

>attractive driving or transit option for north Richmond Hill (Oak Ridges), south Aurora and possibly eastern Newmarket, as well as driving in from Queensville/Keswick, Beaverton, Uxbridge and surrounding rural areas.

Boy do I have news for you: There is no local transit planned to connect to this station.

^ just like gormley, there is gonna be no yrt service for eternity, and barely any go service. Honestly bloomington was a huge waste of time for a line that doesn’t even run all day for starters

Also uxbridge, beaverton and even georgina has the more reliable stouffville corridor to go to so yeah

Of course park and ride is the only realistic means to serve this area. The real question is why on Earth did the garage have to be so grand. It should have been utterly bare bones.

Of course park and ride is the only realistic means to serve this area. The real question is why on Earth did the garage have to be so grand. It should have been utterly bare bones.

There was no need for Bloomington *and* Gormley, given they’re both next to the 404, they’re both on the Oak Ridges Moraine, and neither have useful or potential transit links.

One, sure. Two is ridiculous.

There was no need for Bloomington *and* Gormley, given they’re both next to the 404, they’re both on the Oak Ridges Moraine, and neither have useful or potential transit links.

One, sure. Two is ridiculous.
While I'm not sure why Gormley GO was built, I do understand (somewhat) why it couldn't have been the terminus. Simply put Stouffville Road is only 2 lanes wide and if (and unfortunately that's a big if) in the future Park and Ride demand for RH Line increases enough, there is a fear that Stouffville GO will be packed. As for why Gormley GO exists at all, I guess its to serve the new neighbourhood at Bayview and (north of) Stouffville? Idk.

As for why Gormley GO exists at all, I guess its to serve the new neighbourhood at Bayview and (north of) Stouffville? Idk.

Gormley, Bloomington and the eventual Vandorf stations are all seen as ways of catching a lot of the commuters from the east sides of Newmarket and Aurora that are not willing to drive to the existing Barrie Line stations to the west of them.

Dan

Back