News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 656     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 931     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

^The original earthmoving was needed to put a proper roadway in for construction vehicles working on various bits of the track changes and some roadway improvements. But the dirt seems to get moved around occasionally, for no apparent purpose. It may indeed be temporary storage.

- Paul

Media report on last night's meeting about the installation of the 4th track for the Kitchener Line, and the changes/upgrades to the West Toronto Railpath.

CBC News Toronto 11PM newscast report on the meeting. Scroll to the 2:40 mark.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1629730883710
Is there a link to the slides & maps? I can't find it on the Metrolinx website.

Here’s more on consultation re track additions on the Guelph Sub

- Paul

When asked about the timeline for the project Bissanauth wrote, “Metrolinx is in the pre-planning and assessment phase for the electrification and infrastructure Environmental Assessment, which will include public consultation. Stay tuned for more information.”

Is this a slip or is Bissonauth saying that electrification is part of their EA on the Guelph Sub? I've followed Kitchener Line news for some time and never seen any mention of potential electrification west of Georgetown, and the planned electrification study area I read about years ago only seemed to go as far as Bramalea. Given that the article spells Bissonauth's name wrong in the quote I don't have high hopes, but this seems really surprising.

^The only “real” work that I understand will happen in the short term is the addition of sidings along the Guelph Sub, and some rearrangement of trackage in Kitchener, along with the current track and level crossing improvement.
It’s quite like ML to study and EA things against llonger term plans, but that doesn’t mean they have the inclination or funding to proceed.
The original EA for double tracking the Guelph Sub is now 10 years old, so would need to be updated just to have an EA current in the files.
- Paul

A couple pictures of the recent work in Guelph:

Looking west at Yorkshire.

Looking west at Glasgow.

^ I’m told that there will be similar work blocks coming up on several weekends between now to December that will do similar improvement for the entire Guelph-Kitchener section of the line.
Oct 18-21
#20 Crossover Installation – 62.20
#12 Crossover Removal – 62.14
Lancaster St. Crossing Rehab – 62.08
Mainline Undercutting 62.04-61.90
Yorkshire Crossing Rehab – 49.33
Mainline Undercutting – 49.33-49.09
Bridge Panel Track Construction – 48.94 & 48.98

Nov 1-4
St.Leger Crossing Rehabilitation – 62.26
Service Track Rehabilitation – 61.48-62.05
Mainline Undercutting – 49.33-49.79

Nov 15-18
Mainline Undercutting – 49.79-56.35
Mainline Undercutting – 56.29-56.35
Mainline Undercutting – 55.40-55.70
Service Track Rehabilitation – 61.48-62.05

Nov 29-Dec 2
Mainline Undercutting – 52.21-52.28
Mainline Undercutting – 51.97-52.07
Mainline Undercutting – 32.10-32.20

- Paul

It's too bad that, as usual, the progress of construction did not go nearly as well as their media spin did.

A number of level crossings remain closed this morning as they did not complete the paving operations overnight.

Dan

Back