News   Sep 17, 2019
 286     0 
News   Sep 17, 2019
 482     3 
News   Sep 17, 2019
 446     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Aug 23
Work still taking place on the new Kennedy platform. No changes to the track to the north of the station.

Agincourt GO Station.
Finally made a visit to the station and some big chances since I was last there. Looks like Mextrolinx bought out a few buildings to expand the parking lot.

The new tunnel to the new centre platform in place with forming taking place for the stairs and elevators to the new platform and on the west side of the existing one. Noise Barrier up on both side of the corridor to the north of the station as well grading for the 2nd track taking place.

Like the art work on the station windows and needs to happen at other stations.

Millikan GO Station.
Didn't look at the station work at all.

Shoring taking place on the south side of Steeles on the west side of the track. One road to the plaza close and a new walkway to the station in place Some shoring on the north side on the east side of the track has taken place.

Excavation taking place on the east side of the track on the south side and had to laugh at what I saw on the steel supporting the excavation. The I beam is a 24 WF 84 cut from a 65' beam roll in Spain. Never seen a 65' beam as NA rolls 60' unless special roll at high tonnage order. Must got a cheap price since off shore steel can be 5 cent to $1 a pound cheaper than Canadian Mills, let alone US Minn Mills.

Only seen 2 signs so far for station expansion and looks like Metrolinx is doing one of a kind for them other than changing the station name on one sign. Guess this Ford Budget cutting.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone know why ML still hasnt adopted level boarding platforms for their new build and rebuild stations? Seems like a terrible wasted opportunity to modernize
And what level do they choose? The North American industry standard of 48" - which the BiLevels don't have a door for? The Western standard of 15", which would require every single BiLevel to have the steps relocated? (And which may be obsolete if new equipment is purchased?)

Dan

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
Does anyone know why ML still hasnt adopted level boarding platforms for their new build and rebuild stations? Seems like a terrible wasted opportunity to modernize
Phil Verster was quoted saying that new builds would be given level boarding. However, as mentioned perhaps they are waiting to see what happens with RER. Even getting the height consistently level with the current door seems like a decent challenge given it probably requires removing the step which would create a significant platform gap.

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Phil Verster was quoted saying that new builds would be given level boarding. However, as mentioned perhaps they are waiting to see what happens with RER. Even getting the height consistently level with the current door seems like a decent challenge given it probably requires removing the step which would create a significant platform gap.
I think as long as new stairs and elevators are built for easy modifications for raised platforms, it should be fine.

Ross W

Member Bio
Reaction score
Aug 23
Work still taking place on the new Kennedy platform. No changes to the track to the north of the station.

Agincourt GO Station.
Finally made a visit to the station and some big chances since I was last there. Looks like Mextrolinx bought out a few buildings to expand the parking lot.

The new tunnel to the new centre platform in place with forming taking place for the stairs and elevators to the new platform and on the west side of the existing one. Noise Barrier up on both side of the corridor to the north of the station as well grading for the 2nd track taking place.

Like the art work on the station windows and needs to happen at other stations.

Millikan GO Station.
Didn't look at the station work at all.

Shoring taking place on the south side of Steeles on the west side of the track. One road to the plaza close and a new walkway to the station in place Some shoring on the north side on the east side of the track has taken place.

Excavation taking place on the east side of the track on the south side and had to laugh at what I saw on the steel supporting the excavation. The I beam is a 24 WF 84 cut from a 65' beam roll in Spain. Never seen a 65' beam as NA rolls 60' unless special roll at high tonnage order. Must got a cheap price since off shore steel can be 5 cent to $1 a pound cheaper than Canadian Mills, let alone US Minn Mills.

Only seen 2 signs so far for station expansion and looks like Metrolinx is doing one of a kind for them other than changing the station name on one sign. Guess this Ford Budget cutting.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
@Ross W What are you trying to say with empty reply???????????????????

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
@ Ross not sure what you trying to say, but if its about 2 or more posting of the same posting, take it up with the admin as its their system problem since I only post once. Too many issues with the site since last change including logging in, accessing the site or a page.

Krypto98

Member Bio
Reaction score
Weston Go Aug 26th 2019
Looks like they have finished clearing space for the 4th track and platform.
20190826_181934.jpg
20190826_181950.jpg
20190826_181759.jpg
20190826_181752.jpg
20190826_181954.jpg

Highway 401/409 Aug 26th 2019. Looks like they are building twin tunnels? Only the east side has the metal tubes, the west doesn't have them.
20190826_182257.jpg
20190826_182258.jpg
20190826_182307.jpg

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ They are adding two tracks total so I guess it's one tube per track? cc @crs1026 @smallspy
The original designs called for 2 tunnels - one 2-track tunnel immediately to the east of the current underpass, and a second, smaller one for an access road beside it. I don't know if they still intend to work to those plans, but it certainly looks like it could be the case.

Dan

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
^ Thanks. Hadn't realized they would build a service tunnel so interesting to hear. Would it also act as an emergency exit tunnel? Also, looks like the smaller tunnel is going in between the existing tunnel and the new one?