News   Apr 19, 2024
 820     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 652     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

No word on Mt. Dennis GO station...

Edit: According to the following link, Mt Dennis station is included in the Crosstown project, and presumably there is no need to tender it separately:

In fact, preliminary work on Mount Dennis has already started.

Dan

I'm curious about the Confederation GO station. Is the rail station opening this year, or is it just the bus loop? What is the service plan once Confederation opens.

I've done some googling, but only yielded a few articles in the past year.
I haven't found anything myself although 2019 does not seem likely to me. Service will likely be the same 2 trips per direction per day as West Harbour and then the existing Route 12 GO bus between Burlington and Niagara.

^ Would this add double tracking? cc @crs1026

I don't have access to the documents, but the answer is likely, it's the first step.

The key words are "Enabling works". My understanding is that in ML procurement space this implies utility relocation, grading, fencing and/or sound walls, culvert extenstion, etc....but not necessarily the laying of track itself and installation of signalling.

MP 21.10 is the first farm crossing north of the end of double track at Kirby, and MP 29.17 is Englehard Road, just south of Aurora Station. So logically that implies at least one track in addition to the current single track on that stretch. That's enough passing capacity to push hourly 2WAD service to possibly Bradford, assuming the Davenport work creates double track south of Steeles. It would likely also resolve the siding issue at the lumber yard north of King City that causes the "roadswitcher day" bustitutions.

We would have to hear about more track work at or north of Bradford to push 2WAD any further north or any more frequently than hourly. It's 12.5 miles from Aurora to Bradford, with two intermediate GO stations.....so without double track, hourly headways (30 minutes up, 30 minutes back) are as good as it gets. (Do I recall a procurement for some small project at Bradford, eg a passing siding?)

Personally I'm pleased to see ML procuring some of these projects outside of the Mother of all P3 procurement. The bidders on the latter can't be expected to take every and all risks and manage every and all bit of work on the GO network. Getting to a graded, ready for track right of way is a logical starting point for P3 bidders.

- Paul

Last edited:
It would be cool if there was a map showing the tracking of each go train line, whats single, double, triple, etc and what is being currently constructed, under construction, approved.

As well as color coded for Metrolinx, CN, CP etc.

^
This map provides the ownership and the amount of tracks in corridor: https://rac.jmaponline.net/canadianrailatlas/

I don't think there's a singular map that shows "currently constructed, under construction, approved".

The map @ShonTron posted a few pages back (see here) had the recently constructed layer for the Kitchener Line between Bramalea and Georgetown.

Yeah RAC is nice, but the way it shows the number of tracks is real sloppy. You have to zoom way it. Makes sense as its a to-scale map though. Also it not only doesnt show upcomimg construction but its out of date; it doesnt show any of the recent tracking on Barrie.

In fact, preliminary work on Mount Dennis has already started.

Dan
They have moved 2 of the 3 tracks to the north side of the row. There is also a slow order so most of the trains I've been on pass by the area at about 40km/hr.

Don't know if it was ever mentioned, but the total estimated construction value of the On Corridor works package is around $ 8- 9 billion.

Proponents who unveiled the plan May 30 at Toronto’s Exhibition Place noted the project would be Canada’s largest ever P3. Infrastructure Ontario has previously said the third-phase procurement could be worth $8- or $9 billion not including a 35-year operations period, which would be valued at billions more.

A little good news for the Kitchener Line. It's great to see concrete action is being take for expansion. Looks like Metrolinx is studying to see if the bridge over the river Speed will support a second track - the pylons are currently wide enough to support two tracks.

https://guelph.ca/2019/07/construct...street-and-elizabeth-street-starting-july-24/
Construction notice: Lane reductions on Macdonell Street and Elizabeth Street starting July 24

Between Wellington Street and Arthur Street
AECOM Canada will be conducting a geotechnical investigation, on behalf of Metrolinx, on Macdonell Street and Elizabeth Street. Work includes the drilling of boreholes.
Work begins July 24
Work is expected to begin on or about July 24, and take about two days to complete, weather permitting.
Lane reductions and delays expected
Macdonell Street and Elizabeth Street will undergo lane reductions during the project. Two way traffic will be maintained at all times. Please follow posted signs for safety. A full road closure is not expected, however, delays should be expected.
Pedestrian access
The sidewalks in this area will remain open and accessible during construction.
Property and business access and parking
All businesses in the construction area remain open and accessible throughout construction.
Every effort will be made to maintain access to driveways in the construction area during working hours (7 a.m.–7 p.m.). Construction activities and equipment movement may temporarily impact access to private property and delays should be expected.

Last edited:
^ML is doing some intensive maintenance on level crossings along the Kitchener line as well. This work has started and will continue into the fall.
As mundane as this work may sound, it will permit higher track speed, and that will eventually translate into faster timings.

- Paul

Confederation GO station (Hamilton/Stoney Creek).

Construction site pix

Appears to be:
- Bus loop complete
- Parking lot under construction
- Levelling for platforms/station building

D11BDFCF-DB4D-4B71-A7ED-55190328CA86.jpeg
E5AA2E10-DA04-42F4-84CA-2A9B0C326384.jpeg
68CF6A7D-E401-4F38-933E-946D3C20FAC6.jpeg
C7DFD262-410E-4B7C-BE1A-7B182FD30D1B.jpeg
F54FE245-0065-4742-BCE8-608A5C3B67C1.jpeg
08230939-A48D-4AF8-A0C8-B071DC368846.jpeg
9A276D11-1F50-4827-9F57-DFDC3776BE04.jpeg