News   Apr 18, 2024
 708     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.4K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

^That chart is very reassuring - pleased to see that the design has evolved - at this point I doubt they would divulge any design that CN hadn't seen or indicated comfort with. So I have to conclude that it reflects a potential announcement re agreement to proceed.

I'm also pleased to see that some of the existing trackage is shown as "GO Invested" as opposed to simply "CN Owned". That would further suggest that CN is not declaring sole ownership of those sections, and implies shared use over the long term. It's likely time to stop claiming that "CN is anti-GO".

It looks like the final span of the Credit River bridge is going to be built. That's a good thing.

The only puzzle for me is the track arrangement at Georgetown, which is a bit ambiguous as to how VIA will route, and is the third track being squeezed in between the depot and the existing double CN track. It looks like a route is being created to run west out of the Georgetown station back on the CN Halton line - that's a bit of a surprise. I suspect I'm reading the lines a bit too literally. The design at Georgetown has changed a couple of times on paper, it will be interesting to see the latest version.

Overall, it suggests CN is comfortable with GO as a long term two-way player on this route. We don't know if there is a limit to their commitment - ie a contractual upper limit to how many trains or what headways can be - but there appears to be enough track for a very meaningful 2WAD.

Can we just get this built, please?

- Paul

The only puzzle for me is the track arrangement at Georgetown, which is a bit ambiguous as to how VIA will route, and is the third track being squeezed in between the depot and the existing double CN track. It looks like a route is being created to run west out of the Georgetown station back on the CN Halton line - that's a bit of a surprise. I suspect I'm reading the lines a bit too literally. The design at Georgetown has changed a couple of times on paper, it will be interesting to see the latest version.

- Paul

The Georgetown part on the graphic @ShonTron posted from a Metrolinx presentation is indeed unclear. That's why I'm wondering if the 2015 graphics do a better job of communicating what they intend to do and the 2019 version just wasn't as specific/articulate as the 2015 ones.

The only puzzle for me is the track arrangement at Georgetown, which is a bit ambiguous as to how VIA will route, and is the third track being squeezed in between the depot and the existing double CN track.

- Paul

This was the location of the most-recent station siding, and if you go back further, the original location of the southern-most main line track. There's more than enough room to allow it to squeeze in there.

Dan

Georgetown in 2011
6552043209_a2033fda39_b.jpg

6552042355_24a8825a6c_b.jpg

6552108169_9b64ab7ee8_b.jpg

I noticed a few more trucks yesterday at Wade St and the Barrie Line (site of the legendary Davenport Flyover). It looked like the CP contracted crew, I'll check again, cycling past there in few minutes.
Indeed PNR, under contract to CP, for the Diamond. As is...I have some more info, but I'm loathe to divulge it, the super was good enough to tell me what he did. But let's say that what you see is what you're going be getting for some time at the Davenport Diamond.

Indeed PNR, under contract to CP, for the Diamond. As is...I have some more info, but I'm loathe to divulge it, the super was good enough to tell me what he did. But let's say that what you see is what you're going be getting for some time at the Davenport Diamond.
They're activating the new signals around the diamond this weekend. Buses will replace trains on the Barrie line on June 15-16.

This was the location of the most-recent station siding, and if you go back further, the original location of the southern-most main line track. There's more than enough room to allow it to squeeze in there.

Dan

Oh, I know it fits .... what I meant was, do they intend to put it back, or will the third track go on the north side?

The south side platform benefits from the extra platform width, but maybe there won't be a platform on the south side anymore. And I would hate for the fencing to get any worse at that location ;-)

- Paul

Oh, I know it fits .... what I meant was, do they intend to put it back, or will the third track go on the north side?

The south side platform benefits from the extra platform width, but maybe there won't be a platform on the south side anymore. And I would hate for the fencing to get any worse at that location ;-)

- Paul

The fencing shouldn't get any worse, thankfully. And that south-side platform will remain.

The new track arrangement is supposed to have all of the tracks from the west - the two off of the Halton and the one from the Guelph, continue eastbound without merging into two. The original plans had 2 tracks to the south of a new platform - yet to be built - and the third, continuing off the Guelph, on the north side of it. That appears to have changed with all three tracks now continuing to the south of the new platform.

But hopefully this also means that the construction of the new platform on the north side of the main lines is finally imminent. VIA has be loathe to use the current north-side platform because of the tunnel, but the new platform is supposed to come with a new tunnel as well which should ease their concerns.

Dan

But hopefully this also means that the construction of the new platform on the north side of the main lines is finally imminent. VIA has be loathe to use the current north-side platform because of the tunnel, but the new platform is supposed to come with a new tunnel as well which should ease their concerns.

I am guessing that means more accessibility features - ie elevators.

- Paul

Speaking of Georgetown, what was the reason for moving the bus stop to the north parking lot from the loop on the south? Was it the improved accessibility for train-bus connections? The route adds a few minutes compared to the old south side loop, which was a quick shot to Downtown Georgetown and Guelph Street.

I had business in Markham today, and while coming back I took some video of progress on the Stouffville line.

Most notable is that the hardware for a set of crossovers is staged around Progress Ave. That demarcates the North and Central zones of the project. Supposedly Milliken-Progress is to be put in service first, and Progress-Kennedy second. From my observation, there is a lot more to do north of Progress than south of it.

This first video starts at Milliken, heading southward. It shows that apart from some small bits north of McNicoll, the second track bed isn't anywhere near ready for laying track. Lots of water, some excavations still going on, and lots of fiber conduit that remains to be trenched, and much sound fencing to install. Plenty of progress on the tunnels at Agincourt (as there was at Milliken). One has to remember that after the second track is laid, it becomes the single main line while the "old" line is torn out and relaid with vibration matting and then fresh ballast and concrete ties. So really we aren't at the 50% track laid point yet.

The second video runs from Agincourt southwards. One can see that the bridgework over the creeks is just getting underway. Again, lots of second track needs to be laid, and then the existing track needs to be taken up and new track laid.

The third video is a short segment north of Kennedy, showing that the new second track is now being used as the main track while the old track is starting to be removed. The turnout at the interim end of the double track just north of Kennedy has been installed.

It's certainly a lot of progress over the past few months, but I wonder just how long it will be before either section can be put in service. I would bet that the two segments won't be operable as double track before next spring. The station work may take much of next year.

- Paul

Last edited:
Speaking of Georgetown, what was the reason for moving the bus stop to the north parking lot from the loop on the south? Was it the improved accessibility for train-bus connections? The route adds a few minutes compared to the old south side loop, which was a quick shot to Downtown Georgetown and Guelph Street.
Initially, IIRC, it was the repaving of Queen Street forced a detour, and that was 'to the other side' of the tracks. Why it stayed there is a good question. It does make it handier to access from the north, but convoluted from the south.

Dammit, from your video it seems like there were a few empty parking spots at Agincourt. I needed to get downtown for 1 p.m. Was going to take the 12:01 from Agincourt, but thought the lot would likely be full. Ended up missing the 12:08 from Kennedy because I couldn't find my way through the construction (brainfart).

I had business in Markham today, and while coming back I took some video of progress on the Stouffville line.

Most notable is that the hardware for a set of crossovers is staged around Progress Ave. That demarcates the North and Central zones of the project. Supposedly Milliken-Progress is to be put in service first, and Progress-Kennedy second. From my observation, there is a lot more to do north of Progress than south of it.

This first video starts at Milliken, heading southward. It shows that apart from some small bits north of McNicoll, the second track bed isn't anywhere near ready for laying track. Lots of water, some excavations still going on, and lots of fiber conduit that remains to be trenched, and much sound fencing to install. Plenty of progress on the tunnels at Agincourt (as there was at Milliken). One has to remember that after the second track is laid, it becomes the single main line while the "old" line is torn out and relaid with vibration matting and then fresh ballast and concrete ties. So really we aren't at the 50% track laid point yet.

The second video runs from Agincourt southwards. One can see that the bridgework over the creeks is just getting underway. Again, lots of second track needs to be laid, and then the existing track needs to be taken up and new track laid.

The third video is a short segment north of Kennedy, showing that the new second track is now being used as the main track while the old track is starting to be removed. The turnout at the interim end of the double track just north of Kennedy has been installed.

It's certainly a lot of progress over the past few months, but I wonder just how long it will be before either section can be put in service. I would bet that the two segments won't be operable as double track before next spring. The station work may take much of next year.

- Paul

Great video and observations, @crs1026

I'm curious about the Confederation GO station. Is the rail station opening this year, or is it just the bus loop? What is the service plan once Confederation opens.

I've done some googling, but only yielded a few articles in the past year.

Back