News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Does anyone know when we can expect trains running through this?

Can’t complete the 4th track westwards until Etobicoke North station has been moved to Woodbine.

Fourth track east of Islington to Nickle can’t be completed until Weston station is completed; east from Nickle, we ned Bloor Station finished and the Railpath shifted.

- Paul

Can’t complete the 4th track westwards until Etobicoke North station has been moved to Woodbine.

Fourth track east of Islington to Nickle can’t be completed until Weston station is completed; east from Nickle, we ned Bloor Station finished and the Railpath shifted.

- Paul

I assumed they would just demolish Etobicoke North and put the 4th track in prior to Woodbine being completed.

I assumed they would just demolish Etobicoke North and put the 4th track in prior to Woodbine being completed.

Somewhere (Town Hall maybe? ) I recall someone (Minister? Verster? MPP?) committing that Etobicoke North would remain open until Woodbine is ready, so folks up that way were not left without a GO station for a time. Pretty sure I didn’t dream that.

- Paul

The 4th track is in place at Etobicoke North now, but to service the warehouses where the old Sears warehouse used to be. If that is to remain as the 4th track, some grading has to to take place to either raise the track from the tunnel to the curb to the warehouse or lower that curb area as well adding a switch unless it will be come track 5.

There are 5 tracks west of the stations where CN drop cars and pickup cars once all inbound cars are place for who every getting new cars. The switchers does around using tracks 4 and 5 to swap cars for the warehouse. The 5 tracks go back to 4 where the plan Woodbine station is to be place.

Nomenclature will be interesting. Tracks are numbered from the north, with the current numbering being 1-3....so the new track which will be added to the north will in theory be Track 0. Some of the signals which were roughed in for a fourth track during GTS are already numbered that way. It will be interesting to see if ML renumbers the tracks to 1-4 or leaves them as 0-3. Since the numbering is tied to the signal system, which has numerous design drawings, equipment labels, etc. the renumbering is no small task and for safety reasons will have to be precisely executed.

The issue with Etobicoke North is that the platform (which serves Track 1 only) can only be accessed by walking across the industrial track that represents Track 0. So long as T0 is a service track, ie lightly used and protected by switching crews with a "stop before fouling" instruction, that's great. But in no way would it be possible for Track 0 to see higher speed passenger service while people are crossing it. Etobicoke North will have to be abandoned before the new tunnel can be put in service.

- Paul

Somewhere (Town Hall maybe? ) I recall someone (Minister? Verster? MPP?) committing that Etobicoke North would remain open until Woodbine is ready, so folks up that way were not left without a GO station for a time. Pretty sure I didn’t dream that.

- Paul

imo thats a really silly decision if having this tunnel can improve service to kitchener etc, considering they are saying that Etobicoke North is an underused station.

That being said I dont buy that this station has to be demolished, like Drum said there is a spur track that could be converted into the 4th track. I think they are just using this as an excuse to demolish a station thats underused.

But to allow that station to cause this expensive expansion project to go unused for 3+ years while Woodbine is built is ludicrous.

From Metrolinx.

Early Notice for prep work- Union Station Enhancement Project

Early geotechnical investigation work is scheduled along the southern most tracks at Union Station from 8 pm March 4 to 5 am March 8, 2021 inclusive.
Residents and workers in neighbouring buildings close to Scotia Plaza may experience noise and vibration. This work is necessary to support the Union
Station Enhancement Project involving a southern passenger concourse.

imo thats a really silly decision if having this tunnel can improve service to kitchener etc, considering they are saying that Etobicoke North is an underused station.

That being said I dont buy that this station has to be demolished, like Drum said there is a spur track that could be converted into the 4th track. I think they are just using this as an excuse to demolish a station thats underused.

But to allow that station to cause this expensive expansion project to go unused for 3+ years while Woodbine is built is ludicrous.

Service to Kitchener won’t improve until the sidings and related signalling are in place between Georgetown and Kitchener. Maybe that work will begin this spring, but I haven’t heard that the work has been tendered or awarded. Realistically, I wouldn’t expect that to be done before Fall 2022.

And then we will find out what level of increased service CN will allow between Georgetown and Bramalea.

Getting the tunnel done is a very big step forward, and I’m all for it. But the sequencing of work, and the funding, and the milestones, for all the prerequisite tasks for Kitchener service are yet to be determined. To this armchair observer, the tunnel is just one small step in a larger project.

- Paul

Service to Kitchener won’t improve until the sidings and related signalling are in place between Georgetown and Kitchener. Maybe that work will begin this spring, but I haven’t heard that the work has been tendered or awarded. Realistically, I wouldn’t expect that to be done before Fall 2022.

And then we will find out what level of increased service CN will allow between Georgetown and Bramalea.

Getting the tunnel done is a very big step forward, and I’m all for it. But the sequencing of work, and the funding, and the milestones, for all the prerequisite tasks for Kitchener service are yet to be determined. To this armchair observer, the tunnel is just one small step in a larger project.

- Paul

I dont expect Woodbine station to open before 2025 though. So that would delay the Kitchener Line expansions by almost 4 years past when other works are complete.

From Metrolinx.

Early Notice for prep work- Union Station Enhancement Project

Early geotechnical investigation work is scheduled along the southern most tracks at Union Station from 8 pm March 4 to 5 am March 8, 2021 inclusive.
Residents and workers in neighbouring buildings close to Scotia Plaza may experience noise and vibration. This work is necessary to support the Union
Station Enhancement Project involving a southern passenger concourse.
neighbouring buildings close to Scotia Plaza ? Really?

They must mean Scotiabank Arena.

They can't reasonably call anything in the area Scotia Plaza since that's the name of Scotiabank's HQ up on King.

Last edited:

- Paul
I mean, the tunnel should still bring in some incremental improvements (ie weekend service), right?

I dont expect Woodbine station to open before 2025 though. So that would delay the Kitchener Line expansions by almost 4 years past when other works are complete.
Metrolinx has 3 tracks to Bramalea and part of 4 to the block before Bramalea that will allow for more service for the KW line. The pinch point is the 3 tracks from Weston to the Woodbine area. Work around needs to happen for track 2 that is used for UPX northbound train to the airport. The other pinch point is from Mount Pleasant to Georgetown where the tracks become 2, with provision for a 3rd track bridge over the Credit River. Only need the the trackwork for the 3rd track to allow Metrolinx have access to one track all the time and having limit access to another when CN is not using it.

A 4th track could go over the Credit River, but requires pier widening.

Back