News   Jun 17, 2024
 215     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

First time I've heard about CN wanting to abandon the NFalls bridge. Do you have a link or an article?

CN seeks to abandon Niagara Falls Bridge
Published: February 29, 2012
NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. - Canadian National has filed a notice with Canadian
regulators to abandon its bridge between the United States and Canada at
Niagara Falls. CN spokesman Patrick Waldron told the Albany Times-Union it
no longer uses the bridge. Amtrak's New York-Toronto Maple Leaf service
still uses the bridge, and Amtrak spokesman Cliff Cole said that an
alternate route "would be very circuitous and impractical."

The 3,651-foot bridge over the Upper Niagara River opened on Nov. 3, 1873.
In February 1993, the bridge was closed temporarily because of structural
problems. Canadian National then spent $2 million to refurbish and reinforce
the piers on which the super structure rests.

Amtrak and VIA are in discussions with the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission
and CN on how to continue service across the bridge.
http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/Railway-seeks-to-abandon-Niagara-Falls-bridge-3368256.php

Its nice to see just how green the map has become over the years.

That's hard for me to say, the ford plant connects to the north end of Oakville yard. Since I don't work for CN and its not very visible from the mainline I can't see how often they switch it out. The only places that they seem to switch out daily that are right off the mainline are those two I mentioned. The other industries along the line seem to be switched out less frequently either that or they just switch them out in the middle of the night when GO trains aren't running and I'm at home sleeping in the comfort of my bed :cool:

The Ford plant is busy enough to require two daily crews to switch in the factory, as well as quite a few transfer jobs from Oakville Yard to Aldershot Yard. Then, there is the daily run down the Oakville Spur south of the tracks....

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

March 11
Sheppard Overpass.

The eastbound lanes could be open by the end of June or in July. I noticed the sidewalk under the bridge is going to have a roof of all things for a short section.
6976494417_289ed4e5f7_b.jpg

6830368674_5160b76aa8_b.jpg

6830367792_802b07ea48_b.jpg

drum118 you might enjoy this time lapse of a railway bridge being built:

[video]http://www.wimp.com/railtimelapse/[/video]

I noticed the sidewalk under the bridge is going to have a roof of all things for a short section.

It won't. That is the elevation of the floor of the sidewalk, not the elevation of a roof on the sidewalk. I imagine it is done that way because the retaining wall anchoring techniques used on the rest of the sidewalk can't be used where the bridge supports are.

So was this a level crossing before they decided to sent the road under the tracks? Where is this exactly?

So was this a level crossing before they decided to sent the road under the tracks? Where is this exactly?

It's Sheppard East and the Stouffville GO line. The funding is coming from the Sheppard LRT budget, but it's something they would have needed to do anyway to put in better service on the GO line.

It's pretty unexciting, but it looks like they're on bridge 3 of 3 for the Stouffville bridge replacement project.

Drum 118- thanks for the pic of this grade separation project on the GO Stouffville Line where it crosses Sheppard. Hope they grade seperate more of this line especially Danforth Rd (near Midland), Finch (where a woman unfortunately lost her life not too long ago) and Steeles (near Pacific Mall). These grade separtions not only make the trains more efficient, as well as the road traffic, they make these commuter rail services much safer for rail passengers as well as people on the buses and cars and pedestians/bikes also.

Drum 118- thanks for the pic of this grade separation project on the GO Stouffville Line where it crosses Sheppard. Hope they grade seperate more of this line especially Danforth Rd (near Midland), Finch (where a woman unfortunately lost her life not too long ago) and Steeles (near Pacific Mall). These grade separtions not only make the trains more efficient, as well as the road traffic, they make these commuter rail services much safer for rail passengers as well as people on the buses and cars and pedestians/bikes also.

A grade separation of the Steeles Ave. E. level crossing has been on the books since the late 1980s, and the EA was finished in 1994 or so. As usual, it's just a matter of finding the money to make it happen.

I assume that there are plans to do the same at Finch, but I've never seen reference to them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The Steeles/Kennedy (GO Line) grade separation is currently on the City of Toronto's books beginning in 2014 (500k); with the first major budget increment for 2015; and show's the project closing out in 2018 at total cost just over $20,000,000

There are no other rail to road grade separations in the 10-year capital plan that I can see.

The Steeles/Kennedy (GO Line) grade separation is currently on the City of Toronto's books beginning in 2014 (500k); with the first major budget increment for 2015; and show's the project closing out in 2018 at total cost just over $20,000,000.

That's great news! This would hopefully also allow for a pedestrian walkway that would connect the GO station to Pacific Mall and Market Village.

i live near milliken station, and im just curious, what exactly does grade separation mean? sorry for the amateur question.

Like a portion elevated over the road?

Back