News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Underwood?

Ugh. Yes. Underwood is correct.

^Letting a contract for design in 2019, and completion in 2023, doesn't fit in my definition of "quick wins". Of course, a lot of variables (electrification being one, the alignment of the fifth track being another) need to be confirmed before anything can happen.

- Paul

I can't believe that they need to redesign the alignment for the 5th track, as they've had a plan for it (and the reconfiguration of the plant at Fort York) for going on 10 years now.

But yes, I agree that completion of a project in 5 years when construction has been going on at that site for - what is it, 6 years thus far? - hardly constitutes a "quick win".

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I can't believe that they need to redesign the alignment for the 5th track, as they've had a plan for it (and the reconfiguration of the plant at Fort York) for going on 10 years now.

But yes, I agree that completion of a project in 5 years when construction has been going on at that site for - what is it, 6 years thus far? - hardly constitutes a "quick win".

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Which contract/RFQ/RFP is the 5th track tied to? The USRC West upgrades? Has it already been tendered and is this the reference the blog post makes to the end of 2019?

Which contract/RFQ/RFP is the 5th track tied to? The USRC West upgrades? Has it already been tendered and is this the reference the blog post makes to the end of 2019?

None, at this time.

The fifth track has been alluded to in several PIC's that I have attended, dealing with things like the Waterfront LRT, GO electrification, Park Lawn GO, and replacement of bridges on the Oakville Sub.

There was actually a fifth track in place up to the 1980's, dating from the use of yard trackage on the north side of the Oakville Sub, between Cabin E (Strachan) and Dufferin St. At some point - I forget when - it was removed. The most recent CTC installation has it roughed in, joining the No 1 mainline (the northmost track) at Dufferin.

More recently GO has expressed the need for a fifth track as far west as Willowbrook, in light of the congestion resulting from equipment moves to and from Willowbrook, which will encounter further conflicts when and if RER leads to more express moves along that corridor. Cosntruction would encroach on the pretty (?) landscaping west of Dunn Avenue, as a fairly ugly retaining wall would have to be built alongside King Street through Sunnyside. My impression is that the cumulative visual impact of electrification infrastructure, the retaining wall, and potential ramps should the Waterfront LRT be routed up to Sunnyside, gave ML pause. So it sits out there as an ugly to-be-raised-someday future need.

- Paul

I used to ride the Stouffville train halfways regularly and when the n/b train would blow for the 16th Ave. crossing a guy would regularly come out on his back deck and give a finger to the train. I get the desire for cessation in built-up areas, but the tracks were there long before the subdivision, so don't buy a house that backs on an active rail line if it bothers you.

I used to ride the Stouffville train halfways regularly and when the n/b train would blow for the 16th Ave. crossing a guy would regularly come out on his back deck and give a finger to the train. I get the desire for cessation in built-up areas, but the tracks were there long before the subdivision, so don't buy a house that backs on an active rail line if it bothers you.
It's stupid to build houses so close to the tracks

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

2023...over 11 years after it all started.

DQc-cxiVoAEL4lZ.jpg:large

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DQc_apVVoAI_FHb.jpg:large

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DQdAJgwUMAAkDOa.jpg:large

And just as recent as Dec 2017, a reply on Twitter from the Metrolinx account:
We're really sorry for the delayed response. The extended pedestrian tunnel and access building on the north side is almost completed. All that remains is the electrical/mechanical to commission the elevator. We are working to have this completed asap.

This is probably the most face palming thing in the whole report:
While there is currently a canopy and tunnel entrance building, the canopy’s columns, and the narrow pathway leading to and from the entrance, will constrain pedestrian flows. A new canopy designed to support a free and clear pedestrian throughway between the entrance and station plaza should be provided.

After 6 years of this thing going on, they will want to build a whole new canopy and entrance. Incredible.

2023...over 11 years after it all started.

DQc-cxiVoAEL4lZ.jpg:large

DQc_apVVoAI_FHb.jpg:large

DQdAJgwUMAAkDOa.jpg:large

And just as recent as Dec 2017, a reply on Twitter from the Metrolinx account:

This is probably the most face palming thing in the whole report:

After 6 years of this thing going on, they will want to build a whole new canopy and entrance. Incredible.
How could adding a third access/egress point (no matter how narrow that 3rd point is on its own) constrain pedestrian flow? No one is saying they should close the 2 current stairwells and rely on the new one.....open the new one in addition to the other two!

The fifth track has been alluded to in several PIC's that I have attended, dealing with things like the Waterfront LRT, GO electrification, Park Lawn GO, and replacement of bridges on the Oakville Sub.

There was actually a fifth track in place up to the 1980's, dating from the use of yard trackage on the north side of the Oakville Sub, between Cabin E (Strachan) and Dufferin St. At some point - I forget when - it was removed. The most recent CTC installation has it roughed in, joining the No 1 mainline (the northmost track) at Dufferin.

More recently GO has expressed the need for a fifth track as far west as Willowbrook, in light of the congestion resulting from equipment moves to and from Willowbrook, which will encounter further conflicts when and if RER leads to more express moves along that corridor. Cosntruction would encroach on the pretty (?) landscaping west of Dunn Avenue, as a fairly ugly retaining wall would have to be built alongside King Street through Sunnyside. My impression is that the cumulative visual impact of electrification infrastructure, the retaining wall, and potential ramps should the Waterfront LRT be routed up to Sunnyside, gave ML pause. So it sits out there as an ugly to-be-raised-someday future need.

- Paul

I'm not sure that I would consider the old yard to be much of a "5th track", as it wasn't signalized and didn't offer any platform access. Sure, it could be used as a bypass in a pinch, but not really for regular usage such as what GO is planning.

But indeed, if you look back far enough GO has envisioned a 5th track through there right back to some of the earliest electrification reports in the early-to-mid 1980s. They've long known that the stretch to Mimico will be a bottleneck when the trainsets are coming in and out of the yard. This has been on their radar for a very long time.

Still doesn't excuse their inactivity on the improvements, quick or not, to Exhibition however.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I dont defer blame away from this guy or defend him for his stupidity, but my friend worked in real estate in the 70's and 80's

They would tell people who were looking at a house near a rail line "Rail is dead, trains are dead, cars are the future. So this is a good investment. In 10 years they will rip up the tracks and you will have a nice walking path in your backyard. This property is cheap now but in 10 years with the rail line gone and a park in your backyard you will cash out huge."

Many people bought it, because yes, trains ridership was dwindling in the 70's and 80's.

Now these people are pissed because their investment as they see it didn't pay off. They were misled. Trains are back and getting more and more frequent.

I dont defer blame away from this guy or defend him for his stupidity, but my friend worked in real estate in the 70's and 80's

They would tell people who were looking at a house near a rail line "Rail is dead, trains are dead, cars are the future. So this is a good investment. In 10 years they will rip up the tracks and you will have a nice walking path in your backyard. This property is cheap now but in 10 years with the rail line gone and a park in your backyard you will cash out huge."

Many people bought it, because yes, trains ridership was dwindling in the 70's and 80's.

Now these people are pissed because their investment as they see it didn't pay off. They were misled. Trains are back and getting more and more frequent.
and with RER, trains are back on the corridor in a huge way.

In the 1980's the stouffille line probably averaged 3 trains a day. One GO train in and out in the morning rush hours, and MAYBE one freight train. Probably sat empty on weekends.

and with RER, trains are back on the corridor in a huge way.

In the 1980's the stouffille line probably averaged 3 trains a day. One GO train in and out in the morning rush hours, and MAYBE one freight train. Probably sat empty on weekends.

The people who are pushing the GO RER system need to make sure that people near the tracks are aware how much quieter and cleaner they will be than the current diesels.

And I also do think the horn blowing at intersections is ridiculous. Transport Canada needs leniency. If you arent stopped by a gate lowering and bells at the crossing, a whistle won't stop you.

RER should be slowly eliminating crossings too. Finch and Steeles are gone immediately as part of RER, and they are going to continue pushing forward with more separations on the stouffville line.

The problem with the stouffville line is that there are very few separated crossings, and almost all of them are going to be way, way above the typical level of conflict to need a separation once RER is done. With RER service levels, only the most minor at grade crossings should be remaining.. which certainly won't be the case with 8 at grade crossings south of Unionville, 16 south of Mount Joy.

Back