News   Apr 23, 2024
 107     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 352     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 981     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

It's the first phase of many for work in the Guelph area, and indeed along the whole of the Metrolinx-owned section of the Guelph Sub. The plan is that by the end of the end of the year that all temporary slow orders are eliminated, and that the PSO through the heart of Guelph is raised from 10mph to 30mph.

No, I don't believe that they've held any PICs or open houses on this, Paul. A mutual friend of ours is very unhappy with some of the ideas being suggested for this section of the line, and is planning on raising a stink about it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

What are some of the ideas? Able to share?

No PIC that im aware of.

Samllspy, what ideas is your mutual friend referring to? I live along the line too.

What are some of the ideas? Able to share?

One of the things being mooted - I don't yet if this is actual internal Metrolinx or elsewhere - is closing both of the level crossings at Glasgow and Dublin. Apparently both are used by a fair number of schoolchildren on their way to and from a local school, although admittedly the only school I know of nearby is Guelph Collegiate several blocks to the north.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

One of the things being mooted - I don't yet if this is actual internal Metrolinx or elsewhere - is closing both of the level crossings at Glasgow and Dublin. Apparently both are used by a fair number of schoolchildren on their way to and from a local school, although admittedly the only school I know of nearby is Guelph Collegiate several blocks to the north.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Ahh that'd be in reference to St. Stans and John Bosco - those are right beside the Basilica. GCVI is further away but I suppose it could be an issue too.

Also the city just removed the Northumberland Street walkway across Norfolk while they build a parkade. So that'd reduce the options even further for people coming from south of the tracks.

No, I don't believe that they've held any PICs or open houses on this, Paul. A mutual friend of ours is very unhappy with some of the ideas being suggested for this section of the line, and is planning on raising a stink about it.

How typically Metrolinx. The more controversial the plan, the more inclined they are to hatch it in secrecy and try to bull it through.

I don’t have an informed opinion of what the end solution should look like, but I know enough to know that any solution will be touchy in that community, given that the rail line splits that part of town in two. The right thing to do is get out and talk to people *before* there is blowback. “No surprises” is the cardinal rule of community relations.

I have certainly noticed lots of young people crossing in that area, not so much as school commuters but just going places (such as downtown). The line is so sleepy at present that many folks, especially adolescents (who at that age love the informality of it all and are a bit oppositional to ‘rules’), treat the tracks as a short cut to wherever. Walls and/or fences may help but GO needs to get out with very direct and focussed information to residents.

- Paul

In the spirit of "I can see the difference, can you see the difference?" - here are shots from the last year and today showing what work has been done on the approach to Hamilton.

At Bayview, the track has been shifted into its (hopefully) "final" configuration, making room for the third track to the north. One set of crossovers has been installed. There is a new signal bungalow next to the old one. The next step would be to add the switch to the new track, and lay the new track down to Hamilton Jct.

As for Hamilton Jct, there is virtually no change in a year, except that the new track has been completed all the way from West Harbour. The underground ductwork for signalling is in place, as are the new signals, but I see no staging of crossovers or track materiel. That suggests that changes there are not imminent.

It's not exactly blinding progress, but at least there are CN workers on hand doing stuff.

- Paul

20170717 Bayview.jpg

20180426 Bayview.jpg
20170417 Ham Jct.jpg
20180426 Ham Jct.jpg

Attachments

• 20170417 Ham Jct.jpg
    20170417 Ham Jct.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 433
  • 20180426 Ham Jct.jpg
    20180426 Ham Jct.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 448
  • 20170717 Bayview.jpg
    20170717 Bayview.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 415
  • 20180426 Bayview.jpg
    20180426 Bayview.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 428
And since I know someone will ask ;-), here's the thing about that much-needed track switch at West Harbour, leading to Niagara. Notice the manhole covers and a very interesting pipe (the old standpipe from the days of watering steam engines, I wonder?). And note the many orange stakes indicating buried cabling, and the various utility wells and boxes. There is lots of stuff down there in the ground that would have to be removed to extend the track further west. Doable, yes.... but there is no sign of any activity towards that goal.

- Paul

IMG_4536.JPG
IMG_4537.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4536.JPG
    IMG_4536.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_4537.JPG
    IMG_4537.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
And since I know someone will ask ;-), here's the thing about that much-needed track switch at West Harbour, leading to Niagara. Notice the manhole covers and a very interesting pipe (the old standpipe from the days of watering steam engines, I wonder?). And note the many orange stakes indicating buried cabling, and the various utility wells and boxes. There is lots of stuff down there in the ground that would have to be removed to extend the track further west. Doable, yes.... but no sign of any activity towards that goal.

- Paul

You are dealing with CN and only have to look how long its taking them to get the 3rd track in to the west.

Getting new tracks and switches to the east will happen on CN time and should be in place for 2019 for GO new service to the east/Niagara.

They have being relocating cable on the north side tracks by the station based on my last visited.

Got to remove a lot of existing service for the old CN station first.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Relinking to some Guelph Junction pictures as part of my previous post.

Of all lines to commit to getting to RER standards aren't Barrie LSW, LSE, and Stouffville all easier than Kitchener though?

Absolutely yes. The issue is that ML started Kitchener first (via GTS). They have been tinkering away with the low-hanging fruit, but the most challenging and longest lead time bits aren't getting much traction yet, after all this time. And while supposedly RER is all going to be let out as a giant DFBOM contract, these smaller contracts like the Guelph improvements pop up out of nowhere.

(I'm actually happy to see that, and it does sound like ML does have some internal project expertise assigned to this line....but.... it's hard to follow the plan. )

The other problem is that we don't really know what the spec is. Fifteen minute 2WAD is only to Mount Pleasant, but what Kitchener service will look like is a bit murky. Some clarity would be a start.

- Paul

Back