News   Jul 05, 2024
 878     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 517     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I had some time to wait for my bus and had a seat on the new GO station chairs. There's not a whole lot I would comment about them other than they are a huge improvement over the old hulking steel ones. But as usual it's the smaller details that catches my eyes. In this case it was the made in Germany sticker. Now, I'm not the one to complain about modern furnishings but was it really necessary to purchase German chairs?

IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2598.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2597.JPG
    IMG_2597.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_2598.JPG
    IMG_2598.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 366
I had some time to wait for my bus and had a seat on the new GO station chairs. There's not a whole lot I would comment about them other than they are a huge improvement over the old hulking steel ones. But as usual it's the smaller details that catches my eyes. In this case it was the made in Germany sticker. Now, I'm not the one to complain about modern furnishings but was it really necessary to purchase German chairs?
They may have been the best to be had for the contract.
The CETA Train is Leaving the Station
The secret trade that comes into effect this month will leave Canadians breathless.

By Judith Stapleton

As of September 21, 2017, the Canadian-EU Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement will be in effect, and few Canadians are prepared for the new landscape as the country’s sovereignty over its money, water, environmental rights, labour rights, human rights, resources, products, legislation and practice at all levels of government, is donated to the European Union.

Since the negotiations have been secret, in spite of the claims of democratic transparency, it is hard to even imagine what benefit Prime Minister Trudeau got in exchange—perhaps a lifetime Euro-Rail pass? [...]
https://clearlifemagazine.com/the-ceta-train-is-leaving-the-station/

We certainly build excellent rants in this nation...seems no-one's buying them though...

I suggest Ms Stapleton to have a little more foresight as to how dependent we are on open borders for trade, but alas. "Trump" is a difficult word to pronounce for some. Gets stuck in the throat. Like "Jina" (China)

They may have been the best to be had for the contract.

https://clearlifemagazine.com/the-ceta-train-is-leaving-the-station/

We certainly build excellent rants in this nation...seems no-one's buying them though...

I suggest Ms Stapleton to have a little more foresight as to how dependent we are on open borders for trade, but alas. "Trump" is a difficult word to pronounce for some. Gets stuck in the throat. Like "Jina" (China)
If they are the best for the contract then that's fine. I only brought it up as it was a interesting find. Only the best will do for Metrolinx's well dressed, well-to-do and mannered passengers...customers.

Last edited:
If they are the best for the contract then that's fine. I only brought it up as it was a interesting find.
It is an interesting find, apologies if I was brusque.
but was it really necessary to purchase German chairs?
I presume they submitted a winning bid. They are excellent products. The Germanics have a fetish for producing furniture of this nature. (Swedish, Austrian, German, etc)

@steveintoronto Speaking of Sweden, my experience with Ikea over the last few years has been meh - their stuff seems to be getting worse. Am I the only one?

@steveintoronto Speaking of Sweden, my experience with Ikea over the last few years has been meh - their stuff seems to be getting worse. Am I the only one?
Ikea isn't quality made endurable commercial furniture. Most of Ikea's North Am stock is Chinese made. And nothing against the Chinese, given a reasonable price level, some of their products are excellent, but Ikea is consumer grade now with few exceptions.

You want quality? Pay for it.
https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/swedish-furniture-thats-not-ik-150305

Was the rant built using DBOFM, or sole-source rant?

Some of the rants are quite beautiful cathedrals around here, with a lot of funding, but there's been so many cheaped-out rants too, and a lot of delayed rants.

At the end of the day, as long as there's enough ranting to go around, and that the rants are frequent all-day 2-way rants in all the right areas.

Last edited:
Ok good, I'm not the only one.
Was the rant built using DBOFM, or sole-source contract?

Some of the rants are quite beautiful cathedrals around here, with a lot of funding, but there's been so many cheaped-out rants too, and a lot of delayed rants.

At the end of the day, as long as there's enough ranting to go around, and that the rants are frequent all-day 2-way in all the right areas.
I'll gRant you that!

My wife and I moved to a house from a 1 bedroom condo a few years ago, and furnished it almost exclusively with Ikea. We've had zero issues with anything so far, but we're also those crazy people that use wood glue on all of the pegs so that it doesn't ever come apart again...

Again it shows how easily we got off a topic on this forum. To add to that I would like to say those shaky Presto farw gates are made in Germany as well.

My wife and I moved to a house from a 1 bedroom condo a few years ago, and furnished it almost exclusively with Ikea. We've had zero issues with anything so far, but we're also those crazy people that use wood glue on all of the pegs so that it doesn't ever come apart again...

Ah, I should have done that.

Back