News   Apr 25, 2024
 626     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 519     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 765     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

It will involve a mix of trains. Peak service will mostly run with the existing BiLevel coaches pulled by electric locomotives, with off-peak/counter-peak mostly run by 4/8/12 car EMUs. Some service will not be electrified and will require use of the existing bilevels with diesel locomotives.
It's my understanding that EMUs will only run to Bramalea/Aurora/Stoufville.

The plan is for peak & longer hauls will still be served by electric-loco or dual-mode driven Bombardier BiLevels.

It's my understanding that EMUs will only run to Bramalea/Aurora/Stoufville.

The plan is for peak & longer hauls will still be served by electric-loco or dual-mode driven Bombardier BiLevels.
Yes. It will be a EMU system to Aurora/Bramalea/Unionville. Mt Pleasant/Barrie/Mt Joy will still get bi levels, hopefully Milton and Richmond Hill do too.

Oshawa and Burlington also will get EMUs I believe and Hamilton (all day service) and bowmanville (express -rush hour) will maintain bi levels.

Why don't they just put up some asphalt and call it a day? How dare they think about building these substantial stations?

Oshawa and Burlington also will get EMUs I believe and Hamilton (all day service) and bowmanville (express -rush hour) will maintain bi levels.
Not at first. Bramalea/Aurora/Stoufville is supposed to get them first, due to stop spacing.

One of the appendixes for the RER Business Plan documents proposed the use of electric-loco driven BiLevels on the Lakeshore Line for 15-min RER. This was the $13.5bn "Optimized" plan, not the $19bn "Full" plan.

...Though things could change in a hurry, depending on political winds.

yep...i get that...but all of those renders show bilevels with diesel locomotives....I just find it funny.

I think that because they haven't 100% secured a contract with a manufacturer for EMU's or gotten 100% approval to even run non-fra EMUs they don't want to put the cart before the horse.

Doesn't stop the Ontario government from using graphics of EMUs in their pressers.
They could always buy FRA-compliant EMUs. They just don't know the exact model yet, for obvious reasons.

Besides, its just that, a marketing item. Most people don't care about what the train is exactly, as long as it's a train that comes every 15 minutes. The graphics are clearly just illustrative.

It's sort of like advertising increased garbage pickup days or something, and showing a graphic of a garbage truck that is not the exact kind the city actually uses. Its not the point of the presser to announce a new garbage truck, the picture is there simply to illustrate the topic at hand.

It's sort of like advertising increased garbage pickup days or something, and showing a graphic of a garbage truck that is not the exact kind the city actually uses. Its not the point of the presser to announce a new garbage truck, the picture is there simply to illustrate the topic at hand.
Yes, marketing.

Except it is a pictogram one of the actual EMU candidates, the Stadler KISS which is also already mentioned in some Metrolinx documents, including graphs, showing as a typical EMU for cost projections. That's much more elaborate/planned than the garbage truck clipart.

Stadler KISS, used in the pictograms, is now available under the FRA Alternative Rules, and will be used by Caltrain during their electrification.

Last edited:

Back