News   May 29, 2020
 3.2K     7 
News   May 29, 2020
 492     0 
News   May 29, 2020
 552     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

muller877

Member Bio
Reaction score
Interesting, especially the comment that each station should be distinctive as an entry to the local community.

This review panel is a Vaughan civic entity. Is there a similar panel that would be the logical point of consultation in the City of Toronto's area? I'm wondering how the process for upcoming Toronto stations (Liberty, Davenport, St Clair, etc) will proceed.

- Paul
Panelists who are all architects want more spent on each station in architectural fees. No conflict of interest here!

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Panelists who are all architects want more spent on each station in architectural fees. No conflict of interest here!
It's advisory, and how much to spend is ultimately a decision by Metrolinx. If you want a conflict of interest, I'd start off with the high priced engineering consultants that the org loves to use.

AoD

Adjei

Member Bio
Reaction score
Interesting, especially the comment that each station should be distinctive as an entry to the local community.

This review panel is a Vaughan civic entity. Is there a similar panel that would be the logical point of consultation in the City of Toronto's area? I'm wondering how the process for upcoming Toronto stations (Liberty, Davenport, St Clair, etc) will proceed.

- Paul
Doesn't the City of Toronto also have a Design Review Panel?

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
I saw a posting that the new south entrance to the Burlington GO Station is now open (sorry for how big the pictures are. Can't figure out how to make them smaller).

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
There is 2 south entrance and this is for the west entrance using the bus driveway on the east side as shown on the map.

When I was there early Feb, they were working on the missing 20 feet section between Fairview and the finish entrance driveway for both the driveway and the 2 sidewalks.

The loop is complete, except the flashing for the walkway overhead and the east entrance. Concrete sidewalk had to be pour for the east entrance as well the roof still had to be put on.

It happen I was looking for some photos for 2013 and came upon photos of the new station in early construction stage for Nov that was already a year into construction.

I guess the elevators are still not in operation that were install in Aug 2016. What use is the accessibly parking spots on the south side when there is no elevators for them?

alexanderglista

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some pictures of rail that was pulled (edit: meant pulled as in laid beside existing track) on the Metrolinx Canpa sub. From the quick peak I took at Evans Ave, doesn't look like much upgrade work has taken place besides this yet. I am interested to see when Metrolinx will officially say what this is for (I know there have been two ideas on this thread: LSW detours, and Milton Line service south on LSW which would require much more work than the scope of this project).

Last edited:

Allandale25

Member Bio
Reaction score
Some pictures of rail that was pulled on the Metrolinx Canpa sub. From the quick peak I took at Evans Ave, doesn't look like much upgrade work has taken place besides this yet.
I could be wrong but I think it's actually the other way around: the new rail is ribbon rail and lying to the side of the still in place jointed rail. So, I don't think anything has been pulled yet.

alexanderglista

Member Bio
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think it's actually the other way around: the new rail is ribbon rail and lying to the side of the still in place jointed rail. So, I don't think anything has been pulled yet.
Yes, nothing has been installed - I was under the assumption that "pulled" literally meant pulled beside the existing track awaiting installation. My bad for the terminology mix up.

steveintoronto

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
That's intriguing that they'd be laying welded rail. It makes sense they have long-term plans, but must also have serious short-term ones too to be laying welded track now since the present joined rail looks in quite usable shape. Looks like ribbons on the other side of the east track too...

So one has to ask: If they're installing welded track at this time, does this indicate some imminent use beyond stock movement and building a bridge at Evans?

alexanderglista

Member Bio
Reaction score
That's intriguing that they'd be laying welded rail. It makes sense they have long-term plans, but must also have serious short-term ones too to be laying welded track now since the present joined rail looks in quite usable shape. Looks like ribbons on the other side of the east track too...

So one has to ask: If they're installing welded track at this time, does this indicate some imminent use beyond stock movement and building a bridge at Evans?
So a few theories that have popped up on this thread are:

1) Canpa will be used to divert LSW GO trains during bridge replacements closer to Exhibition Station (probably most likely?)
2) With more construction required at both ends of Canpa, Milton GO trains could be diverted via the LSW line (however this theory seemed to be debunked a few pages back)
3) (my own idea, which I really don't believe in whatsoever at all, but I'll say it for the sake of saying it) Metrolinx could use this for a test track for their LRV order from Bombardier. A point in Bombardier's filing against Metrolinx was that they had no place to test their LRVs if they were delivered. However this theory is EXTREMELY flawed as:
  • The line is not electrified and would require an EA to do so
  • The line sees heavy rail traffic, thus it precludes light rail operating on it (unless temporal separation happened)
  • The line isn't connected to any future LRT lines

steveintoronto

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
3) (my own idea, which I really don't believe in whatsoever at all, but I'll say it for the sake of saying it) Metrolinx could use this for a test track for their LRV order from Bombardier. A point in Bombardier's filing against Metrolinx was that they had no place to test their LRVs if they were delivered. However this theory is EXTREMELY flawed as:
  • The line is not electrified and would require an EA to do so
  • The line sees heavy rail traffic, thus it precludes light rail operating on it (unless temporal separation happened)
  • The line isn't connected to any future LRT lines
You're right, that does sound far-fetched, or would in normal circumstances...but the situation for Metrolinx right now is abject in terms of asking for more time before the court injunction case to test the vehicles to make good their legal argument. For test purposes, albeit far from ideal, the LRVs can run for a few minutes off their own batteries, and if they then use additional batteries as weight ballast to emulate a passenger load, they can extend that considerably.

So assumed they intended to lay down ribbon track anyway at some point before the 'detour' corridor, then why not do it now and stone two birds with one kill? I note the crossings are already fully barrier protected as well as lights. If the switches at either end of the corridor are locked off, I can't see why TC wouldn't grant a temporary waiver to test, especially if the track is being replaced anyway.

Your idea is abstract, but it may not be that far-fetched. The only other independent (from BBD) electric catenary facility near Toronto to test at would be Rockwood, (and the gauge is TTC, not standard) and getting to there on a flat-bed all in one piece would be beyond a challenge.

Interesting....

Last edited:

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
Don't suppose anyone noted the weight of the new/old rail?

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it doesn't look like it's more than about 115 lb, same as the old rail. That would suggest it's intended for something less than heavy duty service. ie deadheads and some occasional detours - but not wholescale rerouting of anything.

- Paul