News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.2K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 577     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Here's why Metrolinx have to tread very carefully on this. They face a PR problem no matter what they do, so best they get it right. From one of their reports:
upload_2017-2-7_14-40-57.png

http://www.gotransit.com/electrification/en/project_history/Appendix Files/Appendix 8D.pdf

It doesn't take a leap of faith to realize that their own passengers are the *most immediate* cause for concern.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-7_14-40-57.png
    upload_2017-2-7_14-40-57.png
    130.7 KB · Views: 284
I pity the ML intern who gets handed the tape measure with instructions to drop by the Museum and take measurements for the traditional solution.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 2.49.40 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 2.49.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 2.49.40 PM.png
    326.7 KB · Views: 330
I pity the ML intern who gets handed the tape measure with instructions to drop by the Museum and take measurements for the traditional solution
No more far-fetched than the Hydrogen proposal!

Anyone remember this?
All aboard the GO hydrogen express

Now that the provincial Liberals have secured another four years in office, it's fair to ask whether Premier Dalton McGuinty's recent talk of locally manufactured, hydrogen-powered GO trains was just election rhetoric or a serious, forward-looking strategy to nurture innovation and create jobs.

By Tyler HamiltonEnergy and Technology Columnist
Sun., Oct. 21, 2007
Now that the provincial Liberals have secured another four years in office, it's fair to ask whether Premier Dalton McGuinty's recent talk of locally manufactured, hydrogen-powered GO trains was just election rhetoric or a serious, forward-looking strategy to nurture innovation and create jobs.

McGuinty revealed last month that his government was in early-stage talks with Bombardier to design and develop an emission-free commuter train propelled by hydrogen-powered fuel cells and used by GO Transit.

"It's our goal to get a prototype on the rails here in Ontario within three years of the project launch," McGuinty announced during a visit to a Bombardier manufacturing plant in Thunder Bay.

The idea, while ambitious, carries a certain attraction. Job creation. Export potential. There's also the vision of clean trains being showcased to the world as they run through Canada's largest city.

But for every wide-eyed person in the room who got giddy at the thought of building a hydrogen economy in southern Ontario, there were also skeptics in the crowd who dismissed such a vision as political theatre.

After all, we've been here before with promises of hydrogen-powered cars (see "The Hype" below).

We don't have affordable, mass-produced hydrogen cars on the road today, but from an industrial perspective hydrogen is a $282 billion global market. The world relies heavily on hydrogen for fertilizer production, fuel upgrading, food processing and a number of other applications where demand for the zero-emission gas is growing. [...]
https://www.thestar.com/business/2007/10/21/all_aboard_the_go_hydrogen_express.html

More here:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...o-hydrogen-fuelled-go-trains/article18145484/

The topic is actually covered in the Metrolinx report I linked prior post.

Edit to Add: The topic has hit CTV and CBC:
New
Ride the GO train? You could be breathing in diesel fumes, researchers say
University of Toronto study finds elevated levels of certain airborne pollutants in train cars
By Lauren Pelley, CBC News Posted: Feb 07, 2017 2:39 PM ET Last Updated: Feb 07, 2017 2:44 PM ET
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/diesel-train-research-1.3970116

Commuter train passengers may be exposed to high levels of diesel exhaust

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/commut...ed-to-high-levels-of-diesel-exhaust-1.3274813

Last edited:
Since it all points to the need for electrification, what thread would be more appropriate?
The researchers proposed a long-term solution of electrifying commuter trains instead of using diesel locomotives as well as adopting emissions-friendly Tier 4 engines to help achieve better air quality.

Although Metrolinx already has an electrification plan for the majority of its train network, it will be years before the project is completed.

Chris Drew blocked me on twitter for some reason when I first got an account.. no idea why, as far as I know I just followed him and I was blocked. Its frustrating since he often posts interesting things and I need to log out to view them.

whats the status of double tracking Barrie/Stouffville?

Havent heard or seen anything in a while.

Considering how long its taking them to double track these things, I am not hopeful for full electrification by 2024

whats the status of double tracking Barrie/Stouffville?

Havent heard or seen anything in a while.

Considering how long its taking them to double track these things, I am not hopeful for full electrification by 2024

At the November open houses, ML was saying electrification in 2025. The TPAP approval isn't expected until later this year.

For the Barrie side - The only actual construction that I'm aware of is the York U - Rutherford double tracking, which will likely open this year, and the bridge widening and track rearrangement south of Dufferin St. Nothing tendered for the Davenport overpass or to extend double track from Queen to York U. The Sheppard Ave Bridge will need widening before that can happen. The TPAP for double track to Barrie isn't supposed to be completed until later this year.
Another document from the November Open Houses clarified that "Phase I", which is the ten year goal, is double track only to Aurora.

For the Stouffville side - again, "Phase I" track construction is only between Milliken and Agincourt, likely to be done this year. "Phase II" from Agincourt to Scarboro Jct was supposed to begin construction this year, but I don't know if it has been tendered yet.

I have been told that there is a big push on at ML to get the Barrie piece moving faster, don't know if that applies to Uxbridge also.

- Paul

Uxbridge? do you mean train service to the town or just the sub?

I always understood that the Barrie line was to be double tracked all the way to Barrie for RER, but they could probably get away with passing tracks to provide the hourly service they are proposing.

The last board meeting mentioned that there are a ton of big contracts expected to be issued this year. Davenport Diamond, Barrie double tracking, Stouffville double tracking, grade seperations along Lakeshore, etc.

Construction should really start to ramp up towards the end of this year, especially into 2018 when they have a lot of the grade separations going.

I expect electrification construction work won't begin until 2019 or so. The initial line, Lakeshore, isn't supposed to be electrified until 2022.

The next Metrolinx board meeting is February 17th, so expect some updates then.

The last board meeting mentioned that there are a ton of big contracts expected to be issued this year. Davenport Diamond, Barrie double tracking, Stouffville double tracking, grade seperations along Lakeshore, etc.

I went back and reread that presentation. The 'enabling works' items are targeted for completion by 2020. Four are in procurement but 13 will be awarded over the next year. The Barrie EA is mentioned in this category, but the track expansion isn't specifically mentioned. Clearly a lot of work is about to be undertaken, but ML is very vague on what's on the list.

Beyond that, the next set of tenders isn't to be awarded until 2019. It appears Bowmanville, Niagara, Kitchener, and the Bypass aren't on the Enabling list so this would include them.

Guess we will wait and see.

- Paul

Back