News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 1.2K     12 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 567     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Are the tracks owned by Metrolinx or the TTR (Toronto Terminals Railway). Though I'm not actually sure who owns TTR these days.

Either way, surely it is TTR doing the work here, whether they own anything or not.

According to their Linkedin page TTR is still jointly owned by CN and CP.

- Paul

Edit to Add: On the 'Ikea style' as per Rejohn...I may have misled on that. I think the *potential* for disassembly might be there, I'd love to read an engineering description of whether that's a moot point or not, and the real thinking nowadays as to using bolt construction instead of rivets. Safety of assembly is obviously a huge one, but there might also be stress factors far better addressed at unions with washer and bolt construction. It may be the case that they *aren't* able to be disassembled, yet one more intriguing aspect of this bridge. What is beautiful to anyone who's done metal work assembly, even chassis work, is the flat head hex socket bolt use and chamfered hole assembly. (From the best visual I can get, they used 90 degrees)
Still looking to find out more about the specifics of this bridge, and if GO are using this design elsewhere. It might in fact be a standard proprietary design adapted for custom dimensions, but here's a reference to the disappearance of rivet construction and why...lol...and I guess I haven't been taking notice of this for the last few decades: (Note that Sweden is an interesting example, and their quality of steel is still the standard for some grades to this day)

upload_2017-2-1_10-48-50.png

upload_2017-2-1_11-6-49.png

upload_2017-2-1_11-2-15.png
https://books.google.ca/books?id=JNfKBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=bridge+construction+rivets+no+longer+used&source=bl&ots=xC9juWJ5DG&sig=50weEFN0NtExC_fgvePO2ys3NRI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjKoISCnu_RAhWp6IMKHQHjCDUQ6AEINjAE#v=onepage&q=bridge construction rivets no longer used&f=false

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-1_10-48-50.png
    upload_2017-2-1_10-48-50.png
    286.8 KB · Views: 295
  • upload_2017-2-1_11-2-15.png
    upload_2017-2-1_11-2-15.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 253
  • upload_2017-2-1_11-6-49.png
    upload_2017-2-1_11-6-49.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
The former Toronto Terminals Railway trackage is now known as the Union Station Rail Corridor (USRC) and the Railway is contracted by GO Transit to operate and maintain the train shed and USRC. TTR does not own property anymore; it has become a contracted management group who provides employees to maintain and operate the rail system on behalf of GO Transit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Station_(Toronto)

Great shots! Many thanks for that Drum. Very interesting study in bridge construction. I can (just barely) see that they are using similar if not same bolt heads for the walkway and upper flanges as used on the new Bloor bridge. I'm now dying to see a view from underneath. They *may* have used to similar sections on the shorter spans each end as used at Bloor, albeit it looks like concrete encasing of the beams.

It might be nit-picking, but I hope they paint the centre span steel. They have at the ends, why they didn't for the rest is a good question. Weathered steel is becoming the 'rage' but to my eye, it looks awful. 'Rust Belt Modern'.

All the more reason now for Hamilton to be my first Spring cycle destination, I'm aging, and have to start off the season with just 50km treks, and Hamilton offers some great loops on railtrails and bike paths....got to get a closer look at that structure!

Last edited:
Feb 02
More up on site
Someone needs to check the detection system for Oakville parking structure. as its showing wrong empty spot, green light for empty spot that has cars in them, no red lights for park cars. Sign said X empty spots, but counted almost double on a few levels on my way up to P6.

The west end of the communication build main floor slab is still not pour and preventing the last bay of steel to be erected. There is a section on the east end that missing the slab and can't complete the steel erection.

Some real meat cross bracing in various location. The elevator is in the south east corner with a walkway to it from the main building. Small section of railing in place for the stair to the elevator at ground level.

By the looks of things, brick wall going up on the north side in front of the parking structure, as scaffolding in place for the the brickies. You can see the brackets on the columns to hold the dove anchors for the brick and can be seen on photo 3 below.
32523130752_a3e927d88c_b.jpg

32523133172_eb4b4350c0_b.jpg

32635300726_139221e56c_b.jpg

32553808771_df756d83cc_b.jpg

31863684333_62f8791c35_b.jpg

32675968355_f2d5a68064_b.jpg

31863705093_5c98615592_b.jpg

32675978925_424d48aaf0_b.jpg

Feb 02
More up on site.
A few surprise were seen since I was last there 7 weeks ago, as well the time of the year.

Crew working on the section of the driveway to the transit loop preparing it for concrete and sidewalk that was never finish when the loop was built.

75% of the east walkway has been pour with the rest to be pour at the new east entrance.

Red material is on top the roof plywood and never seen this before. Not sure if its temporary protection for the winter or new material.

Glass partition wall installed between the waiting area and fare booth, but missing doors.

2 of the 4 doors out of service with out of service signs on them as well pylon on both side of them.

Elevators still not working after 5 months of going in.

Wall tiles going up in the stair well from the main level to the ceiling with 3 light areas for adds.

Come summer, this station should be 100% complete finally after 4 years with the project next door putting this project to shame.
32676078285_c4738618cf_b.jpg

31863880463_c984464d10_b.jpg

32676117845_842ce1dc77_b.jpg

32297063620_4805db9bc9_b.jpg

32297069860_a6b0fc9a84_b.jpg

32635525166_39abe4f0ca_b.jpg

32297082810_e4c5bb099b_b.jpg

32297090290_a1314a0021_b.jpg

32676161975_47f2ea264e_b.jpg

Looking at Google Earth there really is no need for a crossing there... They should just close it.

Looking at Google Earth there really is no need for a crossing there... They should just close it.
You think the bitching was bad in the early 2000's when the EA took place to add a 2nd track here as well close off a street, it would be 10 times worse today if proposed.

I fully agree to closing off the roads due to layout, but need a walkway tunnel for the plan 3 tracks there. It should had been close in the early 2000's. Where is Metrolinx in this mess since they run trains here with more to come? They want to eliminate grade crossing in the first place.

I haven't fully read the stories regarding above, but have yet to see this mentioned, the Feds will pay half:
http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/R-4/page-1.html#h-3
Railway Relocation and Crossing Act
[...]
PART I Joint Urban Development and Transportation Plans
[...]
R.S.C., 1985, c. R-4

Part of urban area
(2) The Agency may receive an application in respect of a transportation study area that includes only a part of an urban area if the Agency is satisfied that the accepted plan materially affects only those municipalities located wholly or in part in the transportation study area to which the accepted plan relates.

• Marginal note:Financial assistance
    (3) Subject to subsection (4) and to such regulations as the Governor in Council may make in that behalf,
    • (a) the Minister of Transport may authorize the payment, out of moneys appropriated by Parliament therefor, of part of the cost of preparing such one or more transportation plans in respect of a transportation study area as are desirable to consider for the transportation study area; and

• (b) the Minister of Transport may authorize the payment, out of moneys appropriated by Parliament therefor, of part of the cost of preparing such one or more urban development plans in respect of a transportation study area as are desirable to consider for the transportation study area.
  • Marginal note:Limitation
    (4) Not more than fifty per cent of the amount of the cost of preparing urban development plans and transportation plans described in subsection (3) may be authorized for payment under that subsection.
  • R.S., 1985, c. R-4, s. 3;
  • R.S., 1985, c. 28 (3rd Supp.), s. 359. [...]
  • I suggest reading the entire Act.
upload_2017-2-4_13-3-19.png

http://www.brampton.ca/EN/City-Hall/Bylaws/Archive/033-1980.pdf

See also:
[...]

B5. Winston Churchill Boulevard from Royal Windsor Drive to Bromsgrove Road, Grade Separation with C.N. Rail.

CW-l 46-87:

Moved by Councillor P. Mullin,

That with regard to the widening of Winston Churchill Boulevard from Royal Windsor Drive to Bromsgrove Road, including the grade separation with CN Rail at Mile 17.93, Oakville Subdivision, the draft application to the Canadian Transport Commission be approved;

And further, that in accordance with the Ministry of Transportation and Communication Directive B-53, the necessary by-law be presented to Council in order that the Corporation obtain authority to apply to the Canadian Transport Commission on behalf of the Province of Ontario for

leave to construct and to the Minister of Transport Canada for a special grant toward construction costs under Part II of the Railway Relocation and Crossing Act;

And further, that an information centre be arranged to make residents in the area aware of the proposal;

And further, that staff continue to acquire the necessary road widenings as the property becomes available;

And further, that the Consultant be retained to provide further information as required in regards to the application, and at such time as Federal funding is approved, to proceed with the design plans for construction;

And further, that the Members of Parliament representing Halton and Peel be made aware of the request for Federal funding for this undertaking and asked to support this application;

And further, that the Region of Halton be requested to pass a recommendation to the same effect as the foregoing.
[...]

https://www.peelregion.ca/council/council_minutes/1980s/1987/rcmin19870709.htm

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-4_13-3-19.png
    upload_2017-2-4_13-3-19.png
    134.4 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
I, personally, support just dead ending the streets and not having any crossing there....but I do have some sympathy for the people in that neighbourhood who have already had one street dead ended to eliminate a crossing and having two more closed is probably a big upheaval for them.

mmmm....increased number of trains, streets being cut in half, more rail infrastructure...if only we had dealt with this before and had a model on which to base a solution? #weston

mmmm....increased number of trains, streets being cut in half, more rail infrastructure...if only we had dealt with this before and had a model on which to base a solution? #weston

#Monarch Park

Replace the crossing with a pedestrian underpass. This is on the Lakeshore East line, near Coxwell & Danforth.

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 1.24.38 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 1.24.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 1.24.38 AM.png
    932.1 KB · Views: 253

Back