News   May 17, 2024
 2.9K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

tenders like that take months and months of planning. This is just the first of many tenders Metrolinx is planning to put out this year - It almost certainly has nothing to do with tolling plans.
Of course it does, and it was sitting on the shelf gathering dust until this latest 'imperative' gave Wynne a card to play in her frozen hand. If you read back to some of the comments when this latest sub-string started a week or so ago, you'll see the tendering of the contract took a number by surprise. Not that it isn't contemporary, just that Wynne et al have had their priorities wrong. The whole corridor has been begging for the next steps to happen for years.

I think you'll be seeing some confirmation of that in the next little while, and an announcement (lol, Wynne is hanging on them) of 'impending action on "SmartTrack"'. She'll use that ugly term because it will assuage the wronged masses in TO. In reality, it's RER +, but she'll use any term that rings the right bells, and to save what little support she has. Electrification is still the big bug-a-boo to make that corridor happen the way it should, so also look for an interim step (duh!) to get some form of 'NearlySmartTrack' up and running. Electrification is still a decade away, if not more (contrary to all the announcements) yet the infrastructure to run frequent diesel service is almost all extant or imminently so. She just needs some form of 'action' to kill the pain of the face slap she just issued.

Most likely the same method or close to it that was used to move the 4 bridges into place for the West Toronto Diamond Grade Separation.

Yeah, it may even have been used or is scheduled to be used at the Lansdowne bridges. I'm sure the expertise and teams can be locally resourced. This is what I saw at the Queen Subway (underpass) years back. The rig to power the jacks and the jacks themselves were remarkably simple. (Evidence of the refurbished concrete sills is still clearly evident for the three ex-CP bridges. They also raised all three spans about a foot as well as move the extant two west to allow the new span to drop in).

Last edited:
Okay, so here's the story with the bridge from someone who was working on the project....

"When the GTS Project started, it was just to refurb/install bridges. At the time the bridge over Bloor was put in, the West Toronto Railpath was in the way so they put the bridge in a bit off-set from where it was actually required to go. They knew all along that they were going to have to shift it slightly when the time came. If you look at the abutments you can see the anchor bolts etc. for the new position."

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Okay, so here's the story with the bridge from someone who was working on the project....

"When the GTS Project started, it was just to refurb/install bridges. At the time the bridge over Bloor was put in, the West Toronto Railpath was in the way so they put the bridge in a bit off-set from where it was actually required to go. They knew all along that they were going to have to shift it slightly when the time came. If you look at the abutments you can see the anchor bolts etc. for the new position."

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Why I love the UT forums - we're literally all collectively detectives that discover things and get answers. Thanks Dan.

There's still more of a story to that on the diplomatic/political side as to dealing with the the railpath and the railpath bridge, which if visually examined closely, already shows sections broken off of the walkway struts, and the struts themselves in precarious shape. From the eye measurements I've made (and it will be very close) once the western struts have been removed from the rail-path bridge, the new bridge will clear and attain its intended alignment.

Sliding (jacking/ramming) a brand new bridge properly will have no consequence to its integrity, even older bridges of plate steel construction should be fine if well maintained, but the rail-path bridge is a good part cast and brittle, (this bridge was built in the era of the Titanic, and steel was nothing like modern steel) and won't move willingly in one piece, not to mention the concrete ballasting not staying in one piece if stressed.

Last edited:
If you are quoting someone's exact words without saying who they are, that's as good as meaningless.
It's by no means meaningless, just not as convincing as an attributed quote. There's times when someone has the story, but you can't quote them directly. I've had to paraphrase sources a number of times, and when challenged, defer to it being "hearsay"...albeit with integrity.

Last edited:
If you are quoting someone's exact words without saying who they are, that's as good as meaningless.
smallspy has good 'sources' reputation around here, as a train operator, and past information he has posted has often turned out to be reliable. An unattributed quote from smallspy is historically almost as good as an attributed quote.

Either way, as stevetoronto recognized the structural engineering of the bridge was designed "ikea style" with its bolt-together construction, wider abutment than it needed, and adjustable alignment* (asterik: additional centre pillars not included)

Last edited:
On the 'new Bloor bridge' I was intrigued by the choice of four massive I-beam construction until staring at the other bridges there, their having three supports across the underpass span (new bridge has just one at mid-span) and the *depth* of the bridges to allow sufficient clearance underneath vs. the track grade. The realization of why the four I-beams didn't click until taking a close look at the Queen Subway (underpass) spans:
upload_2017-1-31_10-26-12.png

Note where they get their structural rigidity from: It's *above* the load level, not below it. Also note how many more spans cross at that point now. I'm looking for some definitive history of Toronto's rail bridges from an engineering analysis. A number of those spans shown above have been moved together and apart to allow for other spans to go in. The abutment sills at the west end under the now extant three ex-CP spans were also raised, (about two feet) and this was long prior to the Dufferin re-alignment. (one span new in the last two decades, one as shown above, and one of the same construction added shortly after this pic was taken).

Two things make Googling for the bridge history a very difficult challenge. The name "Queen Street Subway". Guess what swamps that search! And the 'jog' realignment. Any reference to the earlier span realignment is also swamped.

Back to the Bloor Station bridges: Their three supports allowed for much less 'brutish' construction, and at the time, much more *affordable* construction. They were built later than the spans you see above, and ostensibly from cheaper steel that also relied on being filled with concrete to complete the load-bearing rating.

For obvious reasons, it must have been decided not to build the 'new Bloor bridge' that way, but a decision based on aesthetics as well as engineering must have been made for it to be 'shallow section' to fit with the other bridges. But it also had to sit off the intended final alignment and therefore be movable into that final position. It is even within the realm of engineering that no vertical support would be necessary (Paul raised this point earlier) but other factors must have prevailed over that, not the least moving it into places with cranes, and delivering it there by road. A decision must have been dictated by logistics to do it in two spans. As far as visual inspection shows, the two segments are completely unconnected albeit each section presents a tongue flange across their width to allow tying them together with a bond strip. This would provide lateral stiffness, but not vertical rigidity. It would secure alignment.

To allow the span to be in two sections, a centre vertical support would be unavoidable. What I can't yet visualize is how that vertical support structure is to be modified and/or buttressed to allow the jacking over of the approx two feet necessary. I can theorize at least a number of ways, including total removement of the present support structure while temporary support is installed until the final structure is put in place.

If any of you get a chance, check out the new bridge. It lacks the 'ornate' qualities of its senior neighbours, but has *magnitudes* of greater strength. It's a beautiful thing!

Edit to Add: On the 'Ikea style' as per Rejohn...I may have misled on that. I think the *potential* for disassembly might be there, I'd love to read an engineering description of whether that's a moot point or not, and the real thinking nowadays as to using bolt construction instead of rivets. Safety of assembly is obviously a huge one, but there might also be stress factors far better addressed at unions with washer and bolt construction. It may be the case that they *aren't* able to be disassembled, yet one more intriguing aspect of this bridge. What is beautiful to anyone who's done metal work assembly, even chassis work, is the flat head hex socket bolt use and chamfered hole assembly. (From the best visual I can get, they used 90 degrees)

upload_2017-1-31_11-2-9.png

These bolts were just used for the top deck secured (in aggregate) to each of the four I-beams underlying and to the side walkway assembly and wing flanges attached to retain the stone ballast. The actual load frame is all conventional nut and bolt with flat washers, albeit quality hardware.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-31_10-26-12.png
    upload_2017-1-31_10-26-12.png
    465.6 KB · Views: 306
  • upload_2017-1-31_11-2-9.png
    upload_2017-1-31_11-2-9.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
There is loud construction going on right now (11:00 pm) in the Union rail corridor. Loud scraping that can be heard all through the Cityplace. I see equipment and construction crew on the southern-most track.

It is late and people are trying to sleep. This is unacceptable.

Does anyone know what this is about? I will be falling CNR in the morning to complain (as advised by Toronto 311).

There is loud construction going on right now (11:00 pm) in the Union rail corridor. Loud scraping that can be heard all through the Cityplace. I see equipment and construction crew on the southern-most track.

Does anyone know what this is about? I will be falling CNR in the morning to complain (as advised by Toronto 311).
Could be a derailment.

I'm pretty sure that rail corridor has been there since before your building.

But fall them if you want to ... not that I know what CNR has to do with anything down there these days.

First of all, what does CNR has to do with this noise since they don't own the corridor anymore??? Its own by Metrolinx with CNR having running rights. If it was CNR Crews, they could have been hire by Metrolinx to do the work since they subcontract all that work in the first place.

You made the choice to live next/near the rail corridor and therefore you gave up your rights to noise from it 7/24 since you knew it exist.

You realize that any major trackwork or other items can be only done at nighttime since no trains are running? Some work can take place during the day when service is light, but its mostly light and small stuff. If you want work to be done during the day, better prepare for the backlash of riders when 50% of them have no way in/out of Toronto other than by car and what does that do to the current gridlock on the roads today??

What time of year is it now??? Being winter months, the ground is frozen and therefore require more effort to dig up as well more noise.

If you don't like the noise, "Move!!" since you are very young compare to the corridor that goes back to 1860's and gone under many different changes since then. It will continue for the next decade or so.

A few members of the board live or used to live in CityPlace and you don't see them complaining.

You do realize that a lot of the people that are in positions of knowledge of these kinds of things usually have non-disclosure agreements tied to their employment, right?

You can take it as meaningless if you like. Won't cause me to lose any sleep.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Metrolinx would ultimately be responsible for this work, not CN Rail. So if you have a concern it would be better to get in touch with Metrolinx directly. Edit: sorry, just realized others commented. Two resources to look at include this project map on Metrolinx's website (which shows work near City Place) and this PDF from GO Transit with construction details for the Union Station Rail Corridor, which City Place is located next to.

Last edited:
Are the tracks owned by Metrolinx or the TTR (Toronto Terminals Railway). Though I'm not actually sure who owns TTR these days.

Either way, surely it is TTR doing the work here, whether they own anything or not.

Good point. I've edited the post to be a little more careful. Also, I've found this December 2016 flyer about the York Street Bridge Rehabilitation and it lists a specific staff member responsible for hearing questions and concerns from the community about the Union Station Rail Corridor. So this could be a point of contact for the individual with the concern.

Are the tracks owned by Metrolinx or the TTR (Toronto Terminals Railway). Though I'm not actually sure who owns TTR these days.

Either way, surely it is TTR doing the work here, whether they own anything or not.

Back