News   Jul 04, 2024
 258     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 438     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 530     1 

GO Train Fares To Increase

You are correct that someone who travels a short distance all within 905 would also see a steep increase. That doesn't seem fair to me either!

You are correct that someone who travels a short distance all within 905 would also see a steep increase. That doesn't seem fair to me either!

Probably not but this is not a 905 v 416 issue it is a "common sense ticketing" issue.

I guess GO Transit really dislikes short-distance riders?

On a GO Train, whether the person is on for 100km or the last 1km to Union, they take the same amount of space on the train. Churn is pretty low, so to take on a passenger at Mimico the seat needs to be empty from Hamilton to Mimico.

Actually, I could see GO encouraging short trips which do not involve union station. Say a $2 fare from Oshawa to Guildwood since this rider is pretty much pure profit.

If anything, pricing to Union should hold a premium and pricing to/from any pair of stations which do not go through Union should be reduced in price. A passenger travelling from Oshawa to Guildwood is pure profit.

If anything, pricing to Union should hold a premium and pricing to/from any pair of stations which do not go through Union should be reduced in price. A passenger travelling from Oshawa to Guildwood is pure profit.
In peak perhaps; virtually all my GO travel is off-peak. I'm yet to ever have to stand on a train, despite boarding well within Toronto. And yet I'm charged this premium rate for simply using empty space.

I agree, GO should modify their fares to match the supply vs demand due to direction, destination, and time of day.

Last edited:
GO Transit Raises Fares 5% Again in 2010, Petition Against the Increase

GO Transit has done it again. They are increasing your monthly pass rate by 5% again this year, on top of the 5% increase last year. That is a 10% increase in just 2 years, while annual inflation is 1.2% as of December 2009, and was 1.3% as of March 2009.

To put the latest 5% increase in perspective:
- A rider traveling from Milton to Union will now pay $272 per month from $260 in 2009, $250 in 2008, and $246 in 2007. 8.8% increase since March 2008.
- A rider traveling from Oakville to Union will now pay $214.50 per month from $205 in 2009, and $195 in 2008. 10% increase since March 2008.

I have created a new petition for 2010 calling for a reduction in fares pegged at inflation since 2007, to conduct a complete review of GO Transit’s operating expenses and contracts, and and to develop and implement a strategy for economically sustainable and affordable transit in Ontario. I plan to send to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario.

I ask you for your support sign this year's petition against the fare increase.
Please sign here

Sincerely
Andrew

got ya. it is unfair that someone who only goes to one zone has to pay 25 cents more. why not raise the fare a few cents per zone, rather than per trip? travel on GO transit within toronto should be competive with TTC fares.

It is against the law for any transit system to compete with the TTC within Toronto...

On behalf of all of the 905ers, I would like to point out that KW is not part of the 905 and that collectively the 905 and 416 now seem to be subsidizing the 519ers.

LOL!

Seriously though, I want full-day service to existing stations before there is any expansion to the KW, Niagara Falls, Peterborough, etc. The parking expansions are all well and good, but we need more trains dammit.

It is against the law for any transit system to compete with the TTC within Toronto...

regarding fares? what if the prices were just slightly higher?

It would make more sense to merge the TTC with MT, BT, YRT, and DRT than to merge with GO Transit. Merger with GO transit is the least important thing.

regarding fares? what if the prices were just slightly higher?

I don't know. Personally, I think the law should just be struck down. Why is it okay for GO transit and MT to "compete" with each other but not with the TTC? I don't see the logic in that.

It would make more sense to merge the TTC with MT, BT, YRT, and DRT than to merge with GO Transit. Merger with GO transit is the least important thing.

Really? The TTC and its counterparts operate in different places. The TTC and GO operate in the same places. (Ditto for the TTC's counterparts and GO, of course.) Merger does away with the issue of agencies that just won't cooperate.

The TTC will always be the most important local agency for GO to cooperate with, as long as GO remains largely a commuter system dedicated to connecting businesses in the City of Toronto with labour living in the 905. And, right now, the biggest cooperation problem seems to be between the TTC and GO.

Back