News   Jul 25, 2024
 60     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 232     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 354     0 

GO Train Fares To Increase

NOTE TO STUDENTS!!!!!

When you compare 2009 to 2010 for student fares, the increase is much higher than the adult ticket increases.

For instance a student travelling to York U/Sheridan/Union from the following would experience the respective increase of: Aurora – 6.5%/10.9%/8.6%; Brampton 8.1%/8.7%/7.8%, Milton – 9.4%/7.4%/9.7%; Square One – 6.5%/5.8%/5.6%.

The student 10 rides passes are pretty much going up by 6.5% across the board.

Let the Government know you're not pleased with students being faced with MUCH HIGHER transit fare increases than adult fares!!!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/reject_go_fare_hike_2010/

If anyone is part of a University or College and is interested in spreading the word about the petition and collecting signatures, please let people know about the website. It has nearly 1700 signatures and is growing! 1200 signatures were submitted to the Metrolinx Board already. Next step is Queens Park.

It would mean more if you could collect real signatures with name and addresses.

^ just curious as to your definition of "much higher".....I think earlier you posted that the average fare hike is 5%.....now you are saying that student passes are going up, on average, 6.5%.....I'll take your word for both of those....is that extra 1.5% "much higher".....when fares go up (for anything) by "an average of X" that means some go up by less and some go up by more....in this case, student fares go up by a bit more than full fares do.......but it does not seem to be a huge difference. (to me).

You shouldn't take his word on any of this...he's basically lying. It's not his fault though...he's running for office, so he legally has to distort statistics (and stand up to those fat-cats in Toronto!!!).

Fares are being increased by 25c per trip. 10 packs and monthly's are being standardized. Students still get a steep discount.

You shouldn't take his word on any of this...he's basically lying. It's not his fault though...he's running for office, so he legally has to distort statistics (and stand up to those fat-cats in Toronto!!!).

Fares are being increased by 25c per trip. 10 packs and monthly's are being standardized. Students still get a steep discount.

GO Transit shows the old and new price for Student Monthly passes on their fare calculator. Check out www.gotransit.com.

The average fare increase for adults is 4.5%, while the fare increases for students from Brampton are going up 8%, Milton up 9%, and Mississauga 5.5%.

Here's what GO Transit is showing on their website in the fare calculator for Student Monthly passes (From - To - Old Price - New Price - Increase %):
Aurora to York, from $139 to $148 or up 6.5%
Aurora to Sheridan Oakville, from $267 to $296 or up 10.9%
Aurora to Union, from $163 to $177 or up 8.6%
Brampton to York, from $161 to $174 or up 8.1%
Brampton to Sheridan Oakville, from $184 to $200 or up 8.7%
Brampton to Union, from $166 to $179 or up 7.8%
Milton to York, from $191 to $209 or up 9.4%
Milton to Sheridan Oakville, from $149 to $160 or up 7.4%
Milton to Union, from $196 to $215 or up 9.7%
Milton to Waterloo, from $212 to $233 or up 9.9%
Oakville to York, from $172 to $187 or up 8.7%
Oakville to Union, from $157 to $169 or up 7.6%
Square One to York, from $139 to $148 or up 6.5%
Square One to Sheridan Oakville, from $120 to $127 or up 5.8%
Square One to Union, from $124 to $131 or up 5.6%

Last edited:
Pricing the poor out of higher education. Same old, same old.

Though, this is one reason why I'm moving downtown so I can walk to classes at Ryerson when I start there in September. I did the GO transit thing studying at George Brown St James last year from Pickering and that was about as much fun as sniffing glue.

GO Transit shows the old and new price for Student Monthly passes on their fare calculator. Check out www.gotransit.com.

The average fare increase for adults is 4.5%, while the fare increases for students from Brampton are going up 8%, Milton up 9%, and Mississauga 5.5%.

Here's what GO Transit is showing on their website in the fare calculator for Student Monthly passes (From - To - Old Price - New Price - Increase %):
Aurora to York, from $139 to $148 or up 6.5%
Aurora to Sheridan Oakville, from $267 to $296 or up 10.9%
Aurora to Union, from $163 to $177 or up 8.6%
Brampton to York, from $161 to $174 or up 8.1%
Brampton to Sheridan Oakville, from $184 to $200 or up 8.7%
Brampton to Union, from $166 to $179 or up 7.8%
Milton to York, from $191 to $209 or up 9.4%
Milton to Sheridan Oakville, from $149 to $160 or up 7.4%
Milton to Union, from $196 to $215 or up 9.7%
Milton to Waterloo, from $212 to $233 or up 9.9%
Oakville to York, from $172 to $187 or up 8.7%
Oakville to Union, from $157 to $169 or up 7.6%
Square One to York, from $139 to $148 or up 6.5%
Square One to Sheridan Oakville, from $120 to $127 or up 5.8%
Square One to Union, from $124 to $131 or up 5.6%

So your style of statistical analysis is to take the "average adult" fare increase and then compare it to a bunch of individual student increases that are higher and then shout "foul"....if I can list some adult increases that are also higher than the average will that convince you that there is no grand conspiracy against students? It is pretty simple, there is a flat increase....that, on a percentage basis, will be higher for lower fares.....since students have lower fares it looks worse for them.

Good luck for the election in Milton....if this is the hot ticket issue in town then life must be good....I think I will move there!

"These 5c plastic shopping bag fees are criminal! I bought a loaf of white bread and was billed 2.5%. 'Fancy-pants' behind me bought 3 lobsters and they only billed him 0.14%!!! They're punishing the poor!"

It funny how regressive GO fare policies are, the poorest paying the highest fares. Not just unfair fares for car-less riders, now students are seeing disproportionate fare increases also. But I guess that is what "premium" transit service is all about: exclusion.

It funny how regressive GO fare policies are, the poorest paying the highest fares. Not just unfair fares for car-less riders, now students are seeing disproportionate fare increases also. But I guess that is what "premium" transit service is all about: exclusion.

This is the second time you've appeared to be so wound up in class warfare bombast that straightforward math is failing you.

Even if we were to accept at face value your assumption that those who are students or don't get to GO stations via cars are our society's "poorest," to say they are "paying the highest fares" is an emphatic lie.

This is the second time you've appeared to be so wound up in class warfare bombast that straightforward math is failing you.

Even if we were to accept at face value your assumption that those who are students or don't get to GO stations via cars are our society's "poorest," to say they are "paying the highest fares" is an emphatic lie.

Agreed. The only difference really is that the discount students receive compared to the adult fares has been decreasing with seemingly every GO Transit fare hike.

I never said students are "paying the highest fares." I said people without cars are paying the highest fares. Learn to read, seriously.

And yes, in the suburbs, students and people without cars are most likely to have less money than other people. For many people transit is a necessity. Perhaps this is revelation to you and Corscanti Cognoscente, but I am sure most everyone else here already knows that transit a social service.

Back