News   Jul 25, 2024
 353     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 530     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 457     0 

GO Train Fares To Increase

I use the train on the Lakeshore East Line almost every day (including week-ends) from Pickering (usually) to Union or Exhibition (usually) so I see these stations every day....and use every single one of them on a regular basis.

Pickering parking lot: can be developed.
Rouge Hill parking lot: can be developed.
Guildwood parking lot: can be developed.
Eglinton parking lot: can be developed.
Scarborough parking lot: south lot, probably not much to do with it but it's possible; north lot, for sure can be developed and is a HUGE waste of space
Danforth: not much of a parking lot to speak of, thank the maker and what is there is shared with the community centre, I think

Of those, Pickering, Guildwood and Eglinton sure as hell can have high density, mixed use developments cover the wastes of space the parking lots currently are.

Even Scarborough and Rouge Hill can support mixed-use development, though of a lesser density than the others.

Pickering is slated to be a Metrolinx "hub" for flip's sake and look at its two lots.

I don't know where you got this 50% number from but I'll wager you pulled it out of your ass. Now, I know the Lakeshore East line is a small part of the GO Transit system but I still think it shows us just how much of GO Transit property is being wasted in its current state as a field of FREE parking.

I really don't understand how anyone can, in the 21st century, deem to defend surface parking lots.

Surface parking lots = easily the least efficient use of space, EVER

Forget it, they are not getting rid of parking lots.

Let that fantasy go out of your mind.

The second they do that they will have like 1/3 to half the people on the train.

Also the only reason Montreal has higher transit use is look at the distance between the suburbs to the inner city.

The ability to grow in all directions really reduces distances between burb and downtown.

PLus taking transit to a Station is a huge waste of time for anyone...

It takes me 10-15 mins at most to drive to Station... It would take me 30-40 mins on a Bus.

About getting out of the station, the Bus gets stuck in that quagmire as well.

For the record, I'm not defending surface parking at all. I have said two things: one is that many GO stations are in industrial areas, therefore there's really no point redeveloping them. The other is that parking is essential to the operation of GO transit.

Just to be clear: I was not at all suggesting they get rid of parking. I was suggesting they get rid of surface parking spots and replacing them with something with less of a footprint like above-ground parking or underground parking in tandem with a possible development.

They have to do something at most of these stations. You can't seriously suggest that offering FREE surface parking is at all logical or defensible. It's just too inefficient a use of space and can't continue.

This has bothered me for a while: because this country is so big, Canadians have a very hard time with the efficient use of space. This is one case where it is really evident (don't even get me started on "big box" developments!).

PS: Chuck, I wasn't suggesting that you specifically were defending surface parking; I meant to put that out there as being counter to anyone who would....seemingly the GO Transit apparatus in this case.

Last edited:
we have tons of space, There is still huge amounts of land in the 905 regions for subdivisions... :p

Just to be clear: I was not at all suggesting they get rid of parking. I was suggesting they get rid of surface parking spots and replacing them with something with less of a footprint like above-ground parking or underground parking in tandem with a possible development.

From what I understand, they tried this in Burlington. From what I heard, the design of the parking structure is horrible, with limited access and a major traffic jam getting in and out of the structure. Many people have resorted to parking illegally at surrounding businesses over wasting 30min getting out of the parking structure..

From what I understand, they tried this in Burlington. From what I heard, the design of the parking structure is horrible, with limited access and a major traffic jam getting in and out of the structure. Many people have resorted to parking illegally at surrounding businesses over wasting 30min getting out of the parking structure..

That's a problem of design though isn't it? Doesn't make the idea a bad one.

Not that they know much about smart design, there at GO. Their current lots are a bloody mess as well.

we have tons of space, There is still huge amounts of land in the 905 regions for subdivisions... :p

I know.....don't forget big box!

All that fertile farmland is starting to piss me off. We should cover as much of it as possible in shitty, 2x4 and stucco constructs.

In all fairness, Mississauga has run out of greenfields to develop. I know it's a shame. I wish we could build more subdivisions here. God knows thats why we're trying to annex a slice of Milton.

Subdivisions, my eye! They should annex ALL of Milton and turn into a big box shopping lifestyle surface parking lot destination!!!!!

We're running out of Subways and Shoppers Drug Marts and Walmarts and....won't anyone think of the children!?!?!

Subdivisions, my eye! They should annex ALL of Milton and turn into a big box shopping lifestyle surface parking lot destination!!!!!

We're running out of Subways and Shoppers Drug Marts and Walmarts and....won't anyone think of the children!?!?!

So we should all shop at little, overpriced, snotty, snoby and arrogant boutiques with rude service at the Beaches and Yorkville!?!?! I'll stick to my Costco (best service) and Wal-Mart (cheap) . The reason those stores are built is that there is a demand for them.

How does a debate on Go Train parking go to big box stores?!?!?!

Back