News   Jul 12, 2024
 756     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 691     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 301     0 

Globe: What's wrong with Toronto? Nothing a good mayor couldn't fix

"Once upon a time, Chicago and Toronto were neck and neck in the great-city stakes. That was a long time ago."

A very long time ago: 1820 I believe.

Toronto can be a great city...we're great at defining "great city" differently than every other city in the world so that we come out on top.

A very long time ago: 1820 I believe.

Toronto in 1820 was much more prominent than Chicago. In fact Chicago as a city did not exist until 1837. Before then it was known as Fort Dearborn (named after Henry Dearborn, Secretary of War under Thomas Jefferson and was one of the commanders of the invasion of York during the War of 1812).

I've never been to Chicago so I'm curious, do they constantly compare themselves there to Toronto??

I've never been to Chicago so I'm curious, do they constantly compare themselves there to Toronto??
Some Chicago urbanists and politicians likely recognize some things that Toronto does indeed do better. However, I doubt Toronto plays much of a role at all in the minds of most Chicagoans.

Comparing Chicago and Toronto

Everyone: This is an interesting comparison between the two largest cities on the Great Lakes. Toronto and Chicago I believe can learn good things from one another. They are both great cities with much to offer anyone. LI MIKE

This has got to be one of the dumbest articles I've ever read...

So condos face south TO THE LAKE because New York is there? Right...

Some Chicago urbanists and politicians likely recognize some things that Toronto does indeed do better. However, I doubt Toronto plays much of a role at all in the minds of most Chicagoans.

Then it's just like here.

I'm not one for city comparison competitions as they usually take away from exploring deeper issues - in this case - the efforts of council and the mayor with respect to the city and its evolution. It is easy to blame all of council for poor performance when it is the actions of some councillors that holds back and fouls up efforts of the entire council to move an agenda forward.

I am disappointed with Miller. I think he talks the talk, but has big problems following through. Just as examples, there was the "City Beautiful" campaign. It is a great idea, and one that is much needed as city assets begin to crumble here and there. What has happened to this effort? Has it been replaced by pursuits for being the "greenest" city? Will that effort be followed through, or will it also falter a year or two down the road? I like the guy on many levels, but I feel as if he can't quite get himself to focus on something (and that certainly is not all his fault).

There are good ideas out there, but the will to push them through is not so strong. The necessary fire all to often fades to slogans, an then is forgotten. With respect to Chicago, it is not so much about what is being done there, but that things are getting done. We don't have to copy Chicago; we have more than enough talent in this city to come up with improvements and additions to create something unique.

There just seems to be too little wind in the sails right now.

Miller paid for City Beautiful by slashing maintenance in the suburbs...flowers are no longer planted in my local park, the grass isn't cut as often, the streets are swept/washed maybe triennially, etc.

Oh, sure, I know the city got a raw deal from the province and the feds. But other cities have figured out how to deliver services far more efficiently than Toronto. Other cities have imposed unpopular user fees (road tolls, anyone?) Not Toronto.

Hold on... is this Margaret Wente arguing in FAVOUR of congestion fees?

I am disappointed with Miller. I think he talks the talk, but has big problems following through.

...witness: His absence this past weekend for Luminato and the ROM opening.

The main issue in the article, despite some absurdities on the part of the writer, remains valid: see what a city can achieve and be when led by a strong and effective mayor with vision. Poor leadership has been Toronto's issue all along, and probably has been since the days of Nathan Phillips.

That's going waaayyyy back. That's some major generalization - wrapping Phillips, Givens, Crombie, Sewell, Eggleton, Rowlands, Hall, Lastman and Miller with one big generalization.

It's true I am generalizing, and some mayors have been more or less effective than others, to be sure; but in terms of a 'great' leader, I feel that the generalization regarding a lack thereof since Phillips remains plausible.

Back