News   Jun 17, 2024
 282     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 291     0 
News   Jun 17, 2024
 444     0 

Globe: Second NHL Team for Toronto?

This entire escapade seems like a stupid joke. An NHL team is not viable in Phoenix, period. An NHL team would flourish and be immensely profitable in Hamilton, period.

Why are these morons fighting the most obvious solution to this problem?

Why are these morons fighting the most obvious solution to this problem?

Probably because they finally realize how much more they could make in expansion fees by awarding awarding a second team to Toronto or placing one in Hamilton. They could also deal with the issue of the Leafs and Sabres under their own terms avoiding potential lawsuits as well. I imagine MLSE would get all kinds of goodies thrown in such as having a more preferable schedule (ie. no competing Saturday night 7:00pm home games), Leafs TV exclusivity for a number of the new franchise's games and maybe even control of their building (it's happened before in sports and MLSE has a slick building management operation). In otherwords, the NHL could keep everyone happy and maximize their profits. This is not being done on their own terms so it's a huge potential missed opportunity. If it weren't for the absurd push into non-hockey, money-losing markets I'm sure we'd have had our second team long by now.

Probably because they finally realize how much more they could make in expansion fees by awarding awarding a second team to Toronto or placing one in Hamilton. They could also deal with the issue of the Leafs and Sabres under their own terms avoiding potential lawsuits as well. I imagine MLSE would get all kinds of goodies thrown in such as having a more preferable schedule (ie. no competing Saturday night 7:00pm home games), Leafs TV exclusivity for a number of the new franchise's games and maybe even control of their building (it's happened before in sports and MLSE has a slick building management operation). In otherwords, the NHL could keep everyone happy and maximize their profits. This is not being done on their own terms so it's a huge potential missed opportunity.

If that's the case then I'm glad things are going the way they are. MLSE deserves absolutely none of that.

Last edited:
uhh... such as? Last time I checked, the Jays, Raptors, and Toronto FC are all quite profitable. It's only ignorant puck-heads threatened by the success of other sports in Toronto who seem to bring up that (stupid) argument.

I was talking about the NHL's push into the southern US markets... if it weren't for all those countless expansion teams and relocations into non-hockey markets I'm quite sure there'd be another team in either Toronto or Hamilton by now.

I was talking about the NHL's push into the southern US markets... if it weren't for all those countless expansion teams and relocations into non-hockey markets I'm quite sure there'd be another team in either Toronto or Hamilton by now.

oops... my mistake. i blame my sunday morning hangover for misreading that.

but yes i completely agree. and i think bettman is to blame for it all...

I'm not a hopeless Leaf supporter loser, I'm willing to drive to watch a winning team and playoff hockey, something i doubt i will ever see in my life time in Toronto.

I'm not a hopeless Leaf supporter loser, I'm willing to drive to watch a winning team and playoff hockey, something i doubt i will ever see in my life time in Toronto.

Thankfully Detroit is only 5-6 hours away :D

How old are you? The Leafs have missed the playoffs the last 3 years, sure....but prior to that they were regularly in the playoffs....I ask how old you are because you are very well spoken for a 3 year old if you have never seen the Leafs with a winning record and in the playoffs ;) ;) ;)

How old are you? The Leafs have missed the playoffs the last 3 years, sure....but prior to that they were regularly in the playoffs....I ask how old you are because you are very well spoken for a 3 year old if you have never seen the Leafs with a winning record and in the playoffs

lol watching the Leafs in the playoffs is like watching a dog chase it's tail, there's really no point in them even getting that far. Aside from knocking out a much better Ottawa team several times and an almost Stanley cup birth back in the early 90's in LA I believe (I was about 13 at the time) what else has this pathetic excuse for a franchise done? The Raptors have given us more excitement in their short lifetime.

Leafs supporters are a nutty bunch, then again it seems as if they're the same type of people that like wrestling lol

lol at that photo.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find another team in all of pro sports that is as well supported and profitable as the Leafs, yet never wins.

The amount of time/money invested by Leafs fans must be unreal, a real poor return for their entertainment dollars/time that's for sure! Probably the worst anywhere.

I'd do anything to trade-in MLSE for Mark Cuban. Give us an owner that at least has some passion for the game. Ted Rogers obviously cared a lot about the Blue Jays and even though they never won under him they are a drastically better ball club than before, he even spent a lot of money upgrading the dome that probably has had zero impact on attendance. MLSE would never do that.
Actually, Ted never much cared for the Jays but bought them because he was a very civic-minded person and because he was talked into it by certain Rogers executives. The rumour now is that Rogers is looking into the possibility of selling the team, though I can't imagine anyone other than an American being interested (which brings into question their long-term viability in Toronto).

The Jays have been drastically better under Rogers ownership? I don't agree with that. Marginally better, okay, and maybe a notch above that, but no way drastically.

Mark Cuban certainly isn't corporate, but he goes too far the other way. I'd pass on him given the choice.

So you think that spending equates to passion? There are few organisations that have spent more on their hockey team over the years than MLSE....in the pre-cap era they were one of the biggest spenders annually (right there with the Rangers) and one of the problems that they have had since the cap came in is that they have had too many players who were earning big dollars and not letting them spend/recuit further depth/quality......so how much more could they spend?

As for they would never spend on the facility? What do you think they are doing right now? Between the new scoreboard and the new atrium, entrance/exits to York and Union station they are spending, literally, 10s of millions of dollars improving a 10 year old facility.....what is your definition of "never".

Yes, is the exact opposite of MLSE....instead of building his own arena entirely with his own cash and then upgrading it 10 years later with, again, his own cash....he dangles a team in front of Hamilton and says "only if you spend $120 million of your money on your arena".

mmmm precisely not the kind of owner I want....Hamilton can have him!!!!
MLSE also used their political clout to get a free soccer-specific stadium for FC that was clearly supposed to be multi-purpose (they and the CSA really pulled a fast one), and obtained totally unnecessary taxpayer help to upgrade their practice facility at Lakeshore Arena.

Copps is scheduled to be upgraded by Hamilton sooner rather later, so perhaps half of that $120M will be spent no matter what.

And some of those other MLSE expenses you're talking about are part of their condo developments near the ACC.

lol at that photo.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find another team in all of pro sports that is as well supported and profitable as the Leafs, yet never wins.

Every heard of the Cubs? Red Sox 1903-2006? I guess you don't follow sports that much

Back